Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20 | 08:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vladi
No comparison, 3IS was in-between model much like 4GS when it comes to full transition to spindle. There is so little they could have done with 3.1v facelift. This 3.5v of IS is a full body repackage and there is simply no contest between the two.
God I hope this wont last full model cycle. This thing simply can't compete mechanically. Sure it will sell to the few loyalists in the first year to year and a half and that's it.
Old 10-08-20 | 08:42 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by situman
God I hope this wont last full model cycle. This thing simply can't compete mechanically. Sure it will sell to the few loyalists in the first year to year and a half and that's it.
Pray tell how it can't compete mechanically? In terms of skidpad? Slalom times? Figure 8? Driving enjoyment? Engine reliability? If we measure according to those metrics, the 2021 IS might be a winner.
Old 10-08-20 | 10:40 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I suspect 3.5IS will cruise along in 4th position behind 3 Series, C Class and A4.

The Genesis G70 & Jaguar XE compact will trail the field at 5th & 6th respectively.
Old 10-09-20 | 06:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
Pray tell how it can't compete mechanically? In terms of skidpad? Slalom times? Figure 8? Driving enjoyment? Engine reliability? If we measure according to those metrics, the 2021 IS might be a winner.
Except that buyers and enthusiasts in this segment don't use those metrics. You can make anything a "winner" if you change the metrics you use around to make what you want to be the winner wind up the winner.

This IS will be an also ran, and will be dominated by the other entries in the segment which are newer, have better powerplants, more customizability. Lexus just isn't competitive in any RWD segment anymore.
Old 10-09-20 | 07:02 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Except that buyers and enthusiasts in this segment don't use those metrics. You can make anything a "winner" if you change the metrics you use around to make what you want to be the winner wind up the winner.

This IS will be an also ran, and will be dominated by the other entries in the segment which are newer, have better powerplants, more customizability. Lexus just isn't competitive in any RWD segment anymore.
^^^^^ What Steve said^^^^
Old 10-09-20 | 08:11 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Sorry but you're not very convincing. Handling and driving enjoyment are precisely the metrics that car enthusiasts would zero in on and thus completely relevant when talking about competing in a sports sedan segment.

Also you said a lot but seems to signify very little. Basically what you said = POWAHHH!!! and but but but... newer must be better!!!!!

I think discerning car enthusiasts can look beyond clichés like newer must be better and hp bragging rights.
Old 10-09-20 | 08:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry but you're not very convincing. Handling and driving enjoyment are precisely the metrics that car enthusiasts would zero in on and thus completely relevant when talking about competing in a sports sedan segment.

Also you said a lot but seems to signify very little. Basically what you said = POWAHHH!!! and but but but... newer must be better!!!!!

I think discerning car enthusiasts can look beyond clichés like newer must be better and hp bragging rights.
Okay, well when this IS outsells the BMW 3 Series, MB C Class and/or Audi A4, come talk to me. Most buyers wont even consider this car.
Old 10-09-20 | 08:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Its crazy to think enthusiasts don't like power. In this segment power matters a ton and the IS350 just doesn't have any. If I was getting a Miata or GT86, the power matters less because I want handling and capability more than power. This is a daily sports sedan luxury segment where power, beyond the base level, matters to enthusiasts. You may not agree but go peruse a BMW forum or S4 forum and you'll see a ton of enthusiasts who want the entire package including the power. The issue is that the competition handles well...go test drive a G70 or 3 series and its perfectly sporty and comparable to the IS350, Giulia, whatever. Its a lot harder to make the Lexus faster though so that's where the rub is.
Old 10-09-20 | 11:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

From what is looks like. I think Toyota has spent the money on the driving dynamics....The new Lexus Driving Signature and from there it is on styling...they have crafted something that is not bland nor boring...I personally do not like the pre-refresh but the the new style I like.....as for powertrain....they have kept the starting prices down which is likely the goal and it is clear Lexus is putting pressure on Genesis with their G70.. I do agree with your comments
Old 10-10-20 | 09:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
From what is looks like. I think Toyota has spent the money on the driving dynamics....
I know you mentioned styling, but seems to me they spent way more on changing just about every part of the exterior and lighting. It's definitely an improvement too, imo.

I bet this new '21 IS is GREAT to drive, and while the 3.5 V6 may not be the fastest, it's smooth and quite quick anyway.

I feel they could have done more with the interior though.

but in the end it's the sum of all those things and buyers will decide if they're enough to choose the IS over many other compelling offerings.
Old 10-10-20 | 09:41 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Some nice close ups of the triple leds and forged BBS wheels of a silver IS350 F-Sport.

Old 10-12-20 | 06:55 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I know you mentioned styling, but seems to me they spent way more on changing just about every part of the exterior and lighting. It's definitely an improvement too, imo.

I bet this new '21 IS is GREAT to drive, and while the 3.5 V6 may not be the fastest, it's smooth and quite quick anyway.

I feel they could have done more with the interior though.

but in the end it's the sum of all those things and buyers will decide if they're enough to choose the IS over many other compelling offerings.
It seems what it is a half baked product that will not resonate with buyers. Interior is 7+ yr old design with huge screen tacked on. Engine that is 15yrs old and still 6speed auto?!? in 2020 🤔.

Also the IS350 RWD version with all the “sport package” options for the great handling will only be seen in a magazine. Northeast will never get RWD car and good luck with custom order.

If Lexus cared about being the best, they would put in the 3.5tt V6 and 10speed with LS inspired interior. That is how MB, BMW, Audi do with Cclass, 3series, A4. That would be a winner.
Old 10-12-20 | 07:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the IS350 transmission has been the 8 speed from the ISF since 2014. its the AWD one that gets the 6 speed
Old 10-12-20 | 07:58 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the IS350 transmission has been the 8 speed from the ISF since 2014. its the AWD one that gets the 6 speed
The IS F debut in 2008 so the 8-speed is a 13 year old design. I hope they tuned the lag out of it because the 3IS had a noticeable delay when using the paddle shifters.
Old 10-12-20 | 08:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
IS350 awd is a 6-speed auto.
In Northeast, there are no RWD IS350s.

Quick Reply: 2021 Lexus IS