Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 / 2022 Buick Envision

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I checked out a new Steel-Gray 2021 Envision Essence FWD, with monotone-black interior, today, in the showroom, at my local GM dealership (I was there to pick up the rubber floor mats for my Encore GX, which arrived).

It had a nicer, more substantial engine than the Encore GX (which I already knew), nice hood gas struts instead of a prop-rod, and better/softer trim on the inside rear-door panels. But, otherwise, I was clearly not impressed. Narrow, uncomfortable (for my physique) leather front seats. Cheap plastic controls/buttons not as solid-feeling as in the Encore GX. Shifter buttons on the console a joke...a combination of buttons, push-rim-tabs, and pull-up features....each one works differently. Seats don't fold as flat as those in the Encore GX for storage-space....although that might (?) just be on me if I wasn't doing it correctly. Less-solid feeling/thunk to the door openings/closings. Miniscule-sized climate-vents in the dash. Lower-body-cladding uses shiny black plastic instead of the more durable vinyl material. I may be a Buick fan (which I'll admit), but I just wasn't much-impressed with this one....it looks more impressive in Google-images, particularly with the two-tone black/white interior, that it feels in person. Like the last Envision, appears designed more for the Chinese market than this one....and, of course, it comes from a Chinese plant...Encore GXs are built in Korea.

The Encore GX, overall, at least based on a static-review, is MUCH better suited to my present driving needs and tastes. And I'm glad I ordered it (and received it) when I did, as the moron GM marketers are going to drop five Encore GX colors next month, including the Bronze Metallic I ordered.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-27-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 03:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Saw one of these today.

WOW!

SHARP!
Old 02-24-21, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw one of these today.

WOW!

SHARP!

Here's Alex's take on it.

Old 02-24-21, 05:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Saw it. Got high marks. Seems like this is what a Lexus used to be with A ride and quiet demeaner.
Old 02-24-21, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Saw it. Got high marks. Seems like this is what a Lexus used to be with A ride and quiet demeaner.
Yes, you don't have to sell me on Buicks, but I can honestly say it has a number of features I don't like, particularly on the dash and console. I agree with you that, in general, Buick has become the American Lexus, although price-wise, it probably competes more closely with Acura and Infiniti.

A major marketing error on Buick's part, IMO, was the rollback last year of the standard factory warranty from the same 6/72 and 4/50 that Lexus/Lincoln/Cadillac/Acura/Infiniti have to the more plebeian 5/60 and 3/36 that Chevy and GMC use. Although it wasn't a deal-breaker for me (note my GX), that removed a significant selling-point for some potential customers.
Old 03-01-21, 04:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/24/...#slide-2290605

Only flaw is where is the location of assembly. I think this is a nicer vehicle that what Lexus offers at the same price point. IMO
Old 03-01-21, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Only flaw is where is the location of assembly.
Buick produces a number of vehicles in China (their largest market, by far)....but the Envision is the only one they export to the U.S. from a Chinese plant. In fact, to my knowledge, it is the only vehicle of Chinese manufacture, from any manufacturer, sold in the U.S. The Encore GX is also built in China, but the American-spec versions (like mine) come from Korea.

I think this is a nicer vehicle than what Lexus offers at the same price point. IMO
Perhaps. Let's wait and see what Lexus has to offer with the new NX coming up. I admit I disliked the last NX, for several reasons, but I'm keeping an open mind on the new one, particularly with the excellent job Toyota just did on the new Venza.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-04-21 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 08:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Consumer Reports has done a first-drive test:

First Drive: 2021 Buick Envision Is a Competent but Unexciting SUV

Buick’s midsized model has a comfortable ride and user-friendly controls

By Jon Linkov
March 30, 2021

Buick has morphed from a brand known for big, floaty sedans to one that—currently—offers only SUVs.

Interestingly, most recent Buicks have their roots in other countries. While the big Enclave is from the U.S., the redesigned Envision (as with the previous generation) is built in China; the Encore GX is from Korea; and the discontinued Regal was originally built by Opel (then a General Motors-owned company) in Europe.

