Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 / 2022 Buick Envision

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-20, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's the most detailed video of the new Envision posted yet....apparantly from a Chinese-market sample.

Good chance this may be my next vehicle. I like the Encore GX's looks, particularly the two-tone black/ivory interior and burnt-orange exterior color, its overall size for nimbleness and parking (which I do a lot of), its easy-to-use conventional shifter, and its available equipment for the price. But it lacks some refinement in its road manners (particularly for a Buick), and the three-pot turbo engine vibrates and shakes like a wet dog at low RPMs. The new Envision, with its turbo-4 and more refined suspension, looks like it will solve both problems.

Yes, I lament the loss of Buick's American-market sedans (that's no secret), and I still think that the people at GM that made that decision were idiots....even from a business perspective, apart from my own likes or dislikes. But I am a very forgiving person (I could explain why, but we're not supposed to speak about religion on CL), and still have a strong attraction to the Buick nameplate.....always did, even from my teen years. Besides, my Lacrosse, which is admittedly comfortable in its road manners, is large enough to be rather bulky in my everyday shopping/parking in the D.C.-area traffic. My next vehicle will almost certainly be at least a little smaller...and have more ground clearance.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-01-20 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 07:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's the most detailed video of the new Envision posted yet....apparantly from a Chinese-market sample.

Good chance this may be my next vehicle. I like the Encore GX's looks, particularly the two-tone black/ivory interior and burnt-orange exterior color, its overall size for nimbleness and parking (which I do a lot of), its easy-to-use conventional shifter, and its available equipment for the price. But it lacks some refinement in its road manners (particularly for a Buick), and the three-pot turbo engine vibrates and shakes like a wet dog at low RPMs. The new Envision, with its turbo-4 and more refined suspension, looks like it will solve both problems.

Yes, I lament the loss of Buick's American-market sedans (that's no secret), and I still think that the people at GM that made that decision were idiots....even from a business perspective, apart from my own likes or dislikes. But I am a very forgiving person (I could explain why, but we're not supposed to speak about religion on CL), and still have a strong attraction to the Buick nameplate.....always did, even from my teen years. Besides, my Lacrosse, which is admittedly comfortable in its road manners, is large enough to be rather bulky in my everyday shopping/parking in the D.C.-area traffic. My next vehicle will almost certainly be at least a little smaller...and have more ground clearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsih7mPx3XQ
You have just set out the entire thought process of everyone who has moved from a sedan to an SUV. This is exactly why the market has moved the way it is. You often suggest car companies are brainwashing customers into thinking they need crossovers. Are you being brainwashed? No. You just see the practicality.

Last edited by tex2670; 08-02-20 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-02-20, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsih7mPx3XQ
That is a very IMPRESSIVE looking Buick inside and out. The interior quality looks excellent and the seats
Old 08-02-20, 08:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The vehicle in the video looks like Avenir trim. That looks like the way to go with the Envision.
Old 08-02-20, 12:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The vehicle in the video looks like Avenir trim. That looks like the way to go with the Envision.

Yes, that's definitely an Avenir.....the badges show up clearly in the video.

I like the way they did the Avenir trim in the new Envision, with the two-tone Black/White-Ivory interior......other Avenirs were done only in the Black/Chestnut-Brown combo, which I thought was less impressive. Hope they do that two-tone black/white combo in the Americanmarket...that is a Chinese version. Buick, of course, does a lot of things in China that they don't do here.

BTW, this is a perfect example of why Cadillacs, in general, do not impress me. IMO, you simply get more for your money (relatively speaking) with the Triple Shield....although one admitted Buick loss for 2020 is the Cadillac-grade warranty they formerly had in the American market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-20 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
You have just set out the entire thought process of everyone who has moved from a sedan to an SUV.
Not quite. If I stay a Buick (or Lincoln) customer, I simply have little choice. That is not the case with other manufacturers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-20 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 02:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Not quite. If I stay a Buick (or Lincoln) customer, I simply have little choice. That is not the case with the manufacturers.
why limit yourself to buick or lincoln? Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES, Acura TLX, Mazda 6, Genesis G80, and many more. plenty of nice mid to large size sedans around.

like you, i'm debating what my next vehicle will be, and whether it will be sedan or suv. Or sports car

Old 08-02-20, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why limit yourself to buick or lincoln?
They are my two favorite brands, though neither one is cast in stone. I've bought of couple of new Toyotas in my lifetime.....and, of course, a Lexus IS.

At one time, I thought a Toyota was better-built than the typical domestic-badged product......that, IMO, has changed significantly in the last 15 years or so. Some Toyota products, like the 4Runner, GX570, Land Cruiser, and LX are still extremely well-built, but I am not impressed with many others.

I am tempted, BTW, to look at a 4Runner, if for no other reason, the deteriorating road-structure...even if and when they are properly re-paved, the utility companies invariably come in, chop them up to make underground repairs, and then leave only partly-filled (or overfilled) sections, shallow ditches across the road, and other half-a**ed things that jolt your suspension.

I've got some friends and associates that have 4Runners (and Jill, here on Car Chat has one). They seem to hold up through just about anything.

like you, i'm debating what my next vehicle will be, and whether it will be sedan or suv. Or sports car
Since you liked your Miata so much, why not consider a leftover Fiat 124 Spyder, if you can find an unsold one (they have been discontinued in the U.S.). Yes, it's an FCA label, but it is essentially a Japanese-designed Miata with what IMO is much-better-looking front and rear end styling. The only downside is the Italian-sourced engine.... but, with the turbo, you at least get somewhat more power than with the N/A Miata.

For me, though, like I said above, if I stay with Buick, the new Envision will be a real temptation...though I like the Encore GX's size for ease of driving/parking.
Old 08-02-20, 03:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Coming from a buick i don't think you'd like the ride quality of a 4runner, but yes, you'd be prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

as for another miata or fiat 124 spyder for me, no thanks, too small.
Old 08-02-20, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Coming from a buick i don't think you'd like the ride quality of a 4runner, but yes, you'd be prepared for the zombie apocalypse.
The Verano, in the wintertime, when the tires and shock-fluid were stiff, was not exactly a Cream-of-Wheat ride on rough roads.

as for another miata or fiat 124 spyder for me, no thanks, too small.
To be honest, I don't know how you regularly got in and out of the last Miata you had without bending yourself into a pretzel. I'm an inch or so shorter than you are (maybe two inches shorter, now that I have gotten older), and I find don't find it very easy myself.....although each succeeding Miata generation has loosened up on interior space a little, even if very slightly.

I only mentioned the 124 because I thought it looked so much better than the Miata....and had much of its build quality, minus the engine. If national power was related to automotive styling, the Italians might have probably ruled the world.

Don't want to get too far off-topic, but I suppose you will be looking closely at the GV80 when it debuts. We're still waiting for it here in the D.C. area.....it's not at dealerships yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-20 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 04:38 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not quite. If I stay a Buick (or Lincoln) customer, I simply have little choice. That is not the case with the manufacturers.
That's not quite what you said:

​​​​​​
Besides, my Lacrosse, which is admittedly comfortable in its road manners, is large enough to be rather bulky in my everyday shopping/parking in the D.C.-area traffic. My next vehicle will almost certainly be at least a little smaller...and have more ground clearance.
Old 08-02-20, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
That's not quite what you said:

​​​​​​
That's exactly what I said. I said, factually, that if I choose to stay a Buick (or Lincoln) customer, sedans will not be an option.

I'm less-likely to rule out a crossover, though, today, than in the past, for several reasons.

BTW, did you watch the video on the Envision that I posted? That was the main reason I bumped the thread back up. Quite impressive inside......though that is a Chinese version and may or may not be accurate as to what we get in the U.S.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-20 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-11-20, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

2021 Envisions now driving at American ports, according to gmauthority.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/12...ving-at-ports/

First 2021 Buick Envision Models Now Arriving At Ports

• We are currently looking for experienced automotive journalists and editors to join our team. Make $60k-$80k per year doing what you love. We are also looking for an experienced forum moderator to join our team. See details here.

Sponsored Links

The first units of the all-new, second-generation 2021 Buick Envision are now arriving at ports, GM Authority has learned. As such, the vehicle will soon become available at retail.

The next-gen 2021 Buick Envision continues to be offered as a compact four-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV), slotting above the smaller Buick Encore GX and Buick Encore, as well as below the larger Buick Enclave with regard to the Tri-Shield brand’s model lineup. Notably, the new Envision will offer Buick’s popular high-end Avenir trim level, a first for the nameplate.

Outside, the 2021 Buick Envision features a lower, wider stance, with styling cues pulled from the Buick Enspire concept that debuted in 2018. The cabin space features an available 10-inch touchscreen that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a number of built-in apps, including Pandora, Amazon Alexa, and Fox Sports. Safety technology features include standouts like Automatic Emergency Braking, Front Pedestrian Braking, Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, and Forward Collision Alert.

Motivation is sourced from the turbocharged 2.0L I4 LSY gas engine, which produces 237 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Output is routed through a nine-speed automatic transmission, with FWD equipped as standard, and AWD offered as an available option on all trim levels with the exception of the base model. The range-topping Avenir trim offers an exclusive twin-clutch AWD system.

According to the EPA, the 2021 Buick Envision is rated at 24 mpg in the city, 31 mpg on the highway, and 26 mpg combined when equipped with FWD. Add in the optional AWD system, and the EPA estimates drop to 22 mpg in the city, 29 mpg on the highway, and 25 mpg combined.

Under the skin, the 2021 Buick Envision rides on GM’s E2 platform, the same bones as the Cadillac XT4. Production takes place at the GM China (SAIC) Jinqiao plant in Shanghai, Ch
Old 12-11-20, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^^^ Definitely going to check it out, although I don't think I'm going to be sorry I ordered an Encore GX instead. The concave-shaped dash, shifter-buttons, overall vehicle size, split-opening console-storage-cover, and general button-layout just aren't my cup of tea. Plus, it will run a substantially more than a GX, and will be built in China (an unfriendly country to us) in a plant that probably abuses its workers. The GX is built in a former Daewoo plant in South Korea.

It will, of course, have one thing nicer than a GX......an extra pot in the engine.
Old 12-12-20, 07:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice interior. It’s shame it is not made with American labor.

Quick Reply: 2021 / 2022 Buick Envision