Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla slashes thousands of dollars from MSRP overnight

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 03:07 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Tesla slashes thousands of dollars from MSRP overnight

Tesla slashes thousands of dollars off the price of new electric cars

Tesla cut prices overnight on its three-strong line of electric vehicles by as much as 6% in North America. The biggest price reductions come on Tesla's older Model S and Model X, while the smaller and newer Model 3 sees smaller cuts. The automaker hasn't offered any reason for the discounts, but it's not a stretch to assume Tesla is looking to boost sales that went stagnant in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and related shutdowns across much of the country.

Right now, Tesla website's shows the starting price for its Model S sedan is now $74,990, a $5,000 drop from what was displayed just yesterday. The Model X SUV now starts at at $79,990, $5,000 less than the $84,990 sticker from before. Upgraded Model S and X Performance variants saw matching $5,000 cuts.

The lowest-priced Model 3 sedan is $2,000 cheaper at $37,990. The Long Range starts at $46,990 and the Performance at $54,990.

Tesla also said its Supercharger quick-charging service will no longer be free to new customers of its Model S sedans and Model X sport utility vehicles (SUVs).

Auto retail sales in the United States likely halved in April from a year earlier, showed data from J.D. Power. However, sales in May are likely to improve due to pent-up demand and incentives offered by most carmakers, the analytics firm said.

Automakers including General Motors, Ford and Fiat Chrysler are offering 0% financing rates and deferred payment options for new purchases.

Factories in the United States started to reopen earlier this month with suppliers gearing up to support an auto industry employing nearly 1 million people.

Tesla was briefly forced to stop work at its Fremont, California, factory due to stay-at-home orders. It resumed production after resolving a dispute over safety measures with local authorities.

Tesla said it will also cut prices in China — as per usual after price adjustments in the United States — by around 4% for the Model X and Model S.

Tesla China, which is delivering Model 3 sedans from its Shanghai factory, in a Weibo post said it has also cut prices for the Model S and Model X cars it imports, but will keep prices of locally made Model 3 cars unchanged.
Source
Old 05-27-20, 03:08 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

The move is to make up for lost sales. But now is a great time if you're looking for a Tesla
Old 05-28-20, 08:02 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

I am waiting for my Tesla pickup
Old 05-28-20, 09:40 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

So what happens to the people that bought the day before the price drop? This is an outright price reduction vs some form of incentives.
Old 05-28-20, 10:35 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 277 Posts

Wonder why they pictured a silver Model 3...Tesla doesn't offer the Model 3 in that color. I loved the Model S when it came in silver - I hope this is a sign that they'll offer that color on other models more consistently - it looks great.
Old 05-28-20, 11:07 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
So what happens to the people that bought the day before the price drop? This is an outright price reduction vs some form of incentives.
Just bad timing for the person who bought a day earlier (unless Tesla is going to offer a "price adjustment" for those people)? Seems like this sort of thing happens all the time in retail, no?
Old 05-28-20, 11:08 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Same thing as when someone negotiates a better deal at the dealer, they just have to deal with it. If they're within their 7 day return window, they could potentially try to return or use it as leverage to recoup some of that money

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Wonder why they pictured a silver Model 3...Tesla doesn't offer the Model 3 in that color. I loved the Model S when it came in silver - I hope this is a sign that they'll offer that color on other models more consistently - it looks great.
They offered it in the first year of production of the 3 but cut it shortly thereafter. I saw one at a supercharger last year and it's a nice shade of silver
Old 05-28-20, 11:15 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Most consumers don’t want EVs when gas prices are below $2.00

Tesla will have it’s niche and lead EV market for at least next 10years but most cars will continue to be gas powered for foreseeable future.

i expect Ford to take huge losses on their Mustang EV crossover.

Old 05-28-20, 12:17 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

This is not a good sign but I bet the stock booms and some will say this is bullish for Tesla. The demand must really be drying up between unemployment and gas prices
Old 05-28-20, 12:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lend0
This is not a good sign but I bet the stock booms and some will say this is bullish for Tesla. The demand must really be drying up between unemployment and gas prices
Well, they didn't include the Model Y on the list and that's where all the Tesla demand is right now. Model 3 sales were declining in North America as soon as Model Y hit so i'm not surprised at their discounting. The Model S and X are pretty niche and to offset the $5k discount, they removed the free Supercharging. I see a lot more Model Ys these days. I bet this eats into RX sales.
Old 05-28-20, 01:29 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Most consumers don’t want EVs when gas prices are below $2.00

Tesla will have it’s niche and lead EV market for at least next 10years but most cars will continue to be gas powered for foreseeable future.

i expect Ford to take huge losses on their Mustang EV crossover.
Where is gas prices $2.00? Before Covid, premium gas was 3.80 in the Bay Area, and then dropped to a low of $3.15. Now, it is already back to $3.40. I would argue that most Tesla customers are going to be coastal, where gas prices will always be high compared to states in middle America.
Old 05-28-20, 02:25 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Where is gas prices $2.00? Before Covid, premium gas was 3.80 in the Bay Area, and then dropped to a low of $3.15. Now, it is already back to $3.40. I would argue that most Tesla customers are going to be coastal, where gas prices will always be high compared to states in middle America.
I live in FL and regular unleaded is at/just under $2 here - I put premium in my cars and it's $2.40. I know the gas equation factors into the decision making process for EV shoppers, but I personally believe Tesla buyers would tend to ignore some/most/all of that in order to be part of the customer base. Their brand is really strong. I just did a road trip to GA where I saw regular unleaded gas for $1.59/gallon in certain areas. There was no shortage of Tesla's (all models actually) driving around Atlanta.
Old 05-28-20, 03:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well, they didn't include the Model Y on the list and that's where all the Tesla demand is right now. Model 3 sales were declining in North America as soon as Model Y hit so i'm not surprised at their discounting. The Model S and X are pretty niche and to offset the $5k discount, they removed the free Supercharging. I see a lot more Model Ys these days. I bet this eats into RX sales.
i bet a lot of people want Y's that previously were interested in 3's, but with reports of foul production quality, not to mention the pandemic, not to mention unemployment, i bet tons are holding off entirely. this crushes ALL tesla sales. they chose not to discount Y's because they're the new shiny object.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Where is gas prices $2.00? Before Covid, premium gas was 3.80 in the Bay Area, and then dropped to a low of $3.15. Now, it is already back to $3.40.
filled my car on saturday... was $1.85 a gallon!

Old 05-28-20, 04:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i bet a lot of people want Y's that previously were interested in 3's, but with reports of foul production quality, not to mention the pandemic, not to mention unemployment, i bet tons are holding off entirely. this crushes ALL tesla sales. they chose not to discount Y's because they're the new shiny object.

filled my car on saturday... was $1.85 a gallon!
There is no inventory of Model Y. They are sold out so Elon of course goes nuts and goes all out to start production. Very few people are cancelling their Model Y order...not surprising as this unemployment hasn't hit the demographic that typically buys Teslas. I've been following the stock and inventory carefully and Tesla will do far better than a lot of other manufacturers.
Old 05-28-20, 04:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Here's a little secret. People buy Tesla because it's a good car not just because it's an EV.

Quick Reply: Tesla slashes thousands of dollars from MSRP overnight