If you ran a 23 and Me test on every Buick, they’d come back as mostly unrelated to each other.

Though this luxury-lite brand has tended to have reliable vehicles, they haven’t kept pace with the more-competitive models. Many of them have felt like fancy versions of less-expensive Chevrolets.

The redesigned 2021 Buick Envision might be the first model in a long time to break that mold.

The first-generation Envision was an underwhelming, mostly unimpressive product that didn’t stand up to luxury competitors like the Audi Q5—which GM tried to pit it against—or even top-trim versions of more mainstream SUVs like the Mazda CX-5. It had a floaty yet unsettled ride, clumsy handling, and an ordinary interior.

MORE ON SUVS
Quietest Midsized SUVs From Consumer Reports' Tests
First Drive: 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe Gets New Styling and Updated Technology
Stress-Free SUVs That Won't Drive You Crazy
10 Most Satisfying Cars, According to Consumer ReportsWith this redesign, Buick has addressed some of the flaws of the first model, while also establishing what the Envision “experience” is about in terms of interior ambience, ride comfort, and amenities.

We bought a 2021 Buick Envision Essence AWD for the CR autos test program and also rented a top-trim Envision Avenir from the manufacturer.

If you’re a Consumer Reports member, our initial expert assessment of the Envision is available below.

After we log more than 2,000 break-in miles on our Buick, we’ll put it through more than 50 tests at the CR Auto Test Center, including those that evaluate acceleration, braking, fuel economy, handling, car-seat fit, and controls. CR members will get access to the full road-test results as soon as they’re available.

If you haven’t signed up yet, click below and become a member to access this full article and all of our exclusive ratings and reviews for each vehicle we buy and test. Joining also gives you full access to exclusive ratings for the other products our experts evaluate in several categories, including electronics and home appliances.

Sign up for CR's Cars email newsletter to be notified when we post our latest road-test results.

What we bought: 2021 Buick Envision Essence AWD
Powertrain: 252-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine; nine-speed automatic transmission; all-wheel drive
MSRP: $37,600
Options: $2,500 Technology package (HD surround vision; head-up display; Bose premium audio system; front park assist; infotainment system with navigation, 10-inch touch screen, wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay; HD radio), $1,450 Panoramic Moonroof, $350 Illuminated Door Sill Plates, $85 Wheel Locks
Destination fee: $1,195
Total cost: $43,180

What we rented: 2021 Buick Envision Avenir
Powertrain: 252-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine; nine-speed automatic transmission; all-wheel drive

CR's Take

This generation Envision is a more polished and finished vehicle than its predecessor, with a comfortable ride, a quiet interior, a responsive powertrain, good fit and finish, and an easy-to-use infotainment system. Plus, it comes standard with key active safety systems. As such, it’s a solid entry compared with a Ford Edge, Lincoln Corsair, Toyota Venza, or any other two-row $40,000 SUV.

The Envision isn’t designed to take on the sporty end of the midsized SUV segment, however. Handling is far more “relaxed” than “exciting,” with noticeable body lean. And the steering is light and artificial feeling.

What We Like

Ride comfort: As one of our drivers said, “this is a highlight of the SUV.” It’s clear that Buick prioritized a luxury experience over outright performance and the compromised ride comfort that is usually part of it. The Envision is softly sprung, and it absorbs impacts from cracked pavement and bumps very well. Impressively, the body stays steady and well-controlled. Drivers did note that once in a while a big impact from a large bump or pothole would punch through.

Quiet interior: Buick’s designers and engineers did a good job at keeping out most wind and road noise, and even the engine is muted. It’s only when traveling at 65 mph or faster that some tire and pavement noise mixes in with engine hum.

Engine performance: There’s plenty of power from the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. The Envision takes off from a stop without any delay, and power is readily available through the rev range. It isn’t exceptional or exciting; it just works well. The stop/start system restarts the engine smoothly and quickly, without any jolts or shudders.

Transmission operation: For the most part the nine-speed automatic has smooth, prompt shifts and always feels as if it’s in the correct gear for the situation, whether it’s in-town traffic with constant acceleration and deceleration or cruising on the highway where you may need a sudden burst of power to pass.

