Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Acura TLX

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-22, 11:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackruner
How are these numbers figured out? The only reason I ask is because I don't know of any car sitting on the lot for over a month let alone 6. Pretty much every car near me is sold before it hits lots.
"slowest selling cars" (or fastest) is one of the most bogus click bait stats out there because it's obviously based on supply and demand. so if one model's dealers typically sells 1 per month and they get 1 per month their sell through is 30 days. if another model's dealers also typically sell 1 per month but they get 2 per month their sell through is 60 days. at some point the second dealer has to cut off supply but the point is, both dealers are selling the same # of cars, but one is considered to be selling twice as 'slowly'.
Old 01-11-22, 11:44 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Yeah the IS was selling super fast in 2021 because there simply wasn't enough to meet demand for the hot new refreshed model, but in reality, it sold in smaller numbers than the TLX.
Old 01-11-22, 11:55 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackruner
How are these numbers figured out? The only reason I ask is because I don't know of any car sitting on the lot for over a month let alone 6. Pretty much every car near me is sold before it hits lots.
Don't want to dive too far into this, but it's from the ISeeCars listing information, so when a dealer puts it on their site and then when they drop it from their site. Which is FAR from reliable. We all know dealers like to play games with listings, leave vehicles up on the site even if it's not available anymore, etc. That plus the fact that the ISeeCars inventory sample seems to be extremely limited compared to the big ones like Cars.com or AutoTrader or Cargurus. So leveraging listing data for this metric is fairly meh, compounded by the potential lack of actual data coverage from them makes it even more suspect.

Again creates for click baity type posts, which of course generates ad revenues and whatnot, but not really meaningful to consumers or the industry.

Back to the Type S. I'm glad the Type S exists, it's better than just having the A-Spec with its 4 banger, or even just throwing the V6 in the standard equipped TLXes. Will it outgun everything out there? No. Was there a marketing/hype mismatch? Likely so. But the changes made to the suspension and the development of the turbo V6 are pretty nice to have as options. Are there other options? Yes, so the more the merrier. Let's enjoy some nice driving cars with some character while we can.