Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus' New Twin-Turbo V8 Debut On Hold For Now

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 09:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
All you keep blathering about is how the Lexus engines don't match the performance of the German engines. Would you like me to quote you? You do it over and over. What's your point? If performance is all that matters, why don't you have the fastest cars again? Why aren't you driving a Porsche which is faster with better performance? So is the GS F, RC F, and LC 500 not well engineered because you don't own them? Why do you feel the need to bash Lexus engines over and over...apparently it makes you feel better somehow. Some people prefer them for the sound of the engine and long term reliability. That has nothing to do with performance. I don't go on the BMW forum telling them their engines aren't as reliable or sound as good or are only faster because of turbos and awd in some cases. I have better things to do. Being a BRZ owner should show you a car can be exciting and have other virtues besides 0-60 or hp numbers. I had a Miata, it was awesome fun! Is taking Lexus 5.0 V8 to redline exciting or flipping the tail end out because it is rwd fun? You wouldn't know. I'm sorry the reliability of Lexus twin turbo is relevant. Why do you think they were testing it in a race car? One of the reasons they gave for cancelling it was because they couldn't test it properly with the current racing environment. Nissan is also rumored to have cancelled the GTR and new Z car. Are you on their forum telling them the Z doesn't match the performance of the German cars? I'm sure they are eagerly waiting on your opinion.
Again you are Ranting for no reason. Most ppl on the forum agree that Lexus has not invested into building out F lineup or even regular engine upgrades for its regular models. This has directly impacted sales and made them lose marketshare to the Germans. In the 90-2000s, Audi was nonexistent- now it has more models than Lexus.

I have said numerous times I really like the 5.0 V8 but that doesn’t change it is completely underpowered compared to its current competition. The GSF is an OK car with awkward styling. I considered it before I got my M3 and it would actually been cheaper with the discount Lexus was offering. M3 is lighter, faster, handles much better, more fun, more raw, better seats, driving position, Idrive, Custom drive modes etc.
LC500 blew me away and Lexus and the dealers have done horrible job marketing it.
RCF I also really liked back in 2015 - i have a thread and video I posted on YouTube from Lexus event when RCF was introduced.
Here is the link and my review from that time:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...n-nj-pics.html

I never owned a Nissan and don’t ever plan on buying one so no reason for me to post there. I been a member here for many years so I continue to post on CarChat. Maybe one day i will buy another 2GS, if i had a bigger garage lol.
As for Porsche - the base motor in 911 is not better than inline 6 in my M3. I would love to replace my BRZ with 991.2 GT3 or new 718 GT4 4.0 among several other cars im considering.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-28-20 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 09:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyPara82
Let me know the next time you're in San Antonio. I'll show you one going fast.
More power to you. I love seeing fast cars driven fast.
Old 06-28-20, 10:22 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
More power to you. I love seeing fast cars driven fast.
Lol so do the police. I don't drive a "fast looking car' lol but I've had enough tickets in my life. That's just me though.
Old 06-28-20, 10:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol so do the police. I don't drive a "fast looking car' lol but I've had enough tickets in my life. That's just me though.
Gotta pay to play. I drive consistently fast and average a ticket once every 4 or 5 years. Small price to pay for me but everyone differs.
Old 06-28-20, 12:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Gotta pay to play. I drive consistently fast and average a ticket once every 4 or 5 years. Small price to pay for me but everyone differs.
I used to, believe me. So I get it. I just don't want to deal with the police, I just drive the speed limit or 5 over.

I drive an LS430 that doesn't beg you to gun it and a truck that only has good pickup at around town speeds; on the highway it's nothing to brag about lol.

That said, on the interstate I look down and don't realize how fast I'm going in the 430.
Old 06-28-20, 01:08 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Again you are Ranting for no reason. Most ppl on the forum agree that Lexus has not invested into building out F lineup or even regular engine upgrades for its regular models. This has directly impacted sales and made them lose marketshare to the Germans. In the 90-2000s, Audi was nonexistent- now it has more models than Lexus.

I have said numerous times I really like the 5.0 V8 but that doesn’t change it is completely underpowered compared to its current competition. The GSF is an OK car with awkward styling. I considered it before I got my M3 and it would actually been cheaper with the discount Lexus was offering. M3 is lighter, faster, handles much better, more fun, more raw, better seats, driving position, Idrive, Custom drive modes etc.
LC500 blew me away and Lexus and the dealers have done horrible job marketing it.
RCF I also really liked back in 2015 - i have a thread and video I posted on YouTube from Lexus event when RCF was introduced.

I never owned a Nissan and don’t ever plan on buying one so no reason for me to post there. I been a member here for many years so I continue to post on CarChat. Maybe one day i will buy another 2GS, if i had a bigger garage lol.
As for Porsche - the base motor in 911 is not better than inline 6 in my M3. I would love to replace my BRZ with 991.2 GT3 or new 718 GT4 4.0 among several other cars im considering.
Ok, I'll admit it. Your M3 is superior to all LC 500, GS F, RC F, base 911, in every conceivable way. Do you feel better now? I have better things to do. Like order a 2021 C8. Would you like me to hook you with with my Porsche Salespeople?
Old 06-28-20, 01:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I never said my M3 is superior in every way. Did you even read my post or link to thread i posted where i raved about RCF? I guess not.

My brother owns a 911 which i drive regularly and i have connections to several top Porsche sales ppl. But if you can get GT4 allocation below MSRP- please let me know...
Old 06-28-20, 01:48 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

I'll be waiting to see your GT4 photos! . Make sure you mention your M3 motor being better than a base 911...that will get you a an allocation below MSRP...LOL.
Old 06-28-20, 01:50 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

To be fair, the 5L V8 is not underpowered. It is just poor product placement, marketing and pricing by Lexus. It should never have been in an F car this day and age. It should be no more than an engine upgrade up to the GS and this could have been a base engine for the LC and new LS with a TTV8 as the upgrade option. In the case of the LC and LS, this should have been the base engine and both cars should have started in the $70k range.
Old 06-28-20, 01:57 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Some people on here appreciate a naturally aspirated high revving motor. Some people don't. Feel free to go tell 911 GT3 owners and Ferrari 458 Speciale owners their engines need turbos. LOL.

Last edited by Frog98; 06-28-20 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 02:07 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by situman
To be fair, the 5L V8 is not underpowered. It is just poor product placement, marketing and pricing by Lexus. It should never have been in an F car this day and age. It should be no more than an engine upgrade up to the GS and this could have been a base engine for the LC and new LS with a TTV8 as the upgrade option. In the case of the LC and LS, this should have been the base engine and both cars should have started in the $70k range.
Lol, feel free to suggest this in writing to Lexus. I'm sure it will be taken very seriously. I'm going to submit to Porsche, I'd like a 911 for in the 70k range also. Lets hope for the best!
Old 06-28-20, 02:10 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman
I agree with that.
They should have marketing saying this is the BEST Naturally Aspirated V8 on the market etc.

The LC500 paired with 10speed trans is truly amazing driving experience.
Just saw red LC500 in DUMBO today. Beautiful car.

But for shoppers in this segment ($100k) who are looking at HP #s and Brand prestige etc - it looses a lot of appeal. Its unfortunate but thats the truth.

RCF was very good effort although not perfect but that was back in 2014 as 2015MY model. We are now getting 2021MY and really no significant improvements are made and no hint of new RCF coming.

Old 06-28-20, 02:32 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

I agree with that.
They should have marketing saying this is the BEST Naturally Aspirated V8 on the market etc.

The LC500 paired with 10speed trans is truly amazing driving experience.
Just saw red LC500 in DUMBO today. Beautiful car.

But for shoppers in this segment ($100k) who are looking at HP #s and Brand prestige etc - it looses a lot of appeal. Its unfortunate but thats the truth.

RCF was very good effort although not perfect but that was back in 2014 as 2015MY model. We are now getting 2021MY and really no significant improvements are made and no hint of new RCF coming.
Uhhh, the M3 has less horsepower than RC F. LC has more horsepower than S 560 coupe. GS F has horsepower #'s in between AMG E 53 and AMG E 63. Without turbo's giving it much better sound and reliability.

Last edited by Frog98; 06-28-20 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Girls, girls...you're both pretty.
Old 06-28-20, 03:01 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Girls, girls...you're both pretty.
LOL, and we are friends. He called me friend. Can we get matching friendship bracelets? Seriously, there are good points and some not so good points about every car. You can't judge them on one metric alone. It's a give and take on most cars. Except the new C8, 0-60 in 2.9 seconds with no turbos or awd....holy mackerel! I want one!

Quick Reply: Lexus' New Twin-Turbo V8 Debut On Hold For Now