Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Acura TLX

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
New TLX popped on You Tube with Alex doing the review.
Although a couple of others come close, I still think Alex is the best reviewer in the business, particularly for buyers who are seeking as much useful information on a vehicle as possible before signing on the dotted line.
Old 09-28-20, 04:46 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
I drive my LS460 slowly and smoothly because I enjoy the driving experience. Folks who drive fast and aggressive probably hate being in their cars
Folks who drive their LS460 fast and aggressively probably hate being in their cars.
Folks who drive their tuned sports cars slowly and smoothly definitely hate being in their cars.
Old 09-28-20, 05:44 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple. Drive a little more sedately.
Buy an Accord then. After all, the TLX is slower (compared to the 2.0T), heavier, more cramped, and more expensive. It isn't exactly quieter or more comfortable of a ride, and the build quality and materials, according to Alex, are average at best. The only advantage the TLX seems to have over the Accord is that it handles better due to SH-AWD. If it can't utilize the one aspect that makes it better than the Accord because its Audi S7-size tires are incapable of entering basic highway entrance ramps without violently squealing, then what is the point?
Old 09-28-20, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Folks who drive their LS460 fast and aggressively probably hate being in their cars.
Folks who drive their tuned sports cars slowly and smoothly definitely hate being in their cars.

Well, if they dislike being in their own cars so much, they can call Lyft or Uber.
Old 09-28-20, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Buy an Accord then. After all, the TLX is slower (compared to the 2.0T), heavier, more cramped, and more expensive. It isn't exactly quieter or more comfortable of a ride, and the build quality and materials, according to Alex, are average at best. The only advantage the TLX seems to have over the Accord is that it handles better due to SH-AWD. If it can't utilize the one aspect that makes it better than the Accord because its Audi S7-size tires are incapable of entering basic highway entrance ramps without violently squealing, then what is the point?
The TLX also has a better warranty than the Accord...6/70 and 4/50, compared to 5/60 and 3/36. Acura dealers are also likely to provide better service.
Old 09-28-20, 06:54 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I agree. The base model is slow and isn't the one to get. The Type S will be the proper sports sedan. Most people don't buy for performance though. They buy for looks so it will sell to the Acura enthusiast who wants something better looking than the ugly Accord.
Old 09-28-20, 07:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Here is Car and Drivers take on the TLX. They mention the tires too. In their opinion it needs a set of summer tires to improve things.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ign=nl21384601
Old 09-28-20, 07:37 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The TLX also has a better warranty than the Accord...6/70 and 4/50, compared to 5/60 and 3/36. Acura dealers are also likely to provide better service.
That's true, but service at an Acura dealer will cost you a bit more than at the Honda dealer. And honestly, Acura dealers don't come anywhere close to the likes of a Lexus or Mercedes dealership experience.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I agree. The base model is slow and isn't the one to get. The Type S will be the proper sports sedan. Most people don't buy for performance though. They buy for looks so it will sell to the Acura enthusiast who wants something better looking than the ugly Accord.
I've read on a couple other sites that apparently the Type S will be limited to 1000 units a year built exclusively by the PMC team. This is from people who talked to the sales managers at their local Acura dealerships. So expect no discounts, and maybe a few shady dealer markups like the Civc Type R.

Honestly, I get the impression that Acura has no idea what they're doing with this vehicle.
Old 09-28-20, 07:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Here is Car and Drivers take on the TLX. They mention the tires too. In their opinion it needs a set of summer tires to improve things.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ign=nl21384601
Of course...but the regular level TSX buyer is not gonna have two sets of tires. Some of these reviewers are so out of touch...
Old 09-28-20, 07:51 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

That's true, but service at an Acura dealer will cost you a bit more than at the Honda dealer. And honestly, Acura dealers don't come anywhere close to the likes of a Lexus or Mercedes dealership experience.

I've read on a couple other sites that apparently the Type S will be limited to 1000 units a year built exclusively by the PMC team. This is from people who talked to the sales managers at their local Acura dealerships. So expect no discounts, and maybe a few shady dealer markups like the Civc Type R.

Honestly, I get the impression that Acura has no idea what they're doing with this vehicle.
I don't get it. The Type S on paper is nothing special and brings up the rear of the segment in terms of horsepower for the enthusiast version. So in summary, its a car the size and weight of a 5 series with the interior space of a 3 series with mediocre horsepower that costs about $60k and only sells about a thousand units a year? Seriously?
Old 09-28-20, 08:00 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't get it. The Type S on paper is nothing special and brings up the rear of the segment in terms of horsepower for the enthusiast version. So in summary, its a car the size and weight of a 5 series with the interior space of a 3 series with mediocre horsepower that costs about $60k and only sells about a thousand units a year? Seriously?
It adds more credence to the theory someone mentioned a while back about how the Type S is designed almost exclusively for niche Honda/Acura enthusiasts rather than a legitimate competitor in its segment.
Old 09-28-20, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Of course...but the regular level TSX buyer is not gonna have two sets of tires. Some of these reviewers are so out of touch...
Agreed. I don't buy the Always-Gotta-Have-More argument. No matter how much tire, suspension, brakes, or power you give a vehicle, they are never satisfied. I find much of it just silly to listen to.

And, yes, I also agree on not necessarily needing two sets of tires. To some extent at least, that's where the SH-AWD will come in...increasing winter traction with whatever kind of rubber you have on the vehicle, although, yes, all else equal, 2WD or AWD, winter tires will give you better traction than summer tires.
Old 09-28-20, 08:16 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a premium sport sedan. Any responsible reviewer would test the "sport" aspect of a sport sedan and report on it. I'd rather be aware of the potential noise issue and have that info going into my own test drive than be surprised by it after the fact.
Old 09-28-20, 08:25 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

The problem with the 255-width tires isn't that they aren't "sporty enough", it's that they fail to accomplish basic tasks that a 235-width tire could perform at the same speed. They provide zero benefits except for appearance. 255-width tires on a sub-300 HP vehicle is ridiculous. Acura should have just made them 245-width at most, which would not only make them more competent, but also more affordable.

Most companies that use a 255-width tire tend to only use them in the back for a staggered setup, but since the TLX is FWD-biased, they can't do that.
Old 09-28-20, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
It's a premium sport sedan. Any responsible reviewer would test the "sport" aspect of a sport sedan and report on it. I'd rather be aware of the potential noise issue and have that info going into my own test drive than be surprised by it after the fact.
I agree on that part of it.....I sample and review vehicles myself, though usually not at their performance-limits. And yes, a reviewer should give their opinions. But my point is that some are never satisfied. And, over and above that, the term "sport" is often thrown around or used today for frivolous purposes. Some "Sport" packages, for example, are nothing but cosmetic stuff....not more power or a more responsive chassis. Or, they just stiffen up the ride without really providing more engine thrust.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX