Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A 205 hp 4-cylinder will be in the AWD Camry and Avalon (no mention of Lexus ES)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 06:57 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

...And the wheels hop as my 2017 ES tries to grip the pavement from a stand still. I put the car in ECO mode when I need to accelerate briskly--it cuts back the wheel spin and torque steer issue.
Old 06-04-20, 07:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuss07
...And the wheels hop as my 2017 ES tries to grip the pavement from a stand still. I put the car in ECO mode when I need to accelerate briskly--it cuts back the wheel spin and torque steer issue.
eco mode and accelerate briskly are mutually exclusive.
Old 06-04-20, 07:31 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hyundai has a new updated NA 2.5 in the new Sonata. Rated at 191hp (205hp for Toyota as per this thread)
Love that a peak figure is the determination of superiority.
Old 06-04-20, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Love that a peak figure is the determination of superiority.
The Toyota engine is more fuel efficient as well

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-04-20 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 09:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's not hard to be the best when hardly anyone else is using naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engines now.
Exactly, everybody else has moved on and Toyota is about 7 years in the past.
Old 06-04-20, 09:08 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Great...they made the best base engine in the world! Nobody cares. I'd rather they release multiple iterations of their turbo 4 to get better at it.
Old 06-04-20, 09:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

noted in the press release...

Most Camry AWD grades have 202 horsepower, while the Camry XSE AWD and both Avalon AWD grades have 205 hp with dual exhaust.
so an extra exhaust gets you 3hp.
Old 06-04-20, 09:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I just don't know what this company is doing lol
Old 06-04-20, 09:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

more seriously, i finally read the whole thing, there was some serious engineering done here, mating the chassis of the RAV4 and awd prop shaft from the Highlander (!) with the bodies of Camry and Avalon.

very impressively they didn't change interior room at all and only added 165lbs.

some highlights shown:

Neither the new-generation Camry nor Avalon was originally planned to have an AWD version, so the engineering team at Toyota Motor North America Research and Development in Saline, Michigan, developed them to meet the market demand for AWD sedans. The flexibility and components of the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA), and specifically the Camry and Avalon’s TNGA platform, allowed the team to develop the AWD versions in-house with improved efficiency.

Far more than a vehicle platform, TNGA brings together new approaches to engineering, design, production and materials. Its flexibility to develop different models from the same tools had already been proven. The North America-only Camry and Avalon AWD show that TNGA can be used by individual Toyota regions to tailor vehicles to that market’s local needs.

Since the RAV4 is also based on the TNGA platform, the opportunity to share components and basic engineering was built in. The team combined the upper body structure of the Camry and Avalon with the engine, transmission, transfer case and rear differential from the RAV4. The RAV4’s version of the multi-link rear suspension was adapted with some modifications and tuning to suit the sedans. Both the Camry and Avalon AWD use a modified version of the propeller shaft from the all-new Highlander SUV.

Adapting the AWD drivetrain to the Camry and Avalon required floor structure modifications, plus the use of an electronic parking brake and a saddle-style fuel tank with an optimized capacity for AWD models rather than the flat-style tank in the FWD models. Inside the car has the same rear seat hip point height as the Camry and Avalon hybrid models. Despite the addition of a rear differential, the trunk floor height remains the same as in the FWD versions.

The transformation to AWD adds just 165 lbs. over the Camry FWD while the Avalon AWD weight is similar to that of its FWD V6 siblings.

Customers can expect the Camry and Avalon AWD to provide similar ride and handling characteristics as the FWD models, plus of course the added traction capability. The suspension tuning, wheels, and tires differentiating the Camry and Avalon model grades carry over to the new AWD models. That means, for example, the Camry XSE grade features the same sport-tuned suspension and 19-inch wheels in FWD and AWD versions.
Old 06-04-20, 10:54 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

From the highlights of the Avalon AWD: "The saddle-style fuel tank with an optimized capacity for AWD models rather than the flat-style tank in the FWD models.
The 2020 RAV4 AWD has a 14.5 gallon tank. I wonder if the gas tank size on the 2021 Avalon AWD will be 14.5 gallons as well. The gas tank size is 15.8 on the Avalon FWD and 15.9 on the ES. Remember the gas tank on the last gen ES was 17.2.
Old 06-04-20, 11:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

ECO mode is not fun to accelerate "brisky" in though! Wheel spin is entertaining.

Seriously though I never used ECO mode in the IS. Really boring and laggy.

From the highlights of the Avalon AWD: "The saddle-style fuel tank with an optimized capacity for AWD models rather than the flat-style tank in the FWD models.
The 2020 RAV4 AWD has a 14.5 gallon tank. I wonder if the gas tank size on the 2021 Avalon AWD will be 14.5 gallons as well. The gas tank size is 15.8 on the Avalon FWD and 15.9 on the ES. Remember the gas tank on the last gen ES was 17.2.
14.5 sounds like a low number for a full-size sedan. Maybe in a hybrid, sure. But I mean, my compact-sized GTI has a 13.2-gallon tank, and my IS had a 17.0-gallon tank, for comparison.
Old 06-04-20, 11:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
more seriously, i finally read the whole thing, there was some serious engineering done here, mating the chassis of the RAV4 and awd prop shaft from the Highlander (!) with the bodies of Camry and Avalon.

very impressively they didn't change interior room at all and only added 165lbs.

some highlights shown:
Happy to see you found out all of this.

It is a good question...lower fuel consumption so the tank does not need to be as large as the V6...I don't think the awd is permanent awd like the one they use in the LS500
Old 06-05-20, 09:20 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I look at the discussion there, and there is a problem in all this discussion. An important factor isn't aknoledged.

Toyota and Lexus, are world active brands. They can't afford to loose the european market, so they desperately need to bring down their fleet emission to 95gr/km. If they don't, they will pay billions in fines.

BMW is due to pay billions in fines.
Mercedes is due to pay billions in fines.
Volkswagen is due to pay billions in fines.

For the moment, european car builders try to use covid19 as an excuse for diverting the fines. But it could be devastating for those brand especially if their lobbying tactic fail, this could, honestly, bring them at the verge of their destruction. Since Dieselgate, the opinion in the public has shifted, and the once very respected automobile sector, is now seen with distrust and hostility.

And for 2030, the goal is 75 gr/km. Let's agree that the germans and to some extend, even the french, are not in a position to meet those regulations.

Toyota is simply proactively pushing to meet those emission goals. You don't need 305 horsepower and a 0 to 60 4.8 time for commuting in the midst of the NY traffic jam. Nor to cruise at 80 miles per hour on a free highway. Even 205hp are doing it okay.
Old 06-05-20, 09:33 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are right It is of my opinion that Toyota has by far the best naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engines with their new dynamic force technology.
Honda has always made the best naturally aspirated engines, Toyota's never really impressed me.
Old 06-05-20, 09:36 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Everybody sees the best elsewhere. But we don't need "the best" to drive around, it must simply be good. If fun is also delivered in the package, I'm not against.
I like the Toyota 4L V8, the 3L inline 6 NA and the 5.0L V8, they are splendid engines.

Quick Reply: A 205 hp 4-cylinder will be in the AWD Camry and Avalon (no mention of Lexus ES)