Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Acura TLX

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 10:56 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
It is one of the higher quality if not highest quality interior in class at least in regards to the RDX which is similar, the plastics are soft, plenty of soft touch surfaces, real metal and wood trim. That is a poor quality picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI01elp9kxM

Type S interior
🤢🤮

Still looks cheap and that center stack is just hideous. Looks like it's all just crammed in there. Looks sloppy
Old 08-25-20, 11:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
🤢🤮

Still looks cheap and that center stack is just hideous. Looks like it's all just crammed in there. Looks sloppy
Haha...tell us how you really feel. At least its not boring
Old 08-25-20, 11:59 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Haha...tell us how you really feel. At least its not boring
I'd rather have Tesla's boring interior than sloppy, overly busy.
Old 08-25-20, 03:23 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Which Mazda? I don't see the resemblance.
Mazda 6 which is actually less busy , cleaner, looks better and more upscale. How do they not even have a digital gauge cluster. SMH

Old 08-26-20, 06:12 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The interior is very Japanese.... I could see why he said Mazda as there is some resemblance but Mazda is way more toned down. Definitely not following the Germans and very different from the current trends of minimalism.
To me, Mazda interiors look closer to some German interiors..

2020 Mazda6

2020 A4

2021 TLX

I guess I just don't see it. But I'm probably focusing on broader things like the dash shape and center console. I do like the way Acura does the infotainment screen (short and wide). The dash just looks really busy on the TLX. I guess it's nice to not have to dig through infotainment menus, but there are so many buttons that you end up button-hunting instead.
Old 08-26-20, 07:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
It is one of the higher quality if not highest quality interior in class at least in regards to the RDX which is similar, the plastics are soft, plenty of soft touch surfaces, real metal and wood trim. That is a poor quality picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI01elp9kxM

Type S interior

I like it, NOT BORING PLAIN CRAP.
Old 08-26-20, 07:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

2020 Mazda6

2020 A4

2021 TLX

I guess I just don't see it. But I'm probably focusing on broader things like the dash shape and center console. I do like the way Acura does the infotainment screen (short and wide). The dash just looks really busy on the TLX. I guess it's nice to not have to dig through infotainment menus, but there are so many buttons that you end up button-hunting instead.
I think its just looks busy as the transmission is smack in the middle of the vertical console. I don't understand why it has to be so big and goofy looking. Minimalism can be done well which i rather like vs. the million button style. I think the Polestar 2 which can also be a competitor at mid $50k looks great vs. the TLX and runs native Android as the infotainment!

Old 08-26-20, 08:37 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Is that a handrest beside the cupholders on the 2021 TLX interior? That's a nice touch.
Old 08-26-20, 08:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Is that a handrest beside the cupholders on the 2021 TLX interior? That's a nice touch.
I think it's a "wrist rest" for using the navigation touchpad.
Old 08-26-20, 08:48 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think it's a "wrist rest" for using the navigation touchpad.
I'm not a fan of the touchpads at all. I think almost all of the manufacturers are now going touchscreen because its just better. I even liked the goofy mouse stick on the Lexus IS vs. the touchpad...had plenty of NX loaners which had it and really disliked it
Old 08-26-20, 08:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm not a fan of the touchpads at all. I think almost all of the manufacturers are now going touchscreen because its just better. I even liked the goofy mouse stick on the Lexus IS vs. the touchpad...had plenty of NX loaners which had it and really disliked it
I prefer the mouse/remote touch over the touchpads, but I could easily live with a touchpad. When I've had them as loaners (also NX) I haven't really had any issues with them, though I usually adjust the settings a bit and find it to be easy to use.
Old 08-26-20, 01:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

2020 Mazda6

2020 A4

2021 TLX

It is a more sporty techy dash but still looks mostly good to me, I don't find it busy. I would much rather have physical buttons then that awful touchscreen setup they have on the original TLX. You are not going to be button hunting, the buttons are clear and will fall to hand quickly with ownership, one press and it does what you want, thankfully they took mercy on owners and gave back physical seat heat/cool buttons instead of putting them in the touchscreen. I would rather have most physical buttons for the radio too instead of many functions buried in that screen.
Old 08-26-20, 01:28 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Have you used the Acura system? I actually find it fairly quick to use. You don't have to keep looking at the screen and focus on where a cursor is. And their mapping uses large icons/buttons that are quickly selectable with the relative position touch on the touchpad. Still not as direct as a conventional touchscreen that everyone is moving back to, but it was much less frustrating than the remote touch pad in say... the Lexus NX.
Old 08-26-20, 02:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the Polestar 2 which can also be a competitor at mid $50k looks great vs. the TLX and runs native Android as the infotainment!

Looks excellent!!!!! - but where are the a/c vents.....on top of the dash?? LOL
Old 08-26-20, 04:39 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's weird people hate the "Ipad Glued to the dash" look but praise Tesla and Polestar who use an actual tablet for their center console. Talk about glued on Ipad lol.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX