Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20 | 02:00 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ChpEng
I cannot imagine being a development driver at Shimoyama. Every view I see of that track shows little or no run-off area and high guard rails. Does not exactly encourage approaching the limit.
From this video, it seems to have run-off areas similar to Nurburging, after which it was modelled :

Also, the section that is in the videos and seen in press materials is only the shorter Central section which is mainly winding country road test course. There will be a longer Eastern section which I assume is more high speed straights :

Source : https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/co.../27926766.html

Last edited by natnut; 10-31-20 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-02-20 | 11:18 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Originally Posted by natnut
OR, you go for the more beautiful car because IMO, the 2021 Lexus IS is one of the most complete designs in the compact sport sedan segment at the moment.

This reviewer goes more in detail on the exterior design of the 2021 IS and he echoes my feelings.

Based on my personal experience with the 2021 and seeing how non-enthusiasts are reacting to the 2021 IS in the flesh, Lexus has a winning design.

Admittedly the powertrain is not class leading but how many S4 and M340i are sold in comparison to A4 and 330i? That fact alone tells me the enthusiast market is a vocal but over-represented segment online.
​​​
Raitis Rides is a good reviewer for sure.

Probably said this before, but both small luxury sedan buyers both enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts have been attracted to the Tesla Model 3, which definitely was disruptive in the segment. Of course, sales don't lie, it SOLD better than everything in the segment including the Germans. Will be interested to see how the nicely styled MY21 IS does, but I remain skeptical, because most buyers either want a crossover or the TM3. Lexus dealers should be offering nice lease deals already.
Old 11-03-20 | 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Admittedly the powertrain is not class leading but how many S4 and M340i are sold in comparison to A4 and 330i? That fact alone tells me the enthusiast market is a vocal but over-represented segment online.
No doubt!

i used to spend time on camera forums but realized they're a waste of time and really annoying as pretty much every discussion turns into a war with 'extremists' arguing over canon, nikon, sony, etc., when perhaps it should be about taking nice photos!

CL thankfully isn't that bad but posters who must have the 'last word' are often not 'helpful'.

The refreshed IS is a strong effort without doing a new car. I am surprised they still couldn't bothered to put power folding mirrors on a car at that price point though, it's not like they would have had to retool body panels to do it.

But hey, in a sea of utes i'm glad the IS is at least being kept alive.
Old 11-08-20 | 06:45 AM
natnut
Pole Position

TRD And Modellista Have Their Way With The 2021 Lexus IS

The facelifted 2021 Lexus IS was unveiled in June and already TRD and Modellista are offering styling upgrades.

Starting with TRD, it has launched a new front splitter that can be finished in black or painted body color. As standard, we think the updated IS looks pretty aggressive, but this new splitter makes it even more striking.

Elsewhere, TRD has designed aerodynamic wing mirror covers, new side skirts, a sports muffler and a custom rear diffuser.

TRD is also offering unique 20-inch forged aluminum wheels alongside a performance damper and new bracing. Those interested in the TRD parts can check them out in the online configurator.

As for Modellista, its parts are a little more subtle. At the front, there are new splitter add-ons that give the car some added style without being as eye-catching as the TRD splitter. Other parts include extended side skirts, a custom body-colored diffuser, a rear lip spoiler and a distinctive set of wheels.

In late September, Lexus confirmed that the 2021 IS will start at $39,000 in the U.S. The rear-wheel drive IS 300 is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder with 241 hp, whereas the all-wheel drive version gets a 260 hp 3.5-liter V6 and the range-topping IS 350 a 3.5-liter V6 pumping out 311 hp.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/11/tr...2021-lexus-is/
TRD configurator : https://www.trdparts.jp/lexus/is/index.html

Modellista configurator : https://www.modellista.co.jp/en/product/is/

You can buy the parts from TRD and Modellista.Alternatively, on the Lexus Japan website, you can add the TRD and Modellista parts as official dealer options when configuring your IS online and buy the car as modified straight from the Japan Lexus dealer:

https://lexus.jp/simulation/step2.html?seriesCode=IS&modelCode=GSE31-raBEZLH%28F%29&bodyColor=1J7&wheel=10D&interiorColor=EA70_is&plan=smart&atama=1500000&kai=60&bonus=0&p=lexusjp&gen=2011

One interesting thing I noticed from the Lexus jp configurator is that the 20 inch TRD Forged wheels are lighter and cheaper than the BBS 19 inch Forged wheels.
Old 11-08-20 | 05:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Saw the new IS today. IS300awd.

exterior looks sharp!!!’

The car looks much smaller in person compared to the previous model.

The rear looks wider too. I like it

Old 11-09-20 | 04:00 PM
Kense
Instructor

It's a good looking car, but the performance doesn't match the looks. I'm not sure why they just didn't at least put 350 Hp in there. An IS350 with 350 HP would be pretty cool. The car is pretty slow for looking the way it does.
Old 11-09-20 | 04:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kense
It's a good looking car, but the performance doesn't match the looks. I'm not sure why they just didn't at least put 350 Hp in there. An IS350 with 350 HP would be pretty cool. The car is pretty slow for looking the way it does.
Price. And they know people are not gonna buy this over a BMW. The price stayed pretty much the same. I can see Lexus leaving this segment or making. Mazda shared car. The sales in the segment just don’t justify the cost of a new model.
Old 11-09-20 | 09:12 PM
situman
Pole Position

TRD configurator : https://www.trdparts.jp/lexus/is/index.html

Modellista configurator : https://www.modellista.co.jp/en/product/is/

You can buy the parts from TRD and Modellista.Alternatively, on the Lexus Japan website, you can add the TRD and Modellista parts as official dealer options when configuring your IS online and buy the car as modified straight from the Japan Lexus dealer:

https://lexus.jp/simulation/step2.html?seriesCode=IS&modelCode=GSE31-raBEZLH%28F%29&bodyColor=1J7&wheel=10D&interiorColor=EA70_is&plan=smart&atama=1500000&kai=60&bonus=0&p=lexusjp&gen=2011

One interesting thing I noticed from the Lexus jp configurator is that the 20 inch TRD Forged wheels are lighter and cheaper than the BBS 19 inch Forged wheels.
So they finally officially acknowledging and labelling the IS as a piece of TuRD.
Old 11-09-20 | 09:49 PM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Price. And they know people are not gonna buy this over a BMW. The price stayed pretty much the same. I can see Lexus leaving this segment or making. Mazda shared car. The sales in the segment just don’t justify the cost of a new model.
Japanese auto companies need to stop worrying about the Germans. They can’t compete with their loyalty. Just make something that Lexus or JDM car people will buy. Sell a few high performance F models for a few thousand more. If they are going to discontinue their sporty sedans go out with a bang.
Old 11-12-20 | 06:36 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Where is the IS500 at that was rumored to launch, and some dealers were taking deposits for Nov?
Old 11-12-20 | 12:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What would be the point of doing this to the new IS?

P235/40R19 (Front) Standard for IS 300 RWD Optional for IS 300 AWD Standard for IS 350 AWD
P265/35R19 (Rear)
Old 11-12-20 | 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Many sport sedans have staggered wheel fitment
Old 11-12-20 | 01:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Got that....but for what reason?
Old 11-12-20 | 01:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Staggered wheels with a wider patch in rear will give you additional traction on the drive wheels, as well as a more aggressive look.
Old 11-12-20 | 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Staggered wheels with a wider patch in rear will give you additional traction on the drive wheels.
Interesting stuff. Anyone know when Lexus first started doing this? Maybe Toyota did it with their past Supra models?

Quick Reply: 2021 Lexus IS