Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Acura TLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 09:08 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
My speculation was wrong? LOL, I predicted the car would be made in limited quanities, that's come to fruition. I predicted fully loaded it would be in the $60K range, and while that didn't come to fruition, it's also missing plenty of features from the Advanced package to keep costs down. Even before the Type S was announced, I predicted the 4 cylinder could be optioned up to $50K- lo and behold that turned out to be true. So yeah, I'm pretty confident in my judgement. And if you think you can buy a Type S for MSRP anytime soon, good luck convincing the dealers that their limited production model should be discounted at a time when every manufacturer is having low inventory issues.

And please, go check out any other site to see just how unimpressed the public reaction is to the Type S. If you think my criticisms are scathing, you haven't seen anything from the likes of what actual Acura owners are saying on the Acurazine forums. This might be a strange concept to you, but I can judge each vehicle objectively without having my judgement clouded by the brand, which is why I praise the new MDX yet shake my head at the TLX.

You bring up the Genesis G80- it sells like crap. It was the Hyundai Genesis that sold well, and did so because it was offered at over 700 Hyundai dealerships. Why don't you go check how its sales fared from 2018 onward when it spun off of into the Genesis brand and had its dealership network eviscerated. Even the Genesis GV80, a crossover and the best-selling vehicle in the entire Genesis lineup currently, doesn't match the sales numbers of the current TLX- a sedan. Acura has zero excuse not to invest in a new RWD platform when it has substantially higher volume than Genesis to even out the costs, and more dealerships. Well, I suppose they're aware that their target customers are brand loyal and don't care if they make an uncompetitive product like the TLX.

No matter how much anecdotal evidence you come up with, a Lexus GS is larger than the TLX on the inside- 99 cubic feet. And no matter how much anecdotal evidence you come up with for reliability, the likes of Consumer Reports and JD Power have another story entirely. A turbo V6 made in limited production models from a brand that has never made a turbo V6 doesn't guarantee at all that it will be reliable.

From what you tell, me you you and your family obviously have a personal attachment to Honda and Acura. No matter how much you want to deny it, it's clear that you have a soft spot for them. Maybe you should join Acurazine and try to tell the dozens of Acura owners how wrong they are for calling out the car for what it is.
You have been negative since before any details were released. You predicted a 70K price way over then what it would cost, then predicted priced in the 60's that was still way too high, then when when it turned out to be in the lower price range everyone else more or less predicted you are now saying but if you add a few more options from the Advance then it will be over 60K(no it won't) or the markups will put it at those prices(markups have nothing to do with factory pricing). The markups won't last if people don't pay them, the "limited" run for 2021 is not even totally out of line with what other manufacture produce these sportier variants, after 2021 you will very likely be able to get it under MSRP so for 5 months or so it may be markup up or you can't get it under MSRP, we'll see. Acura can also add options/features that people want, they will add more power too.

The first gen Genesis G80 sold well too under the Genesis name, it was often the 3rd best seller in its class, it often outsold the Audi A6, Lexus GS, Infinti M, etc. Then after a year or two when they had the naming/dealership fiasco and it was hard to get one, sales plummeted. Again, I wish Acura built a RWD platform, they would be so much better off today if they did but for some reason, Honda would not give them the money to do it and also cancelled a RWD V8 Legend in 2009 along with all other Tier 1 plans/cars. Making the TLX RWD would have cost a bunch of money and would not have given them much more sales unless they spread that platform out to other models which they also don't want to do for some reason. Audi really has no excuse to soldier on with a FWD platform either considering how much they sell in Europe and other markets but they do, they make it work even though a RWD platform would improve the balance of their cars. The TLX Type S is not uncompetitive, it is getting mostly good reviews and on par with competitors, nobody else is really getting BMW 340 0-60 numbers.

It is not anecdotal that the main reason the TLX numbers in Consumer Reports is low is because of the hated two screen setup/track pad setup and complaints about the 9 speed auto shifts, there is no issue with the cars/parts breaking, leaving owners stranded, needing expensive repairs/maintenance or anything to worry about owning out of warranty. Honda had a issue with the 1.6t engines with head gaskets but is covering those repairs.

So what I had Honda's/Acura's in my family, I don't have soft spots that causes me to forgive bad things for any brand, I call it like I see/experience it. I have owned 2 Lexus vehicles for the last 15+ years but I still criticize when they do things I don't like, same with Honda, I criticize all the time how they don't have any coupes for Acura, no RWD flagships, no V8, they killed their Tier 1 lineup, Smart Luxury, they have dropped the V6 in the Accord and now TLX for most models. They still do a lot of things right or that I like and the public seems to like. I mostly like the TLX Type S, I would never consider the TLX 4 cyl and told my dad it was not worth really looking into, the Type S is not perfect, I really wished it looked more like that beautiful concept, wish it had more power, little more rear seat room but then again I wish those same things for my GS350 too. The Type S is still a pretty nice package that doesn't break the bank from what I have been seeing/reading and is on my list in the future.
Old 07-02-21, 10:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Doug Demuro reviewed the TLX Type S, he seemed to mostly like it, though wish it was more involving/had more steering feedback.