Visibility to the front and sides: It’s nice that the infotainment screen is integrated into the dash—rather than tacked on top of it—so there’s nothing that blocks the view out. Combine that with the Envision’s low dashboard, and the driver is given an expansive view out the front window. Visibility to the sides is very good, and the windshield pillars are slim enough that they don’t block vehicles at perpendicular intersections.

Infotainment system: One of General Motors’ strengths is its straightforward, comprehensive infotainment systems. It’s easy to quickly master the Envision’s basic features, and the system works without delays or long pauses when making a selection. Another plus is the small lip over the top of the screen, which does a good job cutting down on sun glare washing out the display.

Physical climate controls: It’s all-too-common for automakers to cram every possible function into the infotainment system, whether it’s for a sleek look, lack of space, or just to be “Tesla-like.” Fortunately, the Envision has physical controls for key climate functions. There are more adjustments accessible through the infotainment screen, but users aren’t forced into the screen for most actions.

Cargo area and access: GM uses a **** for the interior power-hatchback release in its vehicles. Pressing it opens or closes the hatch from inside the vehicle, but rotating it allows the driver to set how high the cargo door will open. This is helpful for shorter people to be able to reach the close button on the door itself, as well as for people who may have clearance issues with the ceiling where they park, such as in a parking garage. In addition, the cargo area is very generous, and the rear seats not only are easy to fold but also lie flat, creating an expansive space.

What We Don't Like

Engine sound: The four-cylinder engine has an annoying sound, with comments ranging from “engine noise is not pleasant” and “sounds like a toy” to “wheezy,” “whining,” and “gritty.” However you want to characterize it, at most speeds the quality of the engine sound is out of place for a luxury vehicle. Though some drivers noted the sound isn’t as bad as in other GM vehicles with the same turbocharged four-cylinder engine, the noise is still prevalent and unpleasant.

Too much wheel spin: Envisions equipped with all-wheel drive are delivered with the front-drive mode selected. But we noticed unusual and noticeable front wheel spin when taking off, particularly on wet pavement, even after switching to all-wheel-drive mode. That can be disconcerting for some drivers.

Gear selector: General Motors has been moving to buttons for some of its gear selectors, mostly in the GMC products. Though the one in the Envision is different from those, it still generated a lot of comments. It is reminiscent of the shifters in Acura and Honda vehicles, alternating push-pull buttons and levers in a row along the center console between the seats. Unfortunately, the levers for Drive and Reverse look like two similar buttons, so it’s easy to try and press them from muscle memory, then have to take extra time to look down to make sure you grab the correct one—particularly troublesome if backing out into traffic, for example. It’s a positive that the control for the parking/emergency brake is nearby, and not hidden in a different location.

Fixed seat belt anchor: A number of drivers noted that the fixed upper seat belt anchors in the Envision ended up positioning the belt in an awkward way for them. Either the belt would ride high up along their neck or cut too low, almost on their shoulder. Most vehicles have adjustable anchors in the front seats, so the driver (and front passenger) can raise or lower the belt height for a safe and comfortable fit. The Envision does not.

Rear visibility: To begin with, the rear roof pillars are quite thick, which hurts visibility already. But even though the side windows are long, the Envision lacks a small third side window, which amplifies the problem. The result is a major blind spot when the driver looks over their shoulder. Fortunately, the rear cross traffic warning and optional surround-view camera help, particularly if pedestrians are crossing behind.

Low dash vents: A byproduct of that integrated infotainment screen is that the air vents are placed very low in the dash. This results in lots of cold or warm air being blown at the drivers’ elbows or waist, and not up around their face.

Avenir value: We don’t see a significant difference in appearance between the Essence and Avenir trim levels, so why would customers want to pay more? Yes, the Avenir includes bigger 20-inch wheels, but they negatively impact ride quality. The only real difference between an Essence with the Technology package and the Avenir are the quilted seats, an annoyingly loud massage feature, ventilated seats, and the large wheels. We say skip the Avenir.

