Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 / 2022 Buick Envision

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 09:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
U.S. tariffs don't apply to vehicles made with UAW labor. They apply only to vehicles made outside American borders.
What about tariffs on components, like steel?
Old 06-03-20, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
What about tariffs on components, like steel?

Are you talking abut imported steel? We still produce some steel within or our own borders, although, of course, nothing like before the 1970s.
Old 06-03-20, 12:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Are you talking abut imported steel? We still produce some steel within or our own borders, although, of course, nothing like before the 1970s.
I thought there was promise that all the US steel mills in the rust belt were gonna come back?

U.S. tariffs don't apply to vehicles made with UAW labor.
I think you confused. If something is made in the US with UAW labor, there would be no US tariff.

U.S. tariffs don't apply to vehicles made with UAW labor. They apply only to vehicles made outside American borders.
Just so you know....Any car made in Canada or Mexico with a certain percentage of North American parts is US tariff-free.
Old 06-03-20, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I thought there was promise that all the US steel mills in the rust belt were gonna come back?
The promise (which was largely kept) was that American steel jobs would return.....a number of them have. Nowhere was a promise made that things would be like they were 40 years ago. I can't expound any more on it here, because it would probably violate the prohibition on political posts.

I think you confused. If something is made in the US with UAW labor, there would be no US tariff.
No confusion. That was exactly my point.

Just so you know....Any car made in Canada or Mexico with a certain percentage of North American parts is US tariff-free.
Agreed.....but that didn't change my point.

Tariffs and surcharges, though, don't necessarily impact sales....the way Japanese vehicles sold here in the 1980s proved that. They went out the door faster than they could come in, despite tariffs and/or dealer mark-ups.
Old 06-03-20, 04:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
It seems a few here aren't concerned with the trade imbalance that exists with China and the US. China is not our friend, look at the Covid virus. Most products consumed in the US are made in China today. One example that is serious is that most of the medications bought by US citizens are made in China. What would happen if China decided to hold back on exporting them to the US? It's time we brought back production to the US and buy non Chinese made products when we have a choice. Our country's future depends on it.
It is actually quite interesting, people on here don’t seem to care. Or they just wanna argue origin for the sake of origin. I like to know where everything is made, yes you are right drugs that are used by Americans are manufactured in China. Most are too young to remember when they were in fact made domestically, that all changed around the late 80s 90s and I think 2000. Even worse, there are no tariffs for drugs coming into the country, but there are tariffs to China on drugs exporting the USA. Most are too young to remember when they were in fact made domestically, that all changed around the late 80s 90s and I think 2000. Even worse, there are no tariffs for drugs coming into the country of China, but there are tariffs to China on drugs exporting the USA

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-03-20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-03-20, 06:59 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

As for everyday hard goods, most of us have little choice. That made-in-China merchandise is just about all you can find in the stores.
X2^^^^^^^

Most of us here on Car Chat believe in capitalism, but within some reasonable bounds. When you have CEO's making some 400 times (+/-) what the average company employee makes, that, IMO, is not reasonable bounds. Don't forget, it's the average everyday employees that keep a company humming and those lucrative pay/benefit packages possible for the execs. >The hands that feeds you deserve some of the pie....currently, a lot of them are just getting a small piece of the crust, and little or none of the pie-filling.
<
>>>>Used to be if you worked for Henry, you could afford one of his cars....A couple of my buddies work for Ford at plant 2 in Claycomo which just started back up a week ago.....Nope they don't get really any special breaks on a 150, let alone any Ford vehicle.
The promise (which was largely kept) was that American steel jobs would return.....a number of them have. Nowhere was a promise made that things would be like they were 40 years ago. >>>I can't expound any more on it here, because it would probably violate the prohibition on political posts<<< I get what your saying.......

Agreed.....but that didn't change my point.

Tariffs and surcharges, though, don't necessarily impact sales....the way Japanese vehicles sold here in the 1980s proved that. They went out the door faster than they could come in, despite tariffs and/or dealer mark-ups.
Old 06-21-20, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, here's (supposedly?) a preview-shot of the 2021 Envision's interior, but I can't (and won't) vouch for its authenticity. So, don't toss any stones at me if it isn't. Buick, of course, has not officially released any interior shots.....which, IMO, they should have done by now.

