Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Acura TLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-21, 07:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 2IS was noticeably faster than the 3IS due to weight and gearing. R&T tested a RWD IS350 at 4.9s to 60 and 13.5s in the quarter mile. Same as the current TLX Type S. I just mentioned the Lexus because it had the same Performance times.
I figured. The TLX's biggest enemy when it comes to performance is weight... 4200 pounds is essentially the same as an Audi SQ5, for example, which does 0-60 in about the same time with similar horsepower.
Old 07-13-21, 07:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 2IS was noticeably faster than the 3IS due to weight and gearing. R&T tested a RWD IS350 at 4.9s to 60 and 13.5s in the quarter mile. Same as the current TLX Type S. I just mentioned the Lexus because it had the same Performance times.
The 2nd Gen IS350 was also RWD, not nearly as well equipped as a TLX-S or nearly as safe/rigid. The IS350 also was smaller, weighed around 3500lbs and did not do a 0-60 in under 5 sec in every test.
Old 07-13-21, 08:03 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The 2nd Gen IS350 was also RWD, not nearly as well equipped as a TLX-S or nearly as safe/rigid. The IS350 also was smaller, weighed around 3500lbs and did not do a 0-60 in under 5 sec in every test.
Sure...but it was also from 2006 and NA. You have to admit, the new Type S has pretty disappointing performance figures. It is what it is.
Old 07-13-21, 08:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sure...but it was also from 2006 and NA. You have to admit, the new Type S has pretty disappointing performance figures. It is what it is.
Those couple of 0-60's in under 5 sec for the 2nd Gen IS350's were extremely rare and impressive at the time and even today, it was not close to the norm so it a little unfair to be that disappointed and dismiss it as only about as fast as something that was a outlier and very unique in 2006 especially considering how they are equipped, rigidity, safety, etc. Kind of like how the GTR was doing a 3.2 sec 0-60 when it first came out a long time ago and several more expensive sports cars/coupes today aren't that quick.

I was hoping for more power/a little better acceleration but other then that I like it and think it is a good package and one of the best looking in segment inside and out. It would be on my list of future cars new/used, no way am I owning a German car out of warranty unless it is much more special like a S class, CLS, 911, etc.

There are several newer cars that don't accelerate much better or are even slower then older gen cars, weight it pretty much the big killer when it comes to acceleration and because companies are under so much pressure to get better fuel economy they can't up the hp too much to compensate for the added weight. 3rd Gen IS is slower then 2nd Gen, 4th Gen GS350 is slower then 3rd Gen, some newer 4 cylinders that replaced 6 cylinders in the Germans are slower and all those 4 cylinders are less refined.
Old 07-13-21, 09:03 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Those couple of 0-60's in under 5 sec for the 2nd Gen IS350's were extremely rare and impressive at the time and even today, it was not close to the norm so it a little unfair to be that disappointed and dismiss it as only about as fast as something that was a outlier and very unique in 2006 especially considering how they are equipped, rigidity, safety, etc. Kind of like how the GTR was doing a 3.2 sec 0-60 when it first came out a long time ago and several more expensive sports cars/coupes today aren't that quick.

I was hoping for more power/a little better acceleration but other then that I like it and think it is a good package and one of the best looking in segment inside and out. It would be on my list of future cars new/used, no way am I owning a German car out of warranty unless it is much more special like a S class, CLS, 911, etc.

There are several newer cars that don't accelerate much better or are even slower then older gen cars, weight it pretty much the big killer when it comes to acceleration and because companies are under so much pressure to get better fuel economy they can't up the hp too much to compensate for the added weight. 3rd Gen IS is slower then 2nd Gen, 4th Gen GS350 is slower then 3rd Gen, some newer 4 cylinders that replaced 6 cylinders in the Germans are slower and all those 4 cylinders are less refined.
I don't understand why Acura just didn't bump up the power a bit considering its not that hard to do on an FI car. The overall package is decent especially for the price. Since most of this segment tends to lease, I don't see it selling in large numbers. Overall, its a good looking car though and if performance is secondary, then it could be a good value for certain types of buyers.
Old 07-13-21, 09:39 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't understand why Acura just didn't bump up the power a bit considering its not that hard to do on an FI car. The overall package is decent especially for the price. Since most of this segment tends to lease, I don't see it selling in large numbers. Overall, its a good looking car though and if performance is secondary, then it could be a good value for certain types of buyers.
I guess that’s what the tuners are for 😀. Wouldn’t shock me if JB4 was already in the works. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but cheap HP is out there if one’s into it.
Old 07-13-21, 09:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Good post. The the ultimate success or failure of this car won't be determined by a few tenths of seconds here and there. My guess is that it will sell OK but Acura's SUV's will still continue to dominate sales for the division.
Old 07-13-21, 11:03 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Honda/Acura are certainly Japanese car brands, their cars are considered Japanese cars no matter where they are made or sold, BMW, Toyota, Nissan, etc all have many cars designed and manufactured for and in other markets.

