Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 / 2022 Buick Envision

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-20, 07:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nice interior. It’s shame it is not made with American labor.

Yes, as far as I know, the only American-market Buick product still made in the U.S (at Lansing, MI) is the Enclave.......which, perhaps, is not surprising, as it is closest to a traditional Buick. However, given the choice, Korean assembly, for our dollars, is obviously far preferable to Chinese....both the Encore and Encore GX are produced in Korea.

While I respect your opinion, I'm not quite as enthralled with the new Envision's interior as your are (several features I don't like)...but I'll reserve more judgement until I see it and sample it myself. I do think it has a more-fitting power plant than the Encore GX, but, of course, also more weight to haul around and more bulk to maneuver.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-20 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-21-21, 12:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Buick officially launches the redesigned 2021 Envision

The 2021 Buick Envision is officially official. Yes, that Envisionthe one we showed you back in May 2020 — is now for sale, and we now have all of the finer details about the redesigned crossover, which is lower, wider and more technologically robust than its predecessor.

One could argue that we already knew the most important thing about Buick's updated CUV: It looks good. The same couldn't necessarily be said of its previous incarnation, which, like several of GM's outgoing small crossovers, could be charitably described as inoffensive, but often merely looked frumpy and incoherent.

Rather than the flow-for-flow's-sake design of the outgoing model, the 2021 boasts a more chiseled, angular look, especially in Avenir guise. It also boasts a redesigned cabin and a new suite of standard tech features, including standard forward collision warning, front pedestrian braking and rear park assist. Optional goodies include a HUD, wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and a hands-free power liftgate.

Avenir models bake in several of the standard Envision's optional upgrades, including heated and ventilated front seats, a massaging driver's seat and heated outboard rear seats. It also offers an optional adaptive suspension.

“The all-new 2021 Envision is a tremendous opportunity for the brand,” said Duncan Aldred, global vice president for Buick and GMC. “With strong, differentiated designs, and a combination of advanced technologies and premium appointments, it will stand apart in one of the industry’s most competitive segments.”

Buick has also nailed down the specs on the Envision's updated powertrain. The 2.0-liter turbo engine will make 228 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Front-wheel drive is standard, with GM's twin-clutch all-wheel-drive system available as an upgrade. Both models get a nine-speed automatic gearbox.

As confirmed previously with the release of Buick's 2021 order guide, the Envision starts at $32,995 (including destination) and is available at dealers now.
Source
Old 01-21-21, 12:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

really impressive optional feature set including:
- HUD
- wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- massaging driver's seat
- adaptive suspension

Old 01-21-21, 12:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Sharp looking Buick
Old 01-21-21, 01:00 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Possibly worst launch of the past year.... cars are already at dealers and have slowly been selling without any sort of awareness or support.
Old 01-21-21, 06:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I really hope Lexus IS benchmarking this.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-21-21 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 06:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's not bad. Loaded Avenir is $45K.
Old 01-21-21, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really impressive optional feature set including:
- HUD
- wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- massaging driver's seat
- adaptive suspension

Sounds like you think more of this new Envision than you did the last Enclave Avenir you looked at, which you said you were not impressed with. We are likely to see a new Enclave for 2022, which Hoovey has just posted in a separate new thread.

I agree that the former Avenir trims on Buick products that I've seen (Regal, Lacrosse, Enclave) are not that impressive over the regular versions....particularly for what they cost. They offered unique brownish seat/trim colors inside, a different grille, some added trim/badging outside, and that's about it. Strictly cosmetic, and not all that much at that.
Old 01-22-21, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK......after months of waiting, the first real test-drives are available here in the U.S. (in English)....not just walk-arounds. A couple test-drives were previously available from China, but not in English.

Of course, I intend to test-drive one myself. I will probably do a full MM-Review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-22-21 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-22-21, 05:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I thought I saw some prices listed.
Old 01-22-21, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's another test-drive in English....but this guy describes it like exactly what he is....a salesman LOL.

Old 01-22-21, 07:28 PM
Veyron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This redesign makes the Envision look sharp and muscular from the front. The old one looked like it hadn't been updated since 2010 with the 'egg' like styling and small grill. I think it looks better than the 2022 Enclave that is coming soon.

The Encore GX uses a bigger headlight design whereas the envision has a squint-y/aggressive look with the Daytime Running Lights/headlights which are in the same but smaller housing. I would have preferred this Envision look on the Encore GX as well. Wouldn't you agree mm ?

Last edited by Veyron; 01-22-21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-22-21, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Veyron
Wouldn't you agree mm ?
This redesign makes the Envision look sharp and muscular from the front. The old one looked like it hadn't been updated since 2010 with the 'egg' like styling and small grill. I think it looks better than the 2022 Enclave that is coming soon.
No question that the new Envision, overall, is much better-looking than the old one, although I don't particularly like the way that the center part of the dash tilts in towards the driver....I never was a fan of that "cockpit" look, at least in autos. I'm also not impressed with the shift-buttons on the console, at least the way that look and shift in the videos.....but I'm going to have to try them for myself, on a test-drive.

The Encore GX uses a bigger headlight design whereas the Envision has a squint-y/aggressive look with the Daytime Running Lights/headlights which are in the same but smaller housing. I would have preferred this Envision look on the Encore GX as well.
Haven't driven the Encore GX at night yet (plan to early next week), so I can't comment on the actual headlight performance of the halogens on the Select-Trim model...Essence models get LED headlights. As far as the actual looks of the lights themselves, I am not a fan of the excessive-squint/tiny-slit look. In fact, on the Jeep Cherokee, I thought it made the front end look like an insect.

I would have preferred this Envision look on the Encore GX as well.
On both the Encore GX and 2021 Envision, IMO at least, the rather conservatively-sized grilles on both of them (which I Iike, BTW) has more of an effect on the front ends than the size of the headlight-bezels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-22-21 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-22-21, 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For those interested, Buick now has the data/specs and Build-Your-Feature for the new Envision up and running on the website.

https://www.buick.com/suvs/envision

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-21 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-23-21, 11:06 AM
Veyron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as the actual looks of the lights themselves, I am not a fan of the excessive-squint/tiny-slit look. In fact, on the Jeep Cherokee, I thought it made the front end look like an insect.
Definitely, I would consider the 2014-2018 Jeep Cherokee(shown below) split headlight design excessively narrow which made the car look really ugly. The headlights on 2019-present Cherokee shown on the picture you posted above look about the same size as the new Envision.

2014-2018 cherokee

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On both the Encore GX and 2021 Envision, IMO at least, the rather conservatively-sized grilles on both of them (which I Iike, BTW) has more of an effect on the front ends than the size of the headlight-bezels.
Right the grills on these Buick's seem to be a normal size for a modern vehicle instead of following the Lexus and BMW 4 series trend. I still would have preferred to see the Envisions headlight housing with DRL's on the bottom on the Encore GX.

Quick Reply: 2021 / 2022 Buick Envision