Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A 205 hp 4-cylinder will be in the AWD Camry and Avalon (no mention of Lexus ES)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are wrong on a lot of this ^^^
I don't believe that I am.

Ask any crossover buyer if they would consider a minivan, you will get shocked responses and immediate declarations that they would not.

People have preferences for certain types of vehicles, and just because a feature they want may not be offered in that type of vehicle with a certain brand doesn't mean they will just jump to an entirely different sort of vehicle. I'm a nice soft big sedan buyer, if Lexus came out with a nice soft SUV, and they continue not to have a nice soft, big sedan that doesn't at all mean I will buy that SUV.

Bottom line is, Lexus just isn't offering true luxury products really anymore. They don't have a full lineup...don't offer the features or powertrains of their competitors. Its just getting worse too.

It makes zero sense to have an AWD Camry and Avalon and not an AWD ES.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-03-20 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-03-20, 01:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i would not be surprised if ES AWD comes with that new 2.4t with 300hp.

Also, in markets like Russia, China, Japan, it will certainly come with 200hp 4cly since their customers will find it fine.
I can't imagine that a 4 cylinder ES will sell in the US. For the rest of the world, I think every model Lexus offers has a downmarket motor. Even the mightly LX has a diesel engine some place somewhere. I was a little surprised that the Avalon is even coming with the 4 cylinder awd option. I would be the Lexus ES will get E-awd for their hybrid model for North America
Old 06-03-20, 01:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

4 cylinder ES will absolutely sell in the US if it has enough power. 205 HP isn't going to cut it, but a turbo 4cyl ES with good power will absolutely sell. If they can sell 4 cyl 5 Series and E Classes they can sell 4 cyl ESs.

In any event..the ESh has always been a 4 cyl and nobody cares.
Old 06-03-20, 03:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I can't imagine that a 4 cylinder ES will sell in the US.
Are you aware that most of the high selling Mercedes E class sold in the U.S. are also a 4 cylinder turbo?
Old 06-03-20, 03:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Are you aware that most of the high selling Mercedes E class sold in the U.S. are also a 4 cylinder turbo?
Did you know that the GS once had a 4 cylinder and it failed miserably? You didn’t did you?.....oh, ES is not a E class competitor...
Old 06-03-20, 03:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Did you know that the GS once had a 4 cylinder and it failed miserably? You didn’t did you?.....oh, ES is not a E class competitor...
Did you know that the 4 cylinder for Lexus is the worst in class? Speaks volumes for why the GS 4 banger failed.
Old 06-03-20, 04:42 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Unfortunately, the 4-banger in the AWD Camry and Avalon isn't turbocharged, and so the power output is far from comparable to anything from Europe. Add in an AWD system and it's going to feel incredibly gutless. It may be fine for a daily commuter like the Camry, but has no place in something as refined as the ES.
Old 06-03-20, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Did you know that the 4 cylinder for Lexus is the worst in class? Speaks volumes for why the GS 4 banger failed.
Exactly, it was a crappy engine. Lexus powertrains are woefully behind the competition.

This idea that Lexus can’t do what other carmakers do is just ridiculous. This is the company that everybody said couldn’t build a luxury car at all and turned the whole industry on its ear. They can do anything they want.

Whether they have the will is another matter.
Old 06-03-20, 06:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly, it was a crappy engine. Lexus powertrains are woefully behind the competition.

This idea that Lexus can’t do what other carmakers do is just ridiculous. This is the company that everybody said couldn’t build a luxury car at all and turned the whole industry on its ear. They can do anything they want.

And cheerleading for Lexus won't help. They need to know that their enthusiast base is now dissatisfied with how they've squandered their lineup. I feel it's more Toyota Plus than its ever been.
Old 06-03-20, 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not all 4 cylinder engines are equal.
Old 06-03-20, 07:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

That consumer doesnt want the RX.

We have had this discussion before. The strategy of "well if they want that they can just buy this totally different vehicle that offers that feature". Consumers that want an AWD sedan will just leave Lexus and buy something else if that consumer isn't served. Its the same argument about space in the Highlander, "well customers who want space just buy the Sienna". No, they don't. Crossover customers don't want minivans, they want crossovers. Those customers will move to a brand that offers them what they want.

The style of vehicle is very important. ES customers who want to stay with a sedan but want AWD aren't all of a sudden going to just buy an RX because they want AWD.

Why wouldn't Avalon customers who want AWD just buy a Highlander? Why would Toyota bother to offer AWD in that? The logic just makes no sense.

Lexus is a luxury car, part of buying a luxury car is having options.
True.

4 cylinder ES will absolutely sell in the US if it has enough power. 205 HP isn't going to cut it, but a turbo 4cyl ES with good power will absolutely sell. If they can sell 4 cyl 5 Series and E Classes they can sell 4 cyl ESs.

In any event..the ESh has always been a 4 cyl and nobody cares.
True. True. True.

GS200t/300 didn't sell not because of 2.0T, but because of the ageing 4GS itself.
There may be other reasons like 4GS was very firmly sprung relative to its top selling E Class and 5 Series peers.
Whatever the case, the entire 4GS range didn't sell that well relative to its peers.

Originally Posted by EZZ

I have an IS200t, and I think the 2.0T is okay, except for the slightly flat torque and throbbiness at low RPM's.
The 3 Series 2.0T has a much more prominent flat spot at low RPM's before the turbo spools up, yet 3 Series sells like hot cakes!
The actual reasons why consumers purchase certain models can be very complex.
The badge tends to come first. Then perhaps the styling etc etc. Many may not like IS's aggressive angular styling etc etc.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-03-20 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-03-20, 07:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

not all 4 cylinder engines are equal.
You are right It is of my opinion that Toyota has by far the best naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engines with their new dynamic force technology.
Old 06-03-20, 09:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You are right It is of my opinion that Toyota has by far the best naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engines with their new dynamic force technology.
it's not hard to be the best when hardly anyone else is using naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engines now.
Old 06-04-20, 03:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engines now.
Hyundai has a new updated NA 2.5 in the new Sonata. Rated at 191hp (205hp for Toyota as per this thread)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-04-20 at 03:40 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 04:03 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the ES 350 that should get AWD as standard since it torque steers all over the place.

Quick Reply: A 205 hp 4-cylinder will be in the AWD Camry and Avalon (no mention of Lexus ES)