Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Had a Jeep Compass as a loaner...a truly terrible car

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 02:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts
Default Had a Jeep Compass as a loaner...a truly terrible car

So, I've driven a lot of cars. Rarely do I come across a car that I find actually terrible, well the Jeep Compass is such a car. Had one as a loaner while my Pacifica was in the shop, 2019 model. Uncomfortable driving position, low worthless console, loud, hard riding. The grabbiest brakes I have ever seen on a car, a slight application of the brake pedal brings on a full stop. Steering has no on center feel, slow, notchy, surging transmission performance.

Truly terrible vehicle.
Old 06-01-20, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Did you see my reply to your Compass-complaint in the Wagoneer thread? if not, I'll repeat it here

Originally Posted by mmarshall
LOL.....If you think the Compass is bad now, you should have seen it (if you don't remember) before they spruced up the interior and trim a little. The former one, looks-wise, could have passed as a military vehicle....it also drove like one.
Old 06-01-20, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It hasn’t come very far...
Old 06-01-20, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It hasn’t come very far...

It was, mechanically, a twin of the old Dodge Caliber, except with a different body and a classic Jeep-slotted-grille.
Old 06-01-20, 03:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I've driven a lot of cars. Rarely do I come across a car that I find actually terrible, well the Jeep Compass is such a car. Had one as a loaner while my Pacifica was in the shop, 2019 model. Uncomfortable driving position, low worthless console, loud, hard riding. The grabbiest brakes I have ever seen on a car, a slight application of the brake pedal brings on a full stop. Steering has no on center feel, slow, notchy, surging transmission performance.

Truly terrible vehicle.
We go back and forth on CL all the time about what buyers want, and what car makers should sell. Look at all the Jeep Compass' on the road today. It competes in a category of vehicle with SO MANY choices, that there is literally no need to settle. But a vast majority of buyers are perfectly content driving a mediocre or even bad vehicle. Either they don't know better, or just don't care. It looks cute, and they can say they drive a Jeep. That's what they care about.
Old 06-01-20, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
We go back and forth on CL all the time about what buyers want, and what car makers should sell. Look at all the Jeep Compass' on the road today. It competes in a category of vehicle with SO MANY choices, that there is literally no need to settle. But a vast majority of buyers are perfectly content driving a mediocre or even bad vehicle. Either they don't know better, or just don't care. It looks cute, and they can say they drive a Jeep. That's what they care about.
The Compass, even with its faults, also appeals to people without lot of money to spend on a vehicle. It is currently the lowest-priced American-Market Jeep (22K), undercutting the Renegade by a few hundred dollars.

(The Renegade, BTW, being a redone Fiat 500X with a classic Jeep body, is also nothing to write home about)
Old 06-01-20, 03:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Compass, even with its faults, also appeals to people without lot of money to spend on a vehicle. It is currently the lowest-priced American-Market Jeep (22K), undercutting the Renegade by a few hundred dollars.

(The Renegade, BTW, being a redone Fiat 500X with a classic Jeep body, is also nothing to write home about)
Price is only one factor; and you don't compare its price to other non-Jeep products.

Plus, I see plenty of upper trim Compass' on the road.
Old 06-01-20, 03:47 PM
LexusFanUS
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

We bought the first Compass in town back in '06 when it came out. Had lots of issues with the rear hatch not closing in winter, a rattle, a crack on the rear hatch trim, rear brake squeal in reverse (was in the shop many times for that same issue).

Geez I'd never buy another Compass, they just don't understand quality and reliability. About the only Jeeps that interest me are the Gladiator ($$$$) and the Wrangler (less-so). I'll just stick with my 91 Jeep Comanche instead, it's better LOL.
Old 06-01-20, 04:22 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I like the style of the Compass, and you can still get a manual of all things! The 6 speed auto transmission is made by Aisin (I guess no 9 speed autos here).

Sadly, I doubt I'd want to own one and deal with the potential issues. I've seen enough of them with the mom-van crowd though.
Old 06-01-20, 04:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Should have just bought a Sienna. You would not be in the shop as Toyotas never break, therefore no Compass loaner

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-01-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 04:38 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Should have just bought a Sienna. You would not be in the shop as Toyotas never break, therefore no Compass loaner
I think most Compass buyers wouldn't qualify for financing at the Toyota store. Choice was probably this or Nissan lol.
Price is only one factor; and you don't compare its price to other non-Jeep products.

Plus, I see plenty of upper trim Compass' on the road.

Yeah, the Compass is at the bottom of the ratings in its class, BUT they are a good seller with the incentives because you can buy them just about anywhere in the country including the mom and pop run dealers in small town America where patriotism is stronger than urban/city environment. Jeep brand is strong, that's the reason why Fiat bought Chrysler in the first place. OTOH, the Grand Cherokee was actually done well and sells as well as the Highlander IIRC.

Last edited by TRDRAV4; 06-01-20 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So Siennas don't break? Sorry, Jill, but that's nonsense. My ex-Flight-Instructor and his boss's company had two of them....both had significant problems, one with the sunroof, and the other a defective camshaft in the engine. In both cases, they were not satisfied with Toyota's warranty coverage/action.

Now, I'm not saying all Siennas have (or will have) a problem, and in general, they break less-often than is average for minivans. But to make a blanket statement that they are somehow bulletproof is just unrealistic.
Old 06-01-20, 05:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Would have happily bought a Sienna if Toyota had a modern offering at the time. This time it wasn't the Pacifica's fault, there was crud jammed into the latches of the third row seat which caused it to jam. Dealer didn't charge me for the fix or the loaner (they only cover loaners for warranty work over 8 hours) which was super great of them. The Chrysler dealer has been a lone bright spot in my Pacifica ownership, they are really great. Sadly probably no Sienna this time because of the hybrid only powertrain and the inability to remove the second row seats. My wife is digging her heels in about another minivan, so it looks like we might wind up rolling the dice on another Pacifica.

And while obviously much more reliable than the Pacifica, every Toyota/Lexus product I have had has required warranty work and dealer visits, including my 17 LS. 17 LS required a brake actuator, 15LS required a whole new nav headhunt when it was brand new and was off the road 2 weeks, GS had several rattles and a bad door lock actuator, My 03 ES had a new steering rack under warranty, LS430 had a huge recall when it was new. 04 Prius had a whole radio headunit replaced and the hybrid inverter went bad and left us stranded on the road.

So, Toyotas absolutely do break.

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
Sadly, I doubt I'd want to own one and deal with the potential issues. I've seen enough of them with the mom-van crowd though.
Driving one will cure any interest you may have for it lol

True.

They even put the Jeep logo on the mirror surface so you would always know you were driving a Jeep. Oddly my Grand Cherokees lacked this loI
​​​​​​​

Old 06-01-20, 05:50 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Driving one will cure any interest you may have for it lol
Find me one in a stick shift and perhaps it will change my mind I'll just wait for Hoovies Garage to buy the cheapest one for our enjoyment.
Old 06-01-20, 06:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
Find me one in a stick shift and perhaps it will change my mind I'll just wait for Hoovies Garage to buy the cheapest one for our enjoyment.
This vehicles problems go far beyond the transmission lol

Quick Reply: Had a Jeep Compass as a loaner...a truly terrible car