Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 / 2022 Buick Envision

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 11:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2021 / 2022 Buick Envision

This new made-in-China (the first Buick sold in America that was assembled there) crossover is full of sharp edges, muscular lines arcing through the body and crisp lighting fixtures. It’s verging on European in nature. If this is a hint of things to come at Buick, we are quite optimistic for the future of its crossover designs now that the cars are dead.

“The 2021 Envision will be lower and wider, with premium proportions and striking styling designed to combine the expressiveness of a car with the practicality of an SUV,” said Helen Emsley, executive director, Global Buick and GMC Design.

Perhaps you’re hoping for additional details? We only have a few. Buick says it will be powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, and shifting duties will be handled by a nine-speed automatic transmission. It’s likely the same 2.0-turbo that makes 252 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque in the outgoing Envision. There’s no word on the 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder model, but it’s likely being dropped from the lineup.

There are no interior photos, but it’ll have a 10-inch infotainment screen in the center that comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality as standard equipment. There will also be a number of safety and driver assistance features tacked on as standard including lane-keeping assist, forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking and pedestrian detection, rear parking sensors and GM’s safety alert seat that pulses directionally for alerts. Some options include a 360-degree camera, front parking sensors, rear cross-traffic alert, blind-spot warning, head-up display and GM’s rearview camera mirror.

Buick also says the Envision will be available in their top-tier Avenir trim. Other details will have to wait for later in the year, as Buick says all will be revealed at some point down the road.
Source
Old 05-29-20, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for posting, Hoovey. Might be something I'm interested in, as I liked the Encore GX (excellent size, loads of standard equipment, and stunning two-tone interior for its class) but am seriously put off by its vibration-prone turbo-three-cylinder engines. The new Envision, like the old one, should have at least a decent power plant. Didn't really care for some things on the old Envision, though...the interior was not very impressive, for one. Hopefully the new one will address that interior shortcoming....but I don't like those rubber-band tires shown in the photo. We'll see.

Originally Posted by article
This new made-in-China (the first Buick sold in America that was assembled there)
Actually, this part of the article is not correct.....the first-generation Envision was also built in China.

IT, not the new one, was the first American-market Buick to be built there.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-20 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 12:28 PM
Hoovey689

It has a Mazda / Porsche Macan vibe to me, but that's not a bad thing. Overall looks pretty good.

I think they just worded it weird. They are referring to the Envision since it's inception, not breaking it down between 1st and 2nd gen. We all know first Envision came from China and continues to. Hence it is the first Buick sold in America that was assembled in there.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 05-29-20 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 12:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

the buick trailblazer or buick blazer
Old 05-29-20, 12:38 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Buick Envision = Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain
Chevy Blazer = GMC Acadia and Cadillac XT5
Chevy Trailblazer = Buick Encore GX
Old 05-29-20, 01:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Valid effort, but doesn't strike me as anything too original or earth-shattering. I see some Dodge Durango or Mazda CX in the overbite front face.
Should sell well for the brand. Or at least I hope people find out about it and check it. I don't think I saw more than one or two of the previous one on the road.
Old 05-29-20, 01:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

With the Blazer costing $50K+ before heavy discounts, if I'm going to contemplate spending that kind of money, I think I'd prefer this Buick.
Old 05-29-20, 01:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Buick Envision = Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain
Chevy Blazer = GMC Acadia and Cadillac XT5
Chevy Trailblazer = Buick Encore GX
I rented an Equinox last year on vacation. That cargo area looks A LOT smaller than the Equinox's.
Old 05-29-20, 01:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Buick Trailblazer is already spoken for...the Encore GX.
Old 05-29-20, 02:05 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by tex2670
I rented an Equinox last year on vacation. That cargo area looks A LOT smaller than the Equinox's.
And that is because of the design. My point was they all ride on the same Delta D2XX platform (Envision, Equinox, and Terrain). The Blazer, Acadia and XT5 are on the Epsilon C1XX platform, and the Trailblazer and Encore GX are on the VSS-F platform.
Old 05-30-20, 08:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's the only shot of the interior I could find....still mostly-under-wraps. Buick has not officially released interior photos yet, but (fortunately), someone from gmauthority.com was willing to upload at least this much.

I don't believe in keeping new vehicles under wraps. Show as much as possible, as soon as possible. This is also a vehicle I may be seriously interested in.....makes me glad I waited and didn't splurge on that new Corsair when I was tempted to do so several months ago. It combines the Encore GX's good looks with what appears to be a decent powertrain....something the GX seriously lacks.

One big problem, though.....made in China. Since GM was so determined to shut down sedan-production at the Hamtramck and Lordstown plants, THIS (and the Encore GX) is what they should be building there, with American labor, instead of batteries.

Also, according to the link, it will share its platform with the Cadillac XT4.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/05...s-2-0l-engine/

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-30-20 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 09:12 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like a very nice design for Buick.

Great effort.
Old 05-30-20, 09:21 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

Great effort.
Looks better then the original one for sure....
Old 05-31-20, 10:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's the only shot of the interior I could find....still mostly-under-wraps. Buick has not officially released interior photos yet, but (fortunately), someone from gmauthority.com was willing to upload at least this much.

I don't believe in keeping new vehicles under wraps. Show as much as possible, as soon as possible. This is also a vehicle I may be seriously interested in.....makes me glad I waited and didn't splurge on that new Corsair when I was tempted to do so several months ago. It combines the Encore GX's good looks with what appears to be a decent powertrain....something the GX seriously lacks.

One big problem, though.....made in China. Since GM was so determined to shut down sedan-production at the Hamtramck and Lordstown plants, THIS (and the Encore GX) is what they should be building there, with American labor, instead of batteries.

Also, according to the link, it will share its platform with the Cadillac XT4.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/05...s-2-0l-engine/
OK, you don't believe in keeping under wraps--but part of the reason they do this, particularly in the interior, is because the design isn't final. The shot you posted could be a crudely constructed parts-bin interior, which won't reflect the final design.
Old 05-31-20, 11:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

Great effort.
really? looks like they phoned it in to me. looks like many other crossovers. is there anything special about it?

Quick Reply: 2021 / 2022 Buick Envision