Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Acura TLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 08:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's been 20 years since the Type R sub-brand was replaced by Type S in the Acura lineup, I don't expect they'll ever go back on that.
The Type R was never replaced with the Type S, they are different, Honda just doesn't do many Type R's. Type S has always been a more mild tune from hp to handling, something that can be driven every day like the standard version while giving extra performance that does not punish the driver. Type R is their top performance, is much more hardcore with much more done to make handling and braking better, made more for the track, either higher hp and/or higher level of handling then Type S(or Si when it comes to Honda's), and not concerned as much about still being a comfortable every day driver. They just didn't do many hardcore Type R versions for Acura or even Honda's for that matter, mainly the Integra and NSX I believe and the US didn't get the NSX Type R. A Type S is more like a 340i or current S4 where a Type R is be more like M3 or RS4.

A Type R version of a TLX would likely be 400hp or more, driver would have much more control, suspension tuned more for the track, larger brakes, lighter, lower, bodykit, etc. It would be something mainly for enthusiasts, have a pretty punishing ride, and would not be something for your typical TLX buyer and might not even be what a Type S buyer would want every day.
Old 07-08-21, 12:16 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

I agree with your description of what the two "Types" represent, but for the Acura brand, Type R was absolutely and directly replaced with Type S, because they decided as an organization that "hardcore" was not their market. Witness that while the first generation of the Honda Integra Type R was brought here under the Acura badge, the second generation was not, and we instead got the RSX Type S, which was a FAR less aggressively tuned version of the same base car. It existed, but they didn't want it in the Acura lineup.

Then the European version of the Accord was sold in Japan as the Accord Euro-R for two generations, while that same base vehicle was sold here without even a Type S variant, let alone a Type R. Again, it existed in that exact form, but they didn't want it here. Then in 2015 the FK8 Civic type R came out, but again got nothing resembling an Acura equivalent--its cousin the ILX didn't even get a Type S.

So after two decades of Honda intentionally choosing to NOT bring a Type R vehicle to the Acura lineup, even in multiple cases when they sold that exact vehicle as a Type R in other markets, there's essentially zero chance that they're now going to build a Type R of a bespoke Acura model that has no Honda equivalent. I would love to be wrong. But I don't think I am.
Old 07-08-21, 03:46 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I agree with your description of what the two "Types" represent, but for the Acura brand, Type R was absolutely and directly replaced with Type S, because they decided as an organization that "hardcore" was not their market. Witness that while the first generation of the Honda Integra Type R was brought here under the Acura badge, the second generation was not, and we instead got the RSX Type S, which was a FAR less aggressively tuned version of the same base car. It existed, but they didn't want it in the Acura lineup.

Then the European version of the Accord was sold in Japan as the Accord Euro-R for two generations, while that same base vehicle was sold here without even a Type S variant, let alone a Type R. Again, it existed in that exact form, but they didn't want it here. Then in 2015 the FK8 Civic type R came out, but again got nothing resembling an Acura equivalent--its cousin the ILX didn't even get a Type S.

So after two decades of Honda intentionally choosing to NOT bring a Type R vehicle to the Acura lineup, even in multiple cases when they sold that exact vehicle as a Type R in other markets, there's essentially zero chance that they're now going to build a Type R of a bespoke Acura model that has no Honda equivalent. I would love to be wrong. But I don't think I am.

This, plus mainstream SUVs are their bread and butter. My guess is the Type S version of the MDX will sell 10X of the Type S of the TLX. If you think of it that way, its sort of a miracle that a Type S TLX even exists.
Old 07-10-21, 07:22 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

The Type S just can't catch a break. If it ties or even gets beaten in the upcoming drag race against the Accord 2.0T, that will be beyond humiliating.

Old 07-10-21, 07:34 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The Type S just can't catch a break. If it ties or even gets beaten in the upcoming drag race against the Accord 2.0T, that will be beyond humiliating.

The hp is competitive but not the weight. At least it looks better than the G70.
Old 07-10-21, 07:36 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The hp is competitive but not the weight. At least it looks better than the G70.
G70 has proper RWD proportions. TLX still has FWD proportions and overhangs despite some half-baked attempt to make it appear RWD with the overstretched hood, which is the whole reason it weighs hundreds of pounds more than it should.
Old 07-10-21, 07:38 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,354 Likes on 699 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyDSepwYgfc
Now that TLX looks more like a 5 second 0-60 car. No way it's doing a 4.4 second 0-60 with the Genesis walking away like that.
Old 07-10-21, 07:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

G70 has proper RWD proportions. TLX still has FWD proportions and overhangs despite some half-baked attempt to make it appear RWD with the overstretched hood, which is the whole reason it weighs hundreds of pounds more than it should.
yes, a friend just got one... nice car, seemed bigger in person than i'd gathered from pics, but the front end proportions don't work for me.

Observation: interesting how the front door handles are way lower than the rear doors because they're positioned on the crease.
Old 07-10-21, 12:57 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 95bat
Now that TLX looks more like a 5 second 0-60 car. No way it's doing a 4.4 second 0-60 with the Genesis walking away like that.
This guy performed three 0-60 runs with a Dragy, and each run was consistently at 5.3 seconds. That isn't just slow by compact sedan standards, that's slower than most turbo 6-cylinder midsized sedans. Might even be slower than the Genesis G80, a 4500 pound luxury barge with the wheelbase of a SWB S-Class.

Old 07-10-21, 02:00 PM
95bat
Racer

This guy performed three 0-60 runs with a Dragy, and each run was consistently at 5.3 seconds. That isn't just slow by compact sedan standards, that's slower than most turbo 6-cylinder midsized sedans. Might even be slower than the Genesis G80, a 4500 pound luxury barge with the wheelbase of a SWB S-Class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7MuW4qTXHU
Wow, that is super disappointing. Interesting how two different Youtube reviewers were nearly a full second off the 0-60 time... not sure where they got their information from, but they were WAAAAY off.

Looks like it's the IS 500 or CT4-V Blackwing for me.
Old 07-10-21, 02:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Wow, that is super disappointing. Interesting how two different Youtube reviewers were nearly a full second off the 0-60 time... not sure where they got their information from, but they were WAAAAY off.

Looks like it's the IS 500 or CT4-V Blackwing for me.
The IS500 will be a different price category and will be significantly more interesting. Definitely go that way if you can afford it.
Old 07-10-21, 04:09 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
The IS500 will be a different price category and will be significantly more interesting. Definitely go that way if you can afford it.
I've never been in an IS, I don't know if I will fit comfortably. I need to make the ~45 minute drive and find out eventually. I know I fit in the CT4 comfortably.
Old 07-11-21, 12:45 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
Actually, Acura was late to the 3.0T party. The hp might have been competitive back in 2017 when the S4 with its 354 hp 3.0T engine came out but the A4 is due for a full model change within the next couple of years.
Old 07-11-21, 04:05 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Actually, Acura was late to the 3.0T party. The hp might have been competitive back in 2017 when the S4 with its 354 hp 3.0T engine came out but the A4 is due for a full model change within the next couple of years.
I have a hintch next S4 will be a four cyl hybrid. If not the best they can do is to cram that 2.9 twin turbo in it which I doubt. Both VAG 3.0T/2.9TT engines are being put into barnd new Porsche and Audi models and if previous six family is any indication they are on mid life cycle currently and still have another half a decade to go. Mercedes is the same position with its single turbo inline six as well. "Pedestrian" version of that MB egnine powers AMG GT43 and it has 10hp & 10lb-ft more than Type S.

When it comes to acceleration it's the transmission that makes all the difference with similar output engines. Just look at Inifiniti, they have that 3.0TT engine paired with ancient tranny and its going nowhere. Probably the similar thing is happening inside Type S.

I'm really disapointed they didn't go with RLX SH setup on Type-S with 2.0T instead of 3.5 V6. RLX SH was a blast to drive for a huge FWD boat, something next gen Lexus ES should look into.
Old 07-11-21, 01:58 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladi
I have a hintch next S4 will be a four cyl hybrid. If not the best they can do is to cram that 2.9 twin turbo in it which I doubt. Both VAG 3.0T/2.9TT engines are being put into barnd new Porsche and Audi models and if previous six family is any indication they are on mid life cycle currently and still have another half a decade to go. Mercedes is the same position with its single turbo inline six as well. "Pedestrian" version of that MB egnine powers AMG GT43 and it has 10hp & 10lb-ft more than Type S.

When it comes to acceleration it's the transmission that makes all the difference with similar output engines. Just look at Inifiniti, they have that 3.0TT engine paired with ancient tranny and its going nowhere. Probably the similar thing is happening inside Type S.

I'm really disapointed they didn't go with RLX SH setup on Type-S with 2.0T instead of 3.5 V6. RLX SH was a blast to drive for a huge FWD boat, something next gen Lexus ES should look into.
Not only is its ancient 7 speed auto gearbox holding the true potential of the Q50 back but also the crappy OEM Dunlops that come stock from the factory. There have been videos where people have swapped out the Dunlops for Michelins and the difference was night and day. Despite all of this the Q50 Red Sport is a low 4 seconds car going 0-60 mph so it still performs well with its handicaps.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX