Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Acura TLX

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 02:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
You're going off some hypothetical fully loaded build, that Acura hasn't shown any intention to have these "unlisted" packages that you are counting on. Even so, those features you've listed don't add $15,000.
My guess is $60k upper limit. I can't see them going much higher given the specs. $70k is getting near M3 territory
Old 09-15-20, 02:11 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
My guess is $60k upper limit. I can't see them going much higher given the specs. $70k is getting near M3 territory

It'll be over 60k for sure and isn't the base price over 50k?
Old 09-15-20, 02:13 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Gosh, I love this moving of goalposts. First it's fully loaded at $50K, now it's "fully loaded at $55K" even though it's missing $10K worth of features before any extra packages lol. And somehow Acura doesn't even offer basic economy car options like automatic windshield wipers on a $55K car.... just lmao.

Originally Posted by Kense
The TLX doesn't even have folding mirrors or cooled seats but you think it will have 15K worth of options LOL.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but every feature I listed is available on the TLX in the Advanced package. Not standard on the Type S that starts at $55K though.

Last edited by Motorola; 09-15-20 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 02:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JBison73
It'll be over 60k for sure and isn't the base price over 50k?
We should have a board on the guesses for the price Who cares what it is...the fun is in the guess. In reality, the car will appeal to those that like its looks and put performance second. I think most people are like that and therefore choose BMW as it looks good, fast, and has the prestige. The few that like extreme performance opt for things like an M3 but the other factors usually outweigh outright performance. That is why true disruption is so rare in car segments...even if the Type S was faster than the M340, i doubt it would outsell it.
Old 09-15-20, 02:23 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Motorola,

Who in their right mind going to spend that much on an Acura sedan, Lexus could charge that and get away but not Acura lol, plus i thought you were a Genesis/Stinger fan. Those cars are superior at thousands less, Acura doesn't have the prestige of the Germans. The SH-AWD is all hype and is inferior to the systems the Germans offer.

Ps. did they not struggle to move the faux NSX, this will be even harder, expect 30% off lol. right now all Acura's are leasing for peanuts even the RDX, see Leasehackr.

Last edited by EXE46; 09-15-20 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 02:28 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
They add to 8-10k or more.......which pushes it well into the 60's. 50k is wayyyy off unless you're buying a base model. Anything over 60k and his estimate is more accurate.
Sorry, but those features in no way add up to 8-10K more. 8-10K is the entire walk from Base TLX to Advance. A-Spec to Advance is $2,000

And Acura has not shown any plan that they're adding substantial content in any sort of package (s) to the Type S other than some accessory type wheels. So in Acura's eyes, the "base price" for the Type S could very well be their "Fully Loaded" model.
Old 09-15-20, 02:36 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, but those features in no way add up to 8-10K more. 8-10K is the entire walk from Base TLX to Advance. A-Spec to Advance is $2,000

And Acura has not shown any plan that they're adding substantial content in any sort of package (s) to the Type S other than some accessory type wheels. So in Acura's eyes, the "base price" for the Type S could very well be their "Fully Loaded" model.
Except that Advance Package can't be combined with the standard A-Spec TLX, so it's not as simple as adding a mere $2000.

You are correct that Acura may not offer any of the Advance Package features on the Type S though. Still, just because the features are unavailable to be added doesn't mean that the Type S in its current form is "fully loaded".

Last edited by Motorola; 09-15-20 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 02:37 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
We should have a board on the guesses for the price Who cares what it is...the fun is in the guess. In reality, the car will appeal to those that like its looks and put performance second. I think most people are like that and therefore choose BMW as it looks good, fast, and has the prestige. The few that like extreme performance opt for things like an M3 but the other factors usually outweigh outright performance. That is why true disruption is so rare in car segments...even if the Type S was faster than the M340, i doubt it would outsell it.
Acura is dead and has been for decades at least BMW, Audi and Mercedes still make serious driver's car. M340i is a great alternative to the M3 for less, M3 is still at least 10k more above the M340I. Many prior owners who switched over prefer it's comfort and has remarked that it's almost as fast or even faster except at high speeds.

Furthermore, some claim they could never utilize the M3's power as a street car since it was overkill. Many of these M3's never see the track so some of those owners who has got the M thing done has now default to the M340 therefore it's very presence is relevant. It's makes sense to have it along with the M3.
Old 09-15-20, 02:43 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Except that Advance Package can't be combined with the standard A-Spec TLX, so the actual price difference is not a mere $2000.

You are correct that Acura may not offer any of the Advance Package features on the Type S though. Still, just because the features are unavailable to be added doesn't mean that the Type S in its current form is "fully loaded".
Why does it mean the actual price difference is not a mere $2,000?

In fact the gap could potentially be less, since the Advance also adds adaptive dampers over the A-Spec, and the Type S already has this. Type S also has the 16 way seats, up from the A-Spec's 12 way.

So that would then indicate that adding in the "missing" advance content to the Type S would be less than the $2,000 walk that A-Spec to Advance is now.

And if something is not available to be added, it would by definition be fully loaded.
Old 09-15-20, 02:52 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EXE46
Motorola,

Who in their right mind going to spend that much on an Acura sedan, Lexus could charge that and get away but not Acura lol, plus i thought you were a Genesis/Stinger fan. Those cars are superior at thousands less, Acura doesn't have the prestige of the Germans. The SH-AWD is all hype and is inferior to the systems the Germans offer.
I'm not sure, because Acura was content with selling the RLX for years that could be equipped up to $65K, even though few people actually bought it. My theory is that the Type S will be a relatively low-volume car targeted at Honda enthusiasts like the Civic Type R, while the standard TLX will be the volume seller.

I don't have any loyalty to any particular brand, and I'll gladly roast the Stinger for its rather low-grade interior that isn't worth anywhere near its asking price and surpassed by other recent Kias that cost half as much. However, I really like the direction that the Koreans are going in with their recent vehicles, especially as I see other brands struggling with their lineup.
Old 09-15-20, 02:54 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Why does it mean the actual price difference is not a mere $2,000?

In fact the gap could potentially be less, since the Advance also adds adaptive dampers over the A-Spec, and the Type S already has this. Type S also has the 16 way seats, up from the A-Spec's 12 way.

So that would then indicate that adding in the "missing" advance content to the Type S would be less than the $2,000 walk that A-Spec to Advance is now.

And if something is not available to be added, it would by definition be fully loaded.
Okay, if it were that simple, can you give me an explanation as to why there isn't an available feature to add the A-Spec and Advanced packages together then? If it was as simple as adding a feature set onto an existing vehicle, and it doesn't dramatically increase the price, then why has Acura not done it? Am I supposed to believe that someone who drives a Type S would not want basic features like automatic windshield wipers or a heated steering wheel?
Old 09-15-20, 02:55 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Acura is dead and has been for decades at least BMW, Audi and Mercedes still make serious driver's car. M340i is a great alternative to the M3 for less, M3 is still at least 10k more above the M340I. Many prior owners who switched over prefer it's comfort and has remarked that it's almost as fast or even faster except at high speeds.

Furthermore, some claim they could never utilize the M3's power as a street car since it was overkill. Many of these M3's never see the track so some of those owners who has got the M thing done has now default to the M340 therefore it's very presence is relevant. It's makes sense to have it along with the M3.
It makes sense. I can't see having a car much faster than I have now. Now Lexus just needs to get here so everyone on Car Chat is happy
Old 09-15-20, 02:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Lol, nobody in their right mind would pay 60/70k for a FWD Acura sedan with faux tech SH-AWD which is junk compared to the competition's AWD. Those will sit on lots and then they're forced to sell at 20k discount. Acura would be dumb to price it that high.
SH-awd is the best most advanced AWD system available, there is nothing faux or junk about it.
Old 09-15-20, 02:56 PM
Ismelllike
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting all the arguing about something no one really knows.
Old 09-15-20, 02:59 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Check these dimensions relative to the competition, they bench marked the ancient Audi S4 but manage to build a much larger car. This sure shouldn't be compared to what's referred to as " compact sports sedan" today. The M340i is already as big a car I am comfortable with, yet this is longer lol. This is more A6/5'er competition, maybe then the price point makes sense haha/

Length
Giulia: 182.5 in
G70: 184.4 in
C-Class: 184.5 in
3 Series: 185.7 in
CT4: 187.2 in
A4: 187.4 in
E-Class: 193.8 in
CT5: 193.8 in
A6: 194.4 in
5 Series: 194.6 in
TLX: 194.6 in