However, as tex2760 mentioned earlier, it could (?) be a parts-bin interior that doesn't necessarily reflect the final design. But, seems to me that, with an early-2021 release schedule, they would have things final, or pretty close to it, by now.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-21-20 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 08:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Nice interior, very driver-centric
Old 06-22-20, 08:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Nice interior. Not really a fan of push button PDRL, but I guess that is what is in style. I don’t love it when the interior is slanted towards the driver 3/4 of our cars are like that, but it is what it is I guess.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-22-20 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-22-20, 11:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

could be 2021 china only for now.
Old 06-23-20, 09:21 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
could be 2021 china only for now.
Good, keep it there.
Old 06-23-20, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Good, keep it there.

Why? Once the pandemic is over, there is still a red-hot market in the U.S. for upscale-crossovers, and this new Envision is sure to sell quite well.....particularly with its good looks. Sure, I'm with you that I'd rather see it built in the U.S., with American labor instead of Chinese, but, regardless of its plant-of-origin, there will be a good market for it here. In fact, I'm going to take a good look at it myself....I liked a lot of things about the new Buick Encore GX, but found the turbo-three engine lacking in refinement and the ride not as smooth as I would have preferred.
Old 06-28-20, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's the (estimated) pricing from Car & Driver, though Buick itself has not formally released pricing yet.

These prices seem a little high to me, although GM has been somewhat high on their SUV pricing lately.....witness the loaded 50K Blazers. Still, for a Buick, these prices are squarely in Cadillac XT4/XT5 territory.....which suggests, to me, that Buick, along with Cadillac, is aiming the new Envision squarely at Lincoln's Corsair.

https://www.caranddriver.com/buick/envision
  • Select: $38,000 (est)
  • Preferred: $41,000 (est)
  • Essence: $44,000 (est)
  • Premium: $46,000 (est)
  • Avenir: $50,000 (est)
Old 06-28-20, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

....and, folks, it looks like we now have the first official interior photos...from a GM-credible source.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/06...nd-new-photos/

2021 Buick Envision Interior Revealed In Brand New Photos

Sponsored Links

When General Motors announced the all-new 2021 Buick Envision for the United States and for China, it only shared images of the exterior of the overhauled crossover, leaving the appearance of the cabin a mystery, until now. Brand new photos officially shared by GM in China reveal the 2021 Buick Envision interior, including that of the range-topping Avenir trim level as well as less models. Both will be sold as the Buick Envision in the North American market, while getting the Envision S moniker in China.

The images show what we previewed in spy shots last year: the second-generation Envision will have a state-of-the-art cabin that’s full of luxury and technology.

Aesthetically, the 2021 Buick Envision interior features the latest interpretation of the brand’s interior design language, characterized by an asymmetric and unique layout.

Particularly noteworthy is the large multimedia screen embedded in an original configuration with an 18-degree inline towards the driver in order to facilitate readability and usability.

The dash is divided into two primary sections, with the display, instrument panel, and outboard air vents being part of the top section, while climate and vehicle controls are part of the lower section on the center stack, flowing into the console. A set of air vents within the center stack divides these two sections.

Meanwhile, the dash distinctly separates the driver and front passenger sections. There’s also a single armrest that’s divided into two sections, along with a gear selection mechanism that uses triggers/buttons identical to that found in the the Chinese-market Enclave.

In addition, the 2021 Buick Envision interior offers ample space with a capacity for five passengers and more than 20 storage spaces. The feeling of spaciousness is enhanced by the largest panoramic sunroof in its segment, providing an open and comfortable viewing experience for occupants. The Avenir range-topper has an interior finished in Ivory White and Jazz Black, with high-quality materials and finishes.

The all-new 2021 Buick Envision will go on sale in late 2020 in China and in early 2021 in North America. All the details related to equipment and features will be revealed closer to launch in both markets.

GM Authority has confirmed with Buick officials that this all-new Envision will be produced at the SAIC-GM Jinqiao South plant to supply both the Chinese domestic market as well as the United States, Canada and Mexico. The vehicle rides on the GM E2 platform shared most directly with the first-generation Cadillac XT4.

Subscribe to GM Authority as we bring you the latest Buick Envision news, Buick news and ongoing GM news coverage.
Old 06-29-20, 06:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Really don't like the angled center stack, but other than that, looks very nice.

Quick Reply: 2021 / 2022 Buick Envision