Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A 205 hp 4-cylinder will be in the AWD Camry and Avalon (no mention of Lexus ES)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 09:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
I look at the discussion there, and there is a problem in all this discussion. An important factor isn't aknoledged.

Toyota and Lexus, are world active brands. They can't afford to loose the european market, so they desperately need to bring down their fleet emission to 95gr/km. If they don't, they will pay billions in fines.

BMW is due to pay billions in fines.
Mercedes is due to pay billions in fines.
Volkswagen is due to pay billions in fines.

For the moment, european car builders try to use covid19 as an excuse for diverting the fines. But it could be devastating for those brand especially if their lobbying tactic fail, this could, honestly, bring them at the verge of their destruction. Since Dieselgate, the opinion in the public has shifted, and the once very respected automobile sector, is now seen with distrust and hostility.

And for 2030, the goal is 75 gr/km. Let's agree that the germans and to some extend, even the french, are not in a position to meet those regulations.

Toyota is simply proactively pushing to meet those emission goals. You don't need 305 horsepower and a 0 to 60 4.8 time for commuting in the midst of the NY traffic jam. Nor to cruise at 80 miles per hour on a free highway. Even 205hp are doing it okay.
Car companies need better spokesmen to tell Euro politicians/govt. they are going to ruin/bankrupt the auto industry with these ridiculous feel good emission standards especially with car companies having to deal with such losses from Covid. It could be cheaper for automakers to just pull out of much of the Euro market then try to meet those ridiculous standards or be fined so much which is passed on to the consumer.
Old 06-05-20, 09:51 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

400'000 death in Europe last year. Just because of pollution. Not even speaking about casulaty on the road.
It is a much deeper problem, and we will literally decapitate every lobbyist trying to screw us another time. Since the latest Gilets Jaune riots, we even have fully functionnal reeditions of guillotines ready to chop.
Old 06-05-20, 10:20 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Germans are in a far better position to meet the regulations as they are pushing BEV and infrastructure across Europe. VW even acknowledges this and has pushed development drastically in the last couple years. They will have a large product portfolio in a couple years of BEVs across many different segments and Infrastructure is also being heavily pushed by EU regulators. Toyota is so far behind the EV game in Europe, they'll be left behind if they don't react quickly.
Old 06-05-20, 10:48 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Toyota can always buy green credits from Tesla.
Old 06-05-20, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Everybody sees the best elsewhere. But we don't need "the best" to drive around, it must simply be good. If fun is also delivered in the package, I'm not against.
I like the Toyota 4L V8, the 3L inline 6 NA and the 5.0L V8, they are splendid engines.
A Lexus is a luxury car, its not mainstream transportation. When someone choses to buy a luxury car, they do want the best or certainly better than normal. If I didn't want the best, I would drive an Avalon and be done with it for 1/3rd of the cost.

I understand the realities of the European market, but thats why you have options that are unique to each market. The US is a much bigger market for the ES and Lexus in general than Europe. 205HP, if thats what the ES with AWD comes with, is simply not enough to motivate what will be a $55,000 luxury sedan in a satisfying way.
Old 06-05-20, 12:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

400'000 death in Europe last year. Just because of pollution. Not even speaking about casulaty on the road.
It is a much deeper problem, and we will literally decapitate every lobbyist trying to screw us another time. Since the latest Gilets Jaune riots, we even have fully functionnal reeditions of guillotines ready to chop.
Who did that study/got that number? The govt? Govt. funded universities? Are there conflicting studies? I have a hard time believing so many died just because of "pollution" by cars. Most of Europe's/UK pollution issues in cities were from their politicians forcing dirty diesels on the population from very high gas taxes/prices, now they are forcing electrics but it still won't solve the problem and will likely make issues worse/create new ones. Do they have any plans for the diesel lorries/18 wheelers that are the worst pollution offenders along with ships/aircraft?
Old 06-05-20, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
A Lexus is a luxury car, its not mainstream transportation. .
I have always thought Lexus straddles the fence between premium mainstream on the lower end models to luxury for the top end models. I would say the ES is premium car, vs a GS which would be a luxury car. But a Toyota Land Cruiser and a LX are both luxury SUVs
Old 06-05-20, 01:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have always thought Lexus straddles the fence between premium mainstream on the lower end models to luxury for the top end models. I would say the ES is premium car, vs a GS which would be a luxury car. But a Toyota Land Cruiser and a LX are both luxury SUVs
Therein lies the issue. They need to decide what they want to be, a luxury car company like Mercedes, BMW or Audi that also has a few low end entry level models, or a premium car company that has a couple high end cars, like say Acura. Right now, the high end Lexus vehicles are a rarity, and the company doesn't focus on them. They focus on the low end vehicles...which leans me towards believing they are no longer intending to compete with the big boys.

The ES has moved upmarket also, mainly because they have brought vehicles in below it in the lineup. Even a premium car though, 205 HP isn't enough to move a car at that price point in a satisfying way.
Old 06-05-20, 01:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The ES has moved upmarket also, mainly because they have brought vehicles in below it in the lineup. Even a premium car though, 205 HP isn't enough to move a car at that price point in a satisfying way.
Mercedes E class has a 1.6 I4 Turbo (125hp) in some markets. The ES has a 4 cylinder in some markets too.

Right now, the high end Lexus vehicles are a rarity, and the company doesn't focus on them. They focus on the low end vehicles..
It is cheaper to get into a Mercedes Benz sedan in the USA than it is a Lexus sedan..by almost $6000. It is also cheaper to get into a BMW sedan or coupe than it is a Lexus sedan or coupe by $5000....Should we look up Audi sedan prices?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-05-20 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mercedes E class has a 1.6 I4 Turbo (125hp) in some markets. The ES has a 4 cylinder in some markets too.
Not in this market. I don't care what they do in other markets that makes sense there, a $55k AWD ES with a 4 Cyl and 205 HP makes no sense in the US.

And you agree, you've said so yourself in this very thread so don't be a contrarian.
Old 06-05-20, 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just to be clear:

... I highly doubt the ES for the US would use the 2.5 dynamic force engine that the new Avalon is going to use....
I can't imagine that a 4 cylinder ES will sell in the US...
Old 06-05-20, 01:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Just to be clear:
I highly doubt the ES will have that option. I think it will have a hybrid E-AWD.
Old 06-05-20, 01:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Very possible. I would rather see that than see them try and ask buyers to accept a 205HP NA 4cyl.
Old 06-05-20, 02:28 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

I don't think an ES with a Camry 2.5 would sell, nor would ES300h with E-AWD.

An ES with 2.0T & AWD might sell, or better still, an ES350p Prime with a 2.5 PHEV & E-AWD with 0-60 in just 5.5 seconds similar to RAV4 Prime E-AWD.
Afterall, the ES and RAV4 share the GA-K platform.
If TMC can RAV4 Prime, then they can always ES Prime.

Below is a schematic diagram of the Prius Prime PHEV using the smaller GA-C platform.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-05-20 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 02:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Bring back the 205hp 3800 if this is where we're going, I'm not even kidding.

It gets close to 30MPG on the freeway and is plenty punchy and satisfying.

205 hp 4cyl turbo in a Lexus is not appealing at all.

Quick Reply: A 205 hp 4-cylinder will be in the AWD Camry and Avalon (no mention of Lexus ES)