Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2021 Mazda 3 Will Finally Get A Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 09:35 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Had a Mazda3 as a rental car in LA a few years ago, thought it was better than average.

What is wrong with a torsion-bar suspension? A spring is a spring. I would think a bar takes up less space than a spring.
Old 06-04-20, 09:48 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Had a Mazda3 as a rental car in LA a few years ago, thought it was better than average.

What is wrong with a torsion-bar suspension? A spring is a spring. I would think a bar takes up less space than a spring.
A double-wishbone or multilink suspension allows both wheels to move independently of one another. A torsion beam ties them together. Not quite as tightly as a live axle like a pickup truck has (or like Mustangs and Camaros used to have), but they are not fully independent either.

The tradeoffs for this are greatly reduced cost and more efficient packaging, which in many cases (including this one) results in slightly more cargo space.
Old 06-04-20, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale

Just to avoid confusion, there is a difference between a torsion bar and torsion beam. What we are discussing here is a torsion beam, whichconnects the two rear wheels and forms an anchor for the rear suspension. Torsion bars are usually up front, and actually are the front suspension, not just attached to it.

^^^^ Torsion bars.

^^^Torsion beam.
Old 06-04-20, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
The addition of AWD, and now turbo, makes the new 3 hatch a competitor to some other "hot hatches" like the GTI, Elantra GT N-Line, Veloster N, Fiesta ST, etc. I think that the turbo will help, but by how much? That remains to be seen. The hot hatch niche is a small one, but the 3's interior is a nice middle ground for those looking to take a step back from their "boyracer" days without moving to a bigger crossover.

Personally, I'll be looking to at least test drive one to replace my trusty Civic. I've been really happy with my 2 year old CX-9.
Everyone who makes a sedan is down. So the turbo might hold them steady for a while. The Canadian models have unlimited km warranties. (not sure if you knew)
Old 06-04-20, 11:53 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Everyone who makes a sedan is down. So the turbo might hold them steady for a while. The Canadian models have unlimited km warranties. (not sure if you knew)
Yep, thus the turbo would help. It definitely wouldn't hurt since you can still get the 3 without the turbo engine. And yes I am familiar with the warranty (see the last line in my previous post and my location info).
Old 06-04-20, 02:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Yep, thus the turbo would help. It definitely wouldn't hurt since you can still get the 3 without the turbo engine. And yes I am familiar with the warranty (see the last line in my previous post and my location info).
Do you think this might be the end of the Mazda three? Possible partnership with another brand? Maybe Toyota
Old 06-04-20, 02:29 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why do you say that? I'm no speed-freak myself, but I still find the argument strange that a turbo option, and/or more power, will not increase is potential appeal. Ruling out a manual-transmission option may actually have more effect, although few folks today outside of die-hard enthusiasts choose a traditional three-pedal transmission anyway.
As the other poster mentioned, Mazda3 sales are below expectations. In Canada, Mazda3 AWD with the 2.5L inline 4 already sells for about $33K CAD. That is $4K more than FWD version for a passive AWD. Now, imagine dropping in a turbocharged inline 4 for at least $5k more. Turbos don't come cheap. Who's going to spend almost $40K for a non-luxury compact sedan???
Old 06-04-20, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Turbos don't come cheap. Who's going to spend almost $40K for a non-luxury compact sedan???
Plenty of folks (mostly younger males, but still a fair number of them) have been spending that, for decades, on Subaru WRXs and STIs.
Old 06-04-20, 05:41 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Plenty of folks (mostly younger males, but still a fair number of them) have been spending that, for decades, on Subaru WRXs and STIs.
Mazda3 with turbo engine and passive AWD is NO WRX, let alone STI.

Where are the "plenty of folks" for the regular Mazda3s???
​​​​​​​
Old 06-04-20, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mazda3 with turbo engine and passive AWD is NO WRX, let alone STI.
I never said it was......but that wasn't your question. You asked who was going to spend 40K for a non-luxury sedan, and I simply gave you a factual example.

Where are the "plenty of folks" for the regular Mazda3s???
Again, that wasn't what you were asking. No, the Mazda3 turbo probably will not equal the WRX's sales, partly because the WRX is so entrenched in the market. But the WRX sales themselves answer your question....who is going to buy a 40K non-upscale sedan.
Old 06-04-20, 07:36 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

I never said it was......but that wasn't your question. You asked who was going to spend 40K for a non-luxury sedan, and I simply gave you a factual example.

Again, that wasn't what you were asking. No, the Mazda3 turbo probably will not equal the WRX's sales, partly because the WRX is so entrenched in the market. But the WRX sales themselves answer your question....who is going to buy a 40K non-upscale sedan.
You're comparing a specialty niche vehicle like the WRX and STI to an overpriced economy car for the masses?

People aren't buying the regular Mazda3s. Therefore, it doesn't take a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to figure out that trying to sell a more expensive version of a slow selling car isn't going to set the sales charts on fire. Think Mitsubishi and the Lancer Evo. The Lancer Evo did not help with Mitsubishi's overall sales. And where is the Lancer Evo now? Gone from Mitsubishi's lineup?

Last edited by F1Driver; 06-04-20 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

People aren't buying the regular Mazda3s. Therefore, it doesn't take a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to figure out that trying to sell a more expensive version of a slow selling car isn't going to set the sales charts on fire.
Again, apples and oranges. It's not necessarily a matter of setting the charts on fire, but the addition of a turbo will most definitely increase its sales appeal.....particularly among younger people. To say it won't is simply hiding from reality.

The big question, of course, is exactly how much it will widen the sales appeal. That, we won't know until it actually goes on sale.
Old 06-04-20, 10:50 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Again, apples and oranges. It's not necessarily a matter of setting the charts on fire, but the addition of a turbo will most definitely increase its sales appeal.....particularly among younger people. To say it won't is simply hiding from reality.

The big question, of course, is exactly how much it will widen the sales appeal. That, we won't know until it actually goes on sale.
You can say the addition of a turbo will increase the Mazda3's appeal all you want until you're blue in the face but the fact of the matter is, people aren't buying Mazda3s like they used to.
Old 06-05-20, 06:01 AM
sm1ke
Racer

In Canada, Mazda3 AWD with the 2.5L inline 4 already sells for about $33K CAD. That is $4K more than FWD version for a passive AWD.
That $4k also includes:

18” alloy wheels (dark grey high-lustre metallic finish)
Automatic headlight levelling
Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)
Signature lighting on front and rear lights
Advanced keyless entry (proximity and ignition)
Leather-trimmed seats
10-way power-adjustable driver's seat with memory (linked to exterior mirrors)
Exterior mirrors with reverse tilt-down function
SBS-R and SBS-RC
Rear parking sensors
Navigation
ADD (HUD)
Traffic Sign Recognition
Front wiper heaters
Bose 12-speaker system
and a bunch of other small interior accent bits.

Now, imagine dropping in a turbocharged inline 4 for at least $5k more. Turbos don't come cheap. Who's going to spend almost $40K for a non-luxury compact sedan???

2020 Mazda6 GS-L with base 2.5 is $34k. That exact same model with the 2.5T is $36k. That's a $2k difference for just the turbo. Given that the 3 and 6 share the same 2.5 engine, if they were adding only the turbo to the AWD 3, it would also be $2k more.
Old 06-05-20, 06:13 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Do you think this might be the end of the Mazda three? Possible partnership with another brand? Maybe Toyota
Could be the beginning of the end.. When they debuted the Mazdaspeed3 in 2007, annual US sales went from 94k to 120k. With the current landscape, I don't think sales will increase nearly that much.

There are rumours of Mazda developing a RWD-based inline-6 platform. I could see them adding the turbo to the current 3 to keep Mazda heads interested for the next couple of years, then axe the 3 and go all in on a Mazda6 with the new platform.

Quick Reply: The 2021 Mazda 3 Will Finally Get A Turbo