What We Will Keep an Eye On

Handling and steering: There isn’t anything particularly exciting about the Envision’s handling. There’s noticeable body lean, particularly when driving on winding back roads. However, the rubbery, overly light, and artificial-feeling steering is more problematic. It is short on feedback and feels slow at first, then quickly speeds up, which is awkward when adjusting your driving line in a corner. We’ll have more experience once we run the Envision through our routine- and emergency-handling tests.

Secondary controls: The Envision features buttons on the back of the steering wheel that make it easy to change the volume or frequency/station on the audio system. However, they lack any contrast, such as a dimple or ridge, which can make it hard to immediately know whether you’re using the proper one. In addition, the three buttons on the left-hand side of the infotainment screen (for power/volume, tuning, and jumping to the Home screen) are a far reach away and are difficult to use without the driver having to peer around the steering wheel.

Rear-seat comfort and space: The rear seats have a mixed initial verdict. Though the space is generous and there’s good headroom, along with plenty of room under the front seats for feet and toes, most people commented on how the bottom seat cushion is low and flat, which results in little under-leg support.

Active Safety and Driver Assist Systems

It’s nice that key active safety systems are standard, including forward collision warning (FCW), automatic emergency braking (AEB) with pedestrian detection, blind spot warning (BSW), rear cross traffic warning (RCTW), lane departure warning (LDW), and lane keeping assistance (LKA).

The LKA isn’t particularly effective, however. On arrow-straight roads, it may pull the Envision back into the lane, and even then it intervenes rather late—pretty much when you’re about to depart the lane.

Old 04-05-21, 12:33 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Shocking it doesn't have adjustable shoulder belt anchors. That became standard on nearly every vehicle starting in the mid-90's.
Old 04-05-21, 04:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Shocking it doesn't have adjustable shoulder belt anchors. That became standard on nearly every vehicle starting in the mid-90's.
GM is famous for this type of cost cutting. Height adjustable shoulder belts are missing in quite a lot of GM stuff. BMW does this too.
Old 04-05-21, 05:55 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

China, china, china. Nyet!
Old 04-05-21, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't driven a new Envision yet, but I've static-inspected one. CR is correct about the Honda/Acura-style shift-buttons. That's one of a number of reasons why I chose an Encore GX over the new Envision.....the GX has a simple, no-nonsense conventional PRNDL fore/aft shift-lever. This business we have nowadays of so many different systems of shift-levers/buttons/stubs/E-joysticks, etc.... in different vehicles is preposterous, and, IMO, invites Federal legislation to standardize them like what happened back in the 1960s with the PRNDL levers themselves. I don't see that as a political issue, but a safety-one.
Old 04-06-21, 06:12 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

The more I look at the Envision, the more I like what I see. The upcoming NX is still almost certainly what I will end up buying at the end of the year, but I will probably be comparing it to the Envision before I do.
Old 04-06-21, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dorsai
The more I look at the Envision, the more I like what I see. The upcoming NX is still almost certainly what I will end up buying at the end of the year, but I will probably be comparing it to the Envision before I do.

If you like those two, you might also want to make a look at the Lincoln Corsair and Cadillac XT4/XT5.....although Cadillac and Lincoln have both had reliability problems. The Corsair, however, is very impressive inside, drives very well for a compact luxury-crossover, and uses more-solid trim-materials than its competition.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-06-21 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-06-21, 07:09 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you like those two, you might also want to make a look at the Lincoln Corsair and Cadillac XT4/XT5.....although Cadillac and Lincoln have both had reliability problems. The Corsair, however, is very impressive inside, drives very well for a compact luxury-crossover, and uses more-solid trim-materials than its competition.
The Corsair didn't do much for me....it's got a lot of nice features, but the interior just doesn't look right. I do like the Cadillac XT4....but as I was configuring it, the price started going up REALLY fast. There's no telling where the new NX will end up price-wise, so maybe the XT4 will be competitive anyway. Good calls, thanks.

Quick Reply: 2021 / 2022 Buick Envision