Old 07-03-21, 02:03 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,354 Likes on 699 Posts

Interested, he says 0;60 in 4.5 seconds. That is pretty stout for that price range.
Old 07-04-21, 01:24 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

One of my good friends just put a deposit down on a Type-S. Last week my connection at Acura informed me they got their demo Type-S in stock so my friend and I went down to test drive it. It drives nice, and the SH-AWD is superb. He’s waiting on the Type-S performance wheel and tires package which won’t be built until 4th quarter. He’s a Honda guy, has a 08’ Si sedan, so he’ll likely hook up his Hondata and tune the Type-S closer to 400hp. Platinum white pearl with black interior and red stitch. Pictures to follow
Old 07-04-21, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Hoovey good post - sounds like your friend is deep int Honda/Acura. Did he or she consider anything else?
Old 07-04-21, 10:08 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Interested, he says 0;60 in 4.5 seconds. That is pretty stout for that price range.
Nobody has come close to that speed, most people get around 5 seconds. This is a 4300 pound vehicle.
Old 07-05-21, 01:01 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nobody has come close to that speed, most people get around 5 seconds. This is a 4300 pound vehicle.
Car will be released properly later this year so by that time they can tweak the acceleration. Even when NSX was released no one knew how quick it was because Honda never released the figures because launch control was not finalized. I think it was next model year when Honda or Acura finally published sub 3 second figure.
Old 07-05-21, 03:02 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vladi
Car will be released properly later this year so by that time they can tweak the acceleration. Even when NSX was released no one knew how quick it was because Honda never released the figures because launch control was not finalized. I think it was next model year when Honda or Acura finally published sub 3 second figure.
Except Acura themselves have stated that the Type S's 0-60 is "around 5 seconds."

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...pe-s-press-kit

0-60 in 4.5 seconds is as fast as an m340i and nothing short of wishful thinking. It'd be lucky to be as fast as a 540i given the size and weight, not to mention that Acura's TTV6 and 10-speed so far don't come close to the B58 and ZF 8-speed.
Old 07-05-21, 06:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

haha, my lc is 4300lbs and does around 4.4 0-60.
Old 07-05-21, 06:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The gorgeous LS500 does 4.5 and weighs like 5000lbs.
Old 07-05-21, 06:57 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The TLX wishes it could be cross-shopped with an LC500 lol.

It's funny to me that the same V8 isn't any faster in the GS-F despite being a smaller and lighter car.
Old 07-05-21, 07:31 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Except Acura themselves have stated that the Type S's 0-60 is "around 5 seconds."

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...pe-s-press-kit

0-60 in 4.5 seconds is as fast as an m340i and nothing short of wishful thinking. It'd be lucky to be as fast as a 540i given the size and weight, not to mention that Acura's TTV6 and 10-speed so far don't come close to the B58 and ZF 8-speed.
M340s have done 0-60 in 3.8s in magazines which is pretty quick.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

4.5s is more like an Audi S4 or G70 and both of those cars have around 350hp. In Doug's review, it seems the powerband is linear and not quite as peaky to make it seem more like a NA engine so maybe that was the goal for Honda vs. outright power. The price is the key factor here as its cheaper than an M340 but if there is a consistent markup on these things, then the M340 will be a better deal. In the end, this will please the Honda loyalists and looks to be a nice car overall. I haven't seen many of the new TLXs on the streets though. Maybe the new one didn't resonate that well with buyers?
Old 07-05-21, 07:55 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
M340s have done 0-60 in 3.8s in magazines which is pretty quick.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

4.5s is more like an Audi S4 or G70 and both of those cars have around 350hp. In Doug's review, it seems the powerband is linear and not quite as peaky to make it seem more like a NA engine so maybe that was the goal for Honda vs. outright power.
4.5 seconds is an m340i without X-Drive, with X-Drive it reduces it by half a second.

Doug's review was strange. Most other reviews praised the handling of the Type S but dinged the acceleration, but Doug did the opposite.
Old 07-05-21, 08:02 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

4.5 seconds is an m340i without X-Drive, with X-Drive it reduces it by half a second.

Doug's review was strange. Most other reviews praised the handling of the Type S but dinged the acceleration, but Doug did the opposite.
The link I posted was 3.8s for the RWD version. The X-Drive versions are only a couple tenths faster to 60 and the new launch control in the M340 is very good so not surprising that even the RWD can hit sub 4s. If you saw his Doug scores, he says that he felt the Kia Stinger was a better handling car and the TLX scores overall aren't very high in his rankings (probably bottom-mid tier). Maybe he likes the RWD feel better than the SH-AWD on the TLX? I feel that the car has only had a mild reception overall. Not much excitement from reviewers.

If the IS500 comes in at the high $50k price point, its going to drive the price of this car down. If the IS500 is in the high $60k price point, this car seems like a pretty good deal.
Old 07-05-21, 08:25 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The link I posted was 3.8s for the RWD version. The X-Drive versions are only a couple tenths faster to 60 and the new launch control in the M340 is very good so not surprising that even the RWD can hit sub 4s. If you saw his Doug scores, he says that he felt the Kia Stinger was a better handling car and the TLX scores overall aren't very high in his rankings (probably bottom-mid tier). Maybe he likes the RWD feel better than the SH-AWD on the TLX? I feel that the car has only had a mild reception overall. Not much excitement from reviewers.

If the IS500 comes in at the high $50k price point, its going to drive the price of this car down. If the IS500 is in the high $60k price point, this car seems like a pretty good deal.
4.4 seconds is what it says on BMW's own website. 4.1 with xDrive. I'm not sure if these times are with launch control.

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3-se...-your-own.html

Regardless of the car itself and whatever qualities it may have, Acura really screwed the pooch with how long it took for them to bring the Type S to the market, especially with the dealer markups as a result of the low production run, not helped by the current chip shortage. People just forgot that the TLX even existed.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX