Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A 205 hp 4-cylinder will be in the AWD Camry and Avalon (no mention of Lexus ES)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20 | 04:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well my morning walk today yielded more shots

Nice ls460 and a cheesy corolla

This couple probably from Michigan and they felt obligated to still have a big 3 vehicle (Cadillac)

Then you have the rebellious cheapskate that bought 2 Mitsubishis. note they're parked front out as if to give the middle finger to neighbors.

Probably younger people moved in with 2 Kia's.

The Nissan contingent...

And finally to re-establish the toyota dominance... RAV4 and Camry...

Kinda creepy you went around taking these photos. You could block out some of those licence plates. Just a thought. .
Old 06-07-20 | 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Anybody walking past their house can read their license plates...
Old 06-07-20 | 04:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Houses are not the same here. My neighborhood is high end but not "very" high end as in mansions I assume you mean.. Look around on Zillow zip code 37919 or 37934 at higher end neighborhoods, houses are not generally the same in subdivisions.

I know what every house looks like on the inside on my little street and adjacent culdesac (about 25 houses), or about 80% of them. None are the same. At all.

Now, I could show you plenty of neighborhoods with a million split levels for sure. That's the worst floorplan ever.
I truly don’t know how a thread about 205hp Toyota’s went into all kinds of crazy nutty stuff in this thread. The houses in the farther out subdivisions in Toronto are way to similar. I hate townhouses. Condos I have no problem with. Our Rochester home is unique...plan will be to sell the Toronto condo at some point, but Covid messed all that up.
Old 06-07-20 | 06:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Whatever you say lol. It’s the same everywhere but Knoxville, got it.
Look for yourself like I said. I'm not imagining my neighborhood, or the neighborhood I grew up in.

I don't have to be a REA to know what houses are like in my own city, thanks. Of course some are the same, but like I said neighborhoods like in those pictures generally don't really exist here unless they're identical condos or townhouses. South Florida is chalk full of areas like that, this area isn't so much. My father lived in Boca, I know what it's like there.

There's about 20 houses in my little nook and none are the same. Floorplans are all over the place. I've seen pictures of most of them inside; they're different.

We looked at about a million houses and weren't looking at duplicates, they were all different.
Old 06-07-20 | 07:27 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

LOL at all of those pictures. All of those houses or condos looked identical, probably intentional.
Del Boca Vista, Phase 3.
Old 06-07-20 | 07:29 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You could block out some of those licence plates. Just a thought. .
Never understand why people do this. Anyone in the public view can see your plate.
Old 06-07-20 | 07:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Never understand why people do this. Anyone in the public view can see your plate.
I do it just because I feel like I should, but agree it’s silly.
Old 06-07-20 | 08:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Look for yourself like I said. I'm not imagining my neighborhood, or the neighborhood I grew up in.

There's about 20 houses in my little nook and none are the same. Floorplans are all over the place. I've seen pictures of most of them inside; they're different.
Then your neighborhood was not a tract subdivision where one builder came in and built the whole subdivision on spec at one time. Some neighborhoods are like that, were people built houses on land at different times and built custom homes, but I promise you that no builder went into building a tract subdivision of spec homes and put in 20 unique models. And again, 20 is a very small subdivision, most subdivisions are much larger than that. That would financially impossible. Its the same reason why you can't buy a mass produced car with custom options, its all done in bulk, and having several models that are interspersed with different trim and elevations providing variety in exterior looks is the way builders build tract subdivisions and the way they've done it for getting close to 100 years. It streamlines the design process, architectural approvals, permit approvals, QC on the back end. They may not be as identical as what you see above, thats a styling decision and you do see it a ton in FL, but it doesn't mean the houses aren't variations on the same few models.

Most subdivision builders don't even have 20 different house models they build all over the country, let alone in one subdivision.
Old 06-07-20 | 08:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Then your neighborhood was not a tract subdivision where one builder came in and built the whole subdivision on spec at one time. Some neighborhoods are like that, were people built houses on land at different times and built custom homes, but I promise you that no builder went into building a tract subdivision of spec homes and put in 20 unique models. And again, 20 is a very small subdivision, most subdivisions are much larger than that. That would financially impossible. Its the same reason why you can't buy a mass produced car with custom options, its all done in bulk, and having several models that are interspersed with different trim and elevations providing variety in exterior looks is the way builders build tract subdivisions and the way they've done it for getting close to 100 years. It streamlines the design process, architectural approvals, permit approvals, QC on the back end. They may not be as identical as what you see above, thats a styling decision and you do see it a ton in FL, but it doesn't mean the houses aren't variations on the same few models.

Most subdivision builders don't even have 20 different house models they build all over the country, let alone in one subdivision.
There are the traditional identical looking row houses in Europe.
Then the modern day very similar looking non-identical town houses like bit photographed above.
Then the low density suburban homes.

Many people don't realize that the traditional low density suburban homes are actually modular/kit in design just like our clothes, shoes, motor vehicles and even phones.
There may be another house with the same or near same floor plan in the same street, or at least another example in the same suburb.
The modular/kit design saves heavily on engineering, manufacturing and assembly costs.
A truly custom designed house where the engineered floor plan and the frames etc are not shared - is much more expensive to produce.
Old 06-07-20 | 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Houses that are all the same in a "subdivision" I refer to as "cookie cutter." At least that's how everyone is here. There are cookie cutter houses but they're mostly very small 1 br houses. Nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't want to live where every house is the same. However south Florida has tonnnns of developments like that.
The community i took pics in actually has several completely different home layouts. Obviously they all have a 1 or 2 car garage out front with a driveway, and that's where i took the pics so they all look the same, but they're not. But they're all close together, and there's definitely loads of EACH type of home throughout the community. And you're absolutely right, TONS of communities all over florida that are very 'conforming' and done by a single builder or a developer that told several builders to build to strict codes. Near where i live there's a really high end community and i know a builder who just began building in there. They've been having a challenge dealing with the seemingly endless rules they have to comply with, but it does provide a uniformity throughout the community, but still the homes are unique. I think it looks fabulous and i'd like to move in there.

And from what I know it's virtually impossible to get a home without an HOA there.
Florida's huge and it depends where but certainly where i live it's trivial to buy some land to build a home with no HOA.

I'll never be moving there, lol. HOAs are the devil.
HOAs aren't always the devil. The community where i took the pics they obviously enforce the by laws to keep things nice, they provide maintenance to all homes unless a home owner insists on doing it themselves, and they even negotiate a deal with comcast to get a great package of internet, phone, tv. The monthyl fees aren't high and it's a super nice community, only 400 homes.

Nearer to me, The Villages is an insanely huge planned community with dozens of subdivisions in it. They have over 40,000 homes and they're nowhere near 'done'. They have very modest villa or townhome subdivisions and others all the way up to mansions. The Villages is SPECTACULARLY well run... i'd heard about it before i moved to florida and thought it wouldn't be great, but it's amazing.

It's different than what you describe here. Basically every subdivision I can think of directly near me or even all over my whole end of town is comprised of many different houses.
The community i live in has 35 homes that are all ENTIRELY different. I like to say we have slums to mansions. we do have an HOA but it's very weak which has plusses and minuses.

Kinda creepy you went around taking these photos. You could block out some of those licence plates. Just a thought. .
I thought you'd like seeing so much Toyota love.

I truly don’t know how a thread about 205hp Toyota’s went into all kinds of crazy nutty stuff in this thread.
I posted the pics showing the strong loyalty to Toyota in S. Florida... i think a LOT of toyota buyer are old.
Old 06-08-20 | 02:32 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The community i took pics in actually has several completely different home layouts. Obviously they all have a 1 or 2 car garage out front with a driveway, and that's where i took the pics so they all look the same, but they're not. But they're all close together, and there's definitely loads of EACH type of home throughout the community. And you're absolutely right, TONS of communities all over florida that are very 'conforming' and done by a single builder or a developer that told several builders to build to strict codes. Near where i live there's a really high end community and i know a
Yes, exactly. Like in the Boca neighborhood my dad lived in the houses were all very similar, ranchers with pools.

It's not like that here, generally speaking.

Then your neighborhood was not a tract subdivision where one builder came in and built the whole subdivision on spec at one time. Some neighborhoods are like that, were people built houses on land at different times and built custom homes, but I promise you that no builder went into building a tract subdivision of spec homes and put in 20 unique models. And again, 20 is a very small subdivision, most subdivisions are much larger than that. That would financially impossible. Its the same reason why you can't buy a mass produced car with custom options, its all done in bulk, and having several models that are

20 houses are in my little nook, the full neighborhood is nearly 100. Some may have similar floorplans but there are none that are identical. I know what you mean about some neighborhoods having several of the same floorplans. It's around but not especially common. In older areas I could take you to about a million split levels, though.

I'd take pictures of different houses of my street but I don't really want my neighborhood plastered on the internet for any random psycho to see on here (not us).

Here is a nice neighborhood nearby though:

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Real-...tmoreland.html
Old 06-08-20 | 09:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Del Boca Vista, Phase 3.
Good one. Are you thinking of running for president of the condo board?
Old 06-08-20 | 09:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I'm in the housing business as you know, and I promise you no builder builds a subdivision made up of custom houses, unless that neighborhood is very high end. Unless you have been in every house in your neighborhood I promise you your floorpan exists even if it looks different from the outside.

Just because a builder may make houses look different on the outside, they doesn't mean they aren't the same house. Nobody builds 70 new homes and comes up with 70 unique designs, thats not economically feasible. There are 3-4 designs with different facades and elevations.
What is the avg of homebuilders using the same design in neighborhoods? In my neighborhood that is not really high end and most around me the house designs are pretty different, ranchers, 2 stories, 3 stories, split levels, many semi custom but they look pretty different and the ones I have been in seem to have pretty different layouts. I have been to a few neighborhoods where most of the houses look pretty much the same and it does not look good. When I was growing up most housing designs were pretty different. On military bases that is the big exception, you basically get 1 or 2 exact same designs all over at most and 2 are connected, it is basically officer housing and enlisted and enlisted could be really bad depending on what base.
Old 06-08-20 | 09:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, exactly. Like in the Boca neighborhood my dad lived in the houses were all very similar, ranchers with pools.

It's not like that here, generally speaking.

20 houses are in my little nook, the full neighborhood is nearly 100. Some may have similar floorplans but there are none that are identical. I know what you mean about some neighborhoods having several of the same floorplans. It's around but not especially common. In older areas I could take you to about a million split levels, though.

I'd take pictures of different houses of my street but I don't really want my neighborhood plastered on the internet for any random psycho to see on here (not us).

Here is a nice neighborhood nearby though:

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Real-...tmoreland.html
Some nice homes in the link you included.
Old 06-08-20 | 09:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

"Nearer to me, The Villages is an insanely huge planned community with dozens of subdivisions in it. They have over 40,000 homes and they're nowhere near 'done'. They have very modest villa or townhome subdivisions and others all the way up to mansions. The Villages is SPECTACULARLY well run... i'd heard about it before i moved to florida and thought it wouldn't be great, but it's amazing."

We rented houses in The Villages a few times and I agree that it is very well run. No easy task considering the size of it. I guess the population is over 100k now and still growing. A unique place.

Quick Reply: A 205 hp 4-cylinder will be in the AWD Camry and Avalon (no mention of Lexus ES)