Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2021 Mazda 3 Will Finally Get A Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 09:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
People aren't buying the regular Mazda3s. Therefore, it doesn't take a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to figure out that trying to sell a more expensive version of a slow selling car isn't going to set the sales charts on fire.
I don’t think any sedan goes up in the sales charts mid cycle for a long time. And there is a pandemic going on too.

Originally Posted by sm1ke

That $4k also includes:

18” alloy wheels (dark grey high-lustre metallic finish)
Automatic headlight levelling
Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)
Signature lighting on front and rear lights
Advanced keyless entry (proximity and ignition)
Leather-trimmed seats
10-way power-adjustable driver's seat with memory (linked to exterior mirrors)
Exterior mirrors with reverse tilt-down function
SBS-R and SBS-RC
Rear parking sensors
Navigation
ADD (HUD)
Traffic Sign Recognition
Front wiper heaters
Bose 12-speaker system
and a bunch of other small interior accent bits.

2020 Mazda6 GS-L with base 2.5 is $34k. That exact same model with the 2.5T is $36k. That's a $2k difference for just the turbo. Given that the 3 and 6 share the same 2.5 engine, if they were adding only the turbo to the AWD 3, it would also be $2k more.
I think the cost of the top end Mazda 3 is a lot of money. Not for a Mazda, but for a small car. I also think with Mercedes Benz is now trying to make inroads on the low end FWD segment (Mercedes has FWD too ), makes it hard to not go the MB route. A lot of the options you listed are nice luxury features.

Could be the beginning of the end.. When they debuted the Mazdaspeed3 in 2007, annual US sales went from 94k to 120k. With the current landscape, I don't think sales will increase nearly that much.

There are rumours of Mazda developing a RWD-based inline-6 platform. I could see them adding the turbo to the current 3 to keep Mazda heads interested for the next couple of years, then axe the 3 and go all in on a Mazda6 with the new platform.
I think we will see Mazda and Toyota work together on a new small car in the future. Would benefit both

Old 06-05-20, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Therefore, it doesn't take a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to figure out that trying to sell a more expensive version of a slow selling car isn't going to set the sales charts on fire.
Well, the argument is not going to be settled until we see the actual sales figures. Neither of us is predicting Camry or Accord-level sales for a Mazda3 turbo, but your view is just more negative than mine, that's all.
Old 06-05-20, 10:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think we will see Mazda and Toyota work together on a new small car in the future. Would benefit both
They've done that before, and the result was OK but not overwhelming.

The real problem with small cars today (besides the pandemic, which is cutting back on sales of almost all vehicles), is cheap gas. Some are arguing that it has become TOO cheap in the U.S., but I'm not going to take sides on that one.
Old 06-05-20, 11:59 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the cost of the top end Mazda 3 is a lot of money. Not for a Mazda, but for a small car. I also think with Mercedes Benz is now trying to make inroads on the low end FWD segment (Mercedes has FWD too ), makes it hard to not go the MB route. A lot of the options you listed are nice luxury features.
It does seem high, but I think its competitive enough to take some sales from other vehicles. Take the GTI, for example. You have to step up to the Autobahn trim at $37k to get leather, advanced keyless entry, and adaptive headlights. HUD is not offered, but you get a panoramic sunroof, Dynamic Chassis Control, and an LSD. You also have to add the Driver Assistance package for another $1750, so it's really $38750.

On the other hand, the Veloster N is $35k, but it's more of an enthusiast car so it lacks a lot of the premium/luxury features. 275hp and 260 lb-ft of torque at a curb weight of 3066 lbs, clocks 0-60 in about 5.2s. A turbo 3 would have 250hp and 310 lb-ft of torque at a curb weight of about 3400 lbs, so I don't think it would be quite as fast, but it does have premium features, the selling point of AWD and the option to fuel with regular vs. premium at the cost of less available power above 4k RPM.

A250 4matic hatch starts at $38k and will be slower than the GTI, Veloster N and 2.5T Mazda3. When you start adding packages to get certain features like AA/ACP, BSM, AEB, radar cruise with Stop & Go, advanced keyless entry, navigation, etc., you have to add on an extra $7500, putting it closer to $45k.

Based on the assumed $2k price difference (see post #29) for the turbo engine, that would put the AWD Mazda3 turbo at around $35k. I haven't driven any of these cars, but the thought of spending $4k more on a car that doesn't offer AWD and a brand that is perceived to have a lower reliability (VW), means that the GTI is already at a disadvantage for me before I can even go for a test drive. Same goes for the Veloster N - it's probably faster and it has some cool enthusiast features, but no leather, no available driver assistance, and no AWD for the same price? I'd test drive it just to be sure, but I think I'd still take the Mazda3 (especially when you factor in the unlimited KM warranty that Mazda Canada now offers). And I don't think I'd like the A250 enough to spend an extra $10k on it.

All that said, I have no idea what the pricing on a turbo'd Mazda3 AWD would be, so they could easily shoot themselves in the foot if they get too greedy. Just my opinion.
Old 06-06-20, 05:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It does seem high, but I think its competitive enough to take some sales from other vehicles. Take the GTI, for example. You have to step up to the Autobahn trim at $37k to get leather, advanced keyless entry, and adaptive headlights. HUD is not offered, but you get a panoramic sunroof, Dynamic Chassis Control, and an LSD. You also have to add the Driver Assistance package for another $1750, so it's really $38750.

On the other hand, the Veloster N is $35k, but it's more of an enthusiast car so it lacks a lot of the premium/luxury features. 275hp and 260 lb-ft of torque at a curb weight of 3066 lbs, clocks 0-60 in about 5.2s. A turbo 3 would have 250hp and 310 lb-ft of torque at a curb weight of about 3400 lbs, so I don't think it would be quite as fast, but it does have premium features, the selling point of AWD and the option to fuel with regular vs. premium at the cost of less available power above 4k RPM.

A250 4matic hatch starts at $38k and will be slower than the GTI, Veloster N and 2.5T Mazda3. When you start adding packages to get certain features like AA/ACP, BSM, AEB, radar cruise with Stop & Go, advanced keyless entry, navigation, etc., you have to add on an extra $7500, putting it closer to $45k.

Based on the assumed $2k price difference (see post #29) for the turbo engine, that would put the AWD Mazda3 turbo at around $35k. I haven't driven any of these cars, but the thought of spending $4k more on a car that doesn't offer AWD and a brand that is perceived to have a lower reliability (VW), means that the GTI is already at a disadvantage for me before I can even go for a test drive. Same goes for the Veloster N - it's probably faster and it has some cool enthusiast features, but no leather, no available driver assistance, and no AWD for the same price? I'd test drive it just to be sure, but I think I'd still take the Mazda3 (especially when you factor in the unlimited KM warranty that Mazda Canada now offers). And I don't think I'd like the A250 enough to spend an extra $10k on it.

All that said, I have no idea what the pricing on a turbo'd Mazda3 AWD would be, so they could easily shoot themselves in the foot if they get too greedy. Just my opinion.
I don’t think the Mazda product planners are gonna try to go after VW GLI and Subaru Do you know what happened to their high tech gas engines that came out to world markets a few years ago?
Old 06-06-20, 07:14 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Do you know what happened to their high tech gas engines that came out to world markets a few years ago?
The engine tech was announced in 2018 but didn't actually make it into a production car until the 2020 Mazda3 and CX-30 overseas. I haven't really been following it, but it appears to be doing fine in Europe. It appears to be doing well in Japan as well.

EDIT: The engine tech I'm referring to is Skyactiv-X

Last edited by sm1ke; 06-06-20 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-06-20, 07:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The engine tech was announced in 2018 but didn't actually make it into a production car until the 2020 Mazda3 and CX-30 overseas. I haven't really been following it, but it appears to be doing fine in Europe. It appears to be doing well in Japan as well.
I think that might be part of the problem for Mazda and their 3. They should be offering that engine in North America. Toyota has their superb 2.0 at least available for Corolla and it can be found in the UX.
Old 06-06-20, 07:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t think the Mazda product planners are gonna try to go after VW GLI and Subaru Do you know what happened to their high tech gas engines that came out to world markets a few years ago?
Are you talking about the SkyActiv technology? Mazda also introduced the Miller-cycle engines, decades ago, on their Millenia sedans.
Old 06-06-20, 08:37 AM
sm1ke
Racer

I think that might be part of the problem for Mazda and their 3. They should be offering that engine in North America. Toyota has their superb 2.0 at least available for Corolla and it can be found in the UX.
I read an article a while ago about why it hasn't come to the NA market yet, and apparently Mazda is wary about bringing the Skyactiv-X 2.0L over because they think it won't be well received here. When you compare the Sky-X 2.0L to the current Sky-G 2.5L, the Sky-X is more fuel efficient (not sure by how much) but it produces about 8hp less and has the same amount of torque. In Japan, the Mazda3 with the Sky-X 2.0L is 25-30% more expensive than the same car with the Sky-G 2.0L due to the engine tech. Mazda thinks the NA market prioritizes power over fuel efficiency, so they stuck with the more powerful Sky-G engine here.

If they do turbocharge the 3 in 2021, it will likely be the same engine that's in all 2016+ CX-9s and the upper trims of the 2019+ CX-5 and 2018+ Mazda6. Probably cheaper for them (and us) to satisfy buyers who are looking for more power. I think we'd be more likely to see Sky-X here when they release a more powerful, larger displacement version of the engine and stick it in their rumoured upcoming RWD platform.

Last edited by sm1ke; 06-06-20 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-06-20, 10:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I read an article a while ago about why it hasn't come to the NA market yet, and apparently Mazda is wary about bringing the Skyactiv-X 2.0L over because they think it won't be well received here. When you compare the Sky-X 2.0L to the current Sky-G 2.5L, the Sky-X is more fuel efficient (not sure by how much) but it produces about 8hp less and has the same amount of torque. In Japan, the Mazda3 with the Sky-X 2.0L is 25-30% more expensive than the same car with the Sky-G 2.0L due to the engine tech. Mazda thinks the NA market prioritizes power over fuel efficiency, so they stuck with the more powerful Sky-G engine here.
I think it is hard to convince someone that a new engine with less power is better than the outgoing model. It would be interesting to see the 2.0 from Mazda go head to head with the 2.0 from Toyota
Old 06-06-20, 12:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Ignore the Mazda haters. I'm glad to see a company working to make their models the best they can be, a turbo will make the Mazda 3 a totally different car.
Old 06-06-20, 12:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

As the other poster mentioned, Mazda3 sales are below expectations. In Canada, Mazda3 AWD with the 2.5L inline 4 already sells for about $33K CAD. That is $4K more than FWD version for a passive AWD. Now, imagine dropping in a turbocharged inline 4 for at least $5k more. Turbos don't come cheap. Who's going to spend almost $40K for a non-luxury compact sedan???
but $40K CDN is about $20K U.S. isn't it?
Old 06-06-20, 12:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Ignore the Mazda haters.
Who are haters? It’s is a pretty interesting discussion
Old 06-06-20, 12:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but $40K CDN is about $20K U.S. isn't it?
Its odd. The 3 in the US starts at $21.5K where the 3 in Canada starts at $18K
Old 06-06-20, 12:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Who are haters? It’s is a pretty interesting discussion
There are several people here who commonly hate on Mazda. Those people hated on Mazda in this thread as well. Mazda is a small niche automaker, they aren't equipped to nor do they plan to sell cars at the same level as Toyota, Honda, etc. Those haters always bring up sales figures in an attempt to cast Mazda vehicles as a failure whenever the topic of a Mazda model comes up. Just shows a lack of understanding about the complexities of the different company's sales goals and capacities. Mazda couldn't even make as many Mazda 3s in a year as Toyota sells Corollas if the demand was there, the definitions of sales success are entirely different.

More options are a good thing, more powertrains are a good thing. Adding a turbo to the Mazda 3 helps make what is already an affordable very desirable and enthusiast slanted car all the moreso.

Quick Reply: The 2021 Mazda 3 Will Finally Get A Turbo