Pretty much every review/reviewer says the opposite of what you wrote. Have you even driven one?
Uh, the TLX being designed and manufactured in America and being sold only in America under an American-only brand are all fact whether you like it or not- you'll have to refer to me what sort of motoring journalists you read that come up with their own fantasy land of this vehicle being some kind of slick JDM treasure. Maybe the sea of Type S badging convinced you?
Old 07-13-21, 11:09 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wallie3145
Not surprising as the G80 tested has a better power to weight ratio than the Type S.
Horsepower specs on paper mean nothing because they're manufacturer-derived and the way each manufacturer measures power is different. Just ask how the BMW with their "335" HP 6-cylinders are able to outrun pretty much the entire gamut even in land yachts like the 8 Gran Coupe.

The matter of fact is that the Type S, which was marketed by Acura to be some kind of track machine, is slower than a massive land yacht like the G80 that weighs more with no pretensions of sportiness, nevermind the compact vehicles it claims to compete with. It's not a good look.
Old 07-13-21, 12:13 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,354 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Horsepower specs on paper mean nothing because they're manufacturer-derived and the way each manufacturer measures power is different. Just ask how the BMW with their "335" HP 6-cylinders are able to outrun pretty much the entire gamut even in land yachts like the 8 Gran Coupe.

The matter of fact is that the Type S, which was marketed by Acura to be some kind of track machine, is slower than a massive land yacht like the G80 that weighs more with no pretensions of sportiness, nevermind the compact vehicles it claims to compete with. It's not a good look.
Slower than the LS 500 land yacht too Definitely hard to buy a sport sedan and get smoked by your mom driving her LS lol
Old 07-13-21, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
This is something I have to remind friends all the time. The TLX, the cars in the stable here, or any of these premium sedans nowadays can be fun to drive and very capable, but, I will say the somewhat old Boxster S I drove was still far more exciting and felt more agile than any of them by a mile. Even something like a Camaro will be far more nimble even with the V-8 up front. These are really one-car packages, the cars for people who demand equal measures usability, performance, and comfort. They can't be amazing in one area without compromising either price or one of those other areas.

Edit: ... which is partly why I am perfectly okay with my IS looking a lot faster than it actually is.
Well said. Acura TLX S is definitely sporty.

Honda/Acura are certainly Japanese car brands, their cars are considered Japanese cars no matter where they are made or sold, BMW, Toyota, Nissan, etc all have many cars designed and manufactured for and in other markets.

Pretty much every review/reviewer says the opposite of what you wrote. Have you even driven one?
It is unbelievable to not refer Acura as a Japanese brand.
Old 07-13-21, 02:32 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 95bat
Slower than the LS 500 land yacht too Definitely hard to buy a sport sedan and get smoked by your mom driving her LS lol
Lexus should do a track event with the LS500 F-Sport like Acura did with the TLX Type S, and have a Type S there as the benchmark to demonstrate just how much more "sporty" the LS is.
Old 07-14-21, 07:41 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honda has always been pretty conservative with power, this is the first turbo of this series of engine and probably wanted to make sure the engine and transmission/Shawd were long term reliable, they also want to leave room for power updates so you don't get everything power wise at first and then it does not have much room to grow. I am sure fuel economy, emissions, noise had something to do with it too.
Old 07-14-21, 07:50 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,354 Likes on 699 Posts

Lexus should do a track event with the LS500 F-Sport like Acura did with the TLX Type S, and have a Type S there as the benchmark to demonstrate just how much more "sporty" the LS is.
That would be hilarious if the LS F Sport actually kept up with it around a track!

Honda has always been pretty conservative with power, this is the first turbo of this series of engine and probably wanted to make sure the engine and transmission/Shawd were long term reliable, they also want to leave room for power updates so you don't get everything power wise at first and then it does not have much room to grow. I am sure fuel economy, emissions, noise had something to do with it too.
That's what I'm hoping... they said it's a fully forged motor, it should be ready for more boost. My unfounded logic is that the NSX has a 500hp 3.5L - 142.86 hp/liter - so the TLX should have ~425hp
Old 07-14-21, 07:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Uh, the TLX being designed and manufactured in America and being sold only in America under an American-only brand are all fact whether you like it or not- you'll have to refer to me what sort of motoring journalists you read that come up with their own fantasy land of this vehicle being some kind of slick JDM treasure. Maybe the sea of Type S badging convinced you?
The TLX being designed/built and sold in the US does not suddenly make it a Ford/Chevy/Dodge American car. The TLX and its components still has input, influence from Honda of Japan, same with the NSX. Honda models along with Toyota, Mazda, Nissan models for decades have been built in the US for the US market, it does not make them full American cars though, they are still considered Japanese cars from Japanese companies.

You are again exaggerating in your wording to attack the Type S like you have done since the beginning with your totally wrong 70K predicted price, being a "JDM treasure" was never said, you tried to say the TLX is not particularly sporty which is wrong and just about every reviewer has said the opposite of what you said about not being "particularly sporty" from the way it drives, handles, noises it makes, accelerates, looks, etc.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX