Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A 205 hp 4-cylinder will be in the AWD Camry and Avalon (no mention of Lexus ES)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20 | 12:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Makes zero sense. Why would they even offer AWD at all then?

I think this is just blind fanboyism at work here. Any decision Toyota makes is the right decision and we just all don't understand.
Old 06-06-20 | 01:03 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you keep changing the goalposts of your argument.

you said toyota is doing awd sedans to make people buy highlanders, which makes no sense. if anything, they'd add awd option to sedans to sell more of those sedans, especially in colder climates. unlike gm and ford, toyota hasn't largely abandoned sedans.

then you say many others have awd sedans. Not sure the relevance.

then you say they know their demographics and quote numbers... on that i agree, but that doesn't mean you're other theories are right. it's like saying some people like oysters because some other people like vanilla ice cream and they sell a lot of ice cream.
Not to mention that a RAV4 would be the Camry substitute, not a Highlander. If you need a sedan, you don't need a 3-row SUV. And there is a HUGE price differential between an equivalent trimmed Camry vs Highlander. If the argument even made sense to begin with....
Old 06-06-20 | 01:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I think this is just blind fanboyism at work here. Any decision Toyota makes is the right decision and we just all don't understand.
Why? I never said it was the right decision. I think it’s strange to offer a AWD I4 Avalon. Camry I can sort of understand as Toyota only sells 10 percent of the Camry in V6. I would have expected an E-awd hybrid Camry or Avalon

An awd Camry option sort of makes sense in Canada as Nissan has gone only awd on their Altima and Mazda 3 offers awd so the Camry sort of fits right in there at the price points.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-06-20 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-06-20 | 01:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think the issue is Toyota is so confident they think they know what people want...they don't ask people.

One of the great things about adding AWD to a FWD vehicle is that it negates many of the inherent flaws of FWD. It helps to deal with torque steer and wheel hop, helps put power down to the ground better, helps handling feel tremendously. A good AWD system on the ES would help a lot towards it actually replacing some of what the GS meant to Lexus. Then there are the benefits in foul weather.

An AWD V6 ES would be a great addition to the lineup. The ES is better than its ever been and that would just put it over the top.
Old 06-06-20 | 01:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think the issue is Toyota is so confident they think they know what people want...they don't ask people..
I think it’s always an evolving thing to figure out what people want. I think Toyota does ask.
Old 06-06-20 | 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure who they're asking...and lots of competitors are nailing what people want.
Old 06-06-20 | 01:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

TNGA lowered the roof line, waist line & hood lines, thereby forcing the front transaxle back [tranny & diff], hence that may be why V6 presently can't be had with AWD.

Old 06-06-20 | 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I think the issue is Toyota is so confident they think they know what people want...they don't ask people.=13.33px
Well i'm in S. Florida this weekend, staying in one of a zillion retirement communities. I think Toyota knows their market. I took this today.

Old 06-06-20 | 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

And speaking of knowing their market, the couple i'm staying with is 80+ and the lady is getting ready to sell her barely used 2014 camry and thinks she wants a RAV4 because she knows others who have them. Her one complaint is you can't get a power passenger seat on one. her sister bought a rav4 and of course got some crap trim level so it looks like it was bought in Walmart (or down here, CostCo!). She can get a hyundai tucson for less money, way more features, it's not going to break with the small mileage she puts on it, and imo it looks a thousand times better. But i bet she gets a rav4.

Old 06-06-20 | 09:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

it's not going to break with the small mileage she puts on it, M
No, it will just have its engine recalled and replaced
Old 06-06-20 | 09:25 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

And speaking of knowing their market, the couple i'm staying with is 80+ and the lady is getting ready to sell her barely used 2014 camry and thinks she wants a RAV4 because she knows others who have them. Her one complaint is you can't get a power passenger seat on one. her sister bought a rav4 and of course got some crap trim level so it looks like it was bought in Walmart (or down here, CostCo!). She can get a hyundai tucson for less money, way more features, it's not going to break with the small mileage she puts on it, and imo it looks a thousand times better. But i bet she gets a rav4.
Our community has lot of couples in 30’s with young kids & the new RAV4 is everywhere. I agree Tuscon isn’t a bad choice but somehow Hyundai just hasn’t managed to make a serious inroad in that segment despite having some very good products 😀
Old 06-07-20 | 07:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sorptd
Our community has lot of couples in 30’s with young kids & the new RAV4 is everywhere. I agree Tuscon isn’t a bad choice but somehow Hyundai just hasn’t managed to make a serious inroad in that segment despite having some very good products 😀
There is a whopping 7mpg combined fuel economy advantage in favor of the Rav4....and when its time to Toyota, you add 22 more HP over the Hyundai.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-07-20 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-07-20 | 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well i'm in S. Florida this weekend, staying in one of a zillion retirement communities. I think Toyota knows their market. I took this today.
And thats an older Avalon not a new one

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There is a whopping 6mpg combined fuel economy advantage in favor of the Rav4
Gas is cheap, and when you look at how much more the Rav 4 is than the Tuscon it takes many years to recoup that cost at the fuel pump. A base Rav 4 starts where the top trim Tuscon starts. The EPA estimates it costs $300 more a year to fuel the Tuscon when you figure there's a ~ $5 delta between the two similarly equipped you're talking about 16 years to make up that difference.
Old 06-07-20 | 07:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And thats an older Avalon not a new one

Gas is cheap, and when you look at how much more the Rav 4 is than the Tuscon it takes many years to recoup that cost at the fuel pump. A base Rav 4 starts where the top trim Tuscon starts. The EPA estimates it costs $300 more a year to fuel the Tuscon when you figure there's a ~ $5 delta between the two similarly equipped you're talking about 16 years to make up that difference.
Fuel economy is just one part of the overall equation. Maybe 1/5 Part of the decision. So is powertrain, hp and performance also favours the RAV. No idea if Toyota is more competitive with safety features or not. Etc etc. So is size. I think then Hyundai is slightly larger. Resale, warranty, and reliability all factor in.

But there is no doubt a RAV4 in city has better MPG efficiency than the Tucson on the hwy

The RAV4 is very hard to beat in the segment for the Hyundai brand.
Old 06-07-20 | 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Fuel economy is just one part of the overall equation. Maybe 1/5 Part of the decision. So is powertrain, hp and performance also favours the RAV. No idea if Toyota is more competitive with safety features or not. Etc etc. So is size. I think then Hyundai is slightly larger. Resale, warranty, and reliability all factor in.
For many buyers, price is a huge factor. All those other things are great, but at the end of the day for a lot of people its how much the thing is going to cost per month and the Tuscon is going to be a lot cheaper.

But there is no doubt a RAV4 in city has better MPG efficiency than the Tucson on the hwy
No doubt, but its also much more expensive (15% or so more)

The RAV4 is very hard to beat in the segment for the Hyundai brand.
Hyundai is doing fine, and the Tuscon is an older vehicle that will be getting a full redo soon. Rav 4 wouldn't be my choice at all in that segment anyways.

Lets put it this way, the Rav 4 is so expensive you could move a class up with Hyundai and get a Santa Fe or a Sorrento. Hell, you could get a Palisade.

Only value proposition for the Rav 4 is "its a Toyota" A loaded one is over $40,000 which is just absurd for an economy scale crossover.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-07-20 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: A 205 hp 4-cylinder will be in the AWD Camry and Avalon (no mention of Lexus ES)