Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Acura TLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-20, 11:30 PM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Meh. I came from two Acuras I was not thrilled with. Plus Honda Acura has actually been having a decent amount a reliability issues in the past handful of years. Transmission issues still with the 9AT and 8DCT, TLX/RDX electrical issues, the 1.5T oil burning issues, ect. One of my previous Acuras had a lot of AC issues that started just as the warranty expired, and they are currently bellow Audi in JD powers initial quality rating. I'm also not going to get another FWD based car. As good as their SH-AWD system is and comments above saying it 'can feel RWD like' or what ever...Can't say I've had the same experience, whatever I did it felt very FWD bias and the little screen in the gauge cluster always showed most of the power going to the front.
Old 05-29-20, 05:27 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
Meh. I came from two Acuras I was not thrilled with. Plus Honda Acura has actually been having a decent amount a reliability issues in the past handful of years. Transmission issues still with the 9AT and 8DCT, TLX/RDX electrical issues, the 1.5T oil burning issues, ect. One of my previous Acuras had a lot of AC issues that started just as the warranty expired, and they are currently bellow Audi in JD powers initial quality rating. I'm also not going to get another FWD based car. As good as their SH-AWD system is and comments above saying it 'can feel RWD like' or what ever...Can't say I've had the same experience, whatever I did it felt very FWD bias and the little screen in the gauge cluster always showed most of the power going to the front.
^ Totally agree!

This car looks nice and I'm sure the Type S will be a fast fun car- V6TT will have big potential.
Old 05-29-20, 08:33 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Even though I'm not interested in another gasoline sedan for my next car, I'm pretty excited for what they've done with the new TLX. Everyone likes to bash Honda/Acura for their specs before the car is even out (see FK8 Civic Type R & NSX), but once the car comes out, it's a different story. Honda knows how to do chassis/handling/driving dynamics. With all the changes they made to the TLX, it sounds like they're really leveling the car up. With HP on the Type S supposed to be AT LEAST 350HP, it sounds like a great contender for the segment.

Last edited by CLUM; 05-29-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-29-20, 07:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by CLUM
Even though I'm not interested in another gasoline sedan for my next car, I'm pretty excited for what they've done with the new TLX. Everyone likes to bash Honda/Acura for their specs before the car is even out (see FK8 Civic Type R & NSX), but once the car comes out, it's a different story. Honda knows how to do chassis/handling/driving dynamics. With all the changes they made to the TLX, it sounds like they're really leveling the car up. With HP on the Type S supposed to be AT LEAST 350HP, it sounds like a great contender for the segment.
Sounds like you need a new a Taycan Turbo S I hope they put in 400hp in that thing. Puts everyone on notice that the horsepower wars are back on
Old 05-30-20, 04:37 PM
Ismelllike
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
The IS 500, if it does happen, better be priced EXTREMELY well or it’s not going to do much for the sales of the IS. It’s not going to be worth it if it costs $55k+ IMHO.
It would be a Christmas miracle if it were in the 50s. My guess would be more in the mid 60s base.
​​
Old 05-30-20, 05:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Ismelllike
It would be a Christmas miracle if it were in the 50s. My guess would be more in the mid 60s base.
​​
Mid $60s would be a stretch. Even the RCF is slow these days with that V8 compared to the competition that starts at $56k (M340), TM3P). For the engine alone, it should only be a $5k upgrade. Anything more is DOA.
Old 05-30-20, 06:18 PM
Ismelllike
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Well I hope you're right. Would be awesome to get that V8 in the 50s. Could be why the rumors are for an is500, leave out the F bits to get it in the 50s. Otherwise the rc had a 23k upcharge from rc300 to rcf.
Old 05-30-20, 07:54 PM
mvblum
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Hmm looks pretty good. I have yet to own a FWD car and I’m honestly afraid to. I think the only car I’d buy that is FWD today is the Civic Type R. I’m also against buying AWD as I have 0 need for it. Will be interesting to see the reviews on the higher spec engine configuration once it’s out.
TLX Type-S is supposed to be AWD only for 2021.
Old 05-31-20, 05:33 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There will be no IS500 or V8 inside IS. Engines will most likely be carryover or perhaps there is a small chance of 2.4T replacing both 3.5 and 2.0T. We'll see.
Old 06-02-20, 04:02 AM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mvblum
TLX Type-S is supposed to be AWD only for 2021.
For the other packages besides the Type-S, AWD is still going to be a option. And either way, it's FWD bias AWD...
Old 06-02-20, 10:31 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
For the other packages besides the Type-S, AWD is still going to be a option. And either way, it's FWD bias AWD...
I think the power is RWD biased, as in 70% of power goes there. But layout wise, its still a transverse engine with the weight out in front of the front tires.
Old 06-02-20, 11:05 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I think the power is RWD biased, as in 70% of power goes there. But layout wise, its still a transverse engine with the weight out in front of the front tires.
Up to 70% can be shifted rearward, but it doesn't start out with that split. That said, I don't think 90% or more of consumers really care about that. Other than car mags, and armchair magazine spec sheet racers.
Old 06-02-20, 11:24 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
That would be a first for Acura, and would surprise me greatly. The current systems in the MDX, RDX, and outgoing TLX are by default 90% front. They can divert up to 45% of available torque to the rear, and because it can send all of that rear-bound torque to one wheel, they claim (using several weasel words) that up to 70% of effective torque can be sent to the outside rear wheel when accelerating hard up a hill while cornering. This is due to the effect of weight transfer. But in a mechanical sense it's really just 45% at max, and only 10% in normal driving. Nothing close to a RWD bias.
Old 06-02-20, 11:50 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

From Acura:

Acura's 4th-generation SH-AWD® system has 40 percent more rear torque capacity and 30 percent quicker front-to-rear torque transfer than the 3rd-generation system in the outgoing TLX. The Acura SH-AWD® system in the new TLX transfers up to 70 percent of engine torque to the rear axle during normal driving conditions, while continuously apportioning up to 100 percent of that rear-axle torque between either the left and right rear wheels. Additionally, the rear axle is continuously overdriven by 2.9 percent, which amplifies the yaw moment effect of left-to-right torque transfer, elevating performance through sharper and more accurate turn-in, and improved traceability when cornering.
So up to 70% can be shifted rearward, likely only under full throttle type input based on past experience with SH-AWD.
Old 06-03-20, 12:21 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
From Acura:

So up to 70% can be shifted rearward, likely only under full throttle type input based on past experience with SH-AWD.
Yeah, my bad, I got lost in all the marketing mumbo jumbo.

On a separate wavelength, one has to wonder why they do all this stuff to try to mask the inherent problems in a FWD platform. As in, they make the hood longer, and they add in this complicated AWD system. Why not just create a dedicated RWD platform and be done with it. Seems a lot more straightforward to me, and probably would allow them to create larger vehicles with more profit margins. But what do I know about business, I'm just an engineer lol.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX