Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus' New Twin-Turbo V8 Debut On Hold For Now

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-20, 07:24 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
LOL, the LC 500 is great. The GS F and RC F are great. Read some reviews and watch some youtube videos. Drive them. Ask the owners what they think. How is the reliability of the competitions TTV8? Like the N63 for example.
I'm sure they are great cars, in a bubble. And I apologize, I didnt mean to rain on your cars. It is sad that more people arent buying them so I can pick one up used in a few years time.
Old 06-23-20, 07:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

As for engine power...I've been researching the BMW 7 Series. The 740 has 335 HP, according to BMW...yet does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, same as an AWD LS500 with 100 more HP. Clearly BMW understates the power in the 740 lol
Old 06-23-20, 09:18 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Isnt it the same engine that is in the 2020 Supra? Which they say is really around 400 hp?
Old 06-23-20, 10:11 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As for engine power...I've been researching the BMW 7 Series. The 740 has 335 HP, according to BMW...yet does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, same as an AWD LS500 with 100 more HP. Clearly BMW understates the power in the 740 lol
That's because the LS has almost 600 pounds of extra curb weight compared to the 740. BMW does underrate their engines, but that much of a weight difference demands some serious engine power to compensate.

I question what Lexus is doing to the LS to make it so heavy. Even the V6 G90 is over 100 pounds lighter, and it barely uses any aluminum in its architecture.
Old 06-23-20, 10:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

LOL, the LC 500 is great. The GS F and RC F are great. Read some reviews and watch some youtube videos. Drive them. Ask the owners what they think. How is the reliability of the competitions TTV8? Like the N63 for example.
They may be great but they didn't/aren't hitting the mark for sales and real interest, mostly due to price. If they had more realistic attractive prices for a Lexus I think they would have sold better but buyers clearly did not want to pay the money they were asking.
Old 06-23-20, 12:28 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
They may be great but they didn't/aren't hitting the mark for sales and real interest, mostly due to price. If they had more realistic attractive prices for a Lexus I think they would have sold better but buyers clearly did not want to pay the money they were asking.
It’s sad to me if that’s the case. People missed out then. I purchased a nearly fully loaded M550i in 2018. It was more expensive in every way than my GS F. Extended warranty, maintenance plan, all extras are more expensive. It had numb steering and was kinda boring to drive being awd. Faster sure, by a few tenths of a second I will never notice on the street. Add to that how long Lexus cars will last reliably with cheaper repair costs if you plan on keeping it. Look at the desirability of the ISF now. Really hard to find a good used one. So having purchased both now, I’m ok with the GS F price. Sometimes it costs extra to get good quality. Don’t get me wrong, I still understand the desirability of a M5, M8, or AMG E63 S. But I wouldn’t go into one planning on keeping it a long time and would understand what costs maybe involved later if I do. Just being Turbo and AWD is going to mean more maintenance alone. But doesn’t mean I still don’t desire a AMG E 63 S Wagon now
Old 06-23-20, 01:06 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Its an insult to market the GSF as an “F” car!
It should have been GS500 like the LC500 and priced around $65-68k.

M5, E63 are in another league in performance.

GSf was M550 competition and should have been marketed as GS500 from get go.

This just further undermines the F brand.....

Buyers of M, AMG cars value performance #s, bragging rights more so than long term reliability.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-23-20 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 01:14 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s sad to me if that’s the case. People missed out then. I purchased a nearly fully loaded M550i in 2018. It was more expensive in every way than my GS F. Extended warranty, maintenance plan, all extras are more expensive. It had numb steering and was kinda boring to drive being awd. Faster sure, by a few tenths of a second I will never notice on the street. Add to that how long Lexus cars will last reliably with cheaper repair costs if you plan on keeping it. Look at the desirability of the ISF now. Really hard to find a good used one. So having purchased both now, I’m ok with the GS F price. Sometimes it costs extra to get good quality. Don’t get me wrong, I still understand the desirability of a M5, M8, or AMG E63 S. But I wouldn’t go into one planning on keeping it a long time and would understand what costs maybe involved later if I do. Just being Turbo and AWD is going to mean more maintenance alone. But doesn’t mean I still don’t desire a AMG E 63 S Wagon now
You're probably in the 1% that feels that way. A new GSF is close to $90,000. That's just a ridiculous price for that car. Most people lease the Performance Germans. It seems like the new thing is to bash 0-60 or being fast as a way to excuse a cars under performance. Lets be real, 99.9% of people aren't taking their car to the track or driving like a maniac through mountain canyons to see how well the car handles. Most people are stop light or free way racing in Mexico. All the talk about how well the car handles and all that really doesn't mean much to the vast majority of people who buy these cars.
Old 06-23-20, 01:23 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Its an insult to market the GSF as an “F” car!
It should have been GS500 like the LC500 and priced around $65-68k.

M5, E63 are in another league in performance.

GSf was M550 competition and should have been marketed as GS500 from get go.

This just further undermines the F brand.....

Buyers of M, AMG cars value performance #s, bragging rights more so than long term reliability.
LOL on not being an F car. Most BMW's don't need any of the 15 levels of "M" either. Clearly M and AMG buyers value bragging rights and image more. They also cost $25,000+++ more for performance most will never use and aren't capable of using on the street.
Old 06-23-20, 01:33 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kense
You're probably in the 1% that feels that way. A new GSF is close to $90,000. That's just a ridiculous price for that car. Most people lease the Performance Germans. It seems like the new thing is to bash 0-60 or being fast as a way to excuse a cars under performance. Lets be real, 99.9% of people aren't taking their car to the track or driving like a maniac through mountain canyons to see how well the car handles. Most people are stop light or free way racing in Mexico. All the talk about how well the car handles and all that really doesn't mean much to the vast majority of people who buy these cars.
If you paid $90,000 you aren't a very good negotiator LOL. It seems like the new thing is to bash a Lexus F car because it is not awd turbo. Let's be real. that's most of the difference in 0-60. It also takes away some of the sound of the engine and playfulness of the car unless you switch to rwd which is going to decrease your 0-60. If your goal is to stop light race or freeway race in "Mexico". You are going to lose to any number of modified Mustangs, Camaros, Demons, Corvettes, Porsches. Not only that, you are very likely to wreck your car unless you have had a lot of professional training or end up arrested.

Last edited by Frog98; 06-23-20 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 02:06 PM
Kense
Instructor

If you paid $90,000 you aren't a very good negotiator LOL. It seems like the new thing is to bash a Lexus F car because it is not awd turbo. Let's be real. that's most of the difference in 0-60. It also takes away some of the sound of the engine and playfulness of the car unless you switch to rwd which is going to decrease your 0-60. If your goal is to stop light race or freeway race in "Mexico". You are going to lose to any number of modified Mustangs, Camaros, Demons, Corvettes, Porsches. Not only that, you are very likely to wreck your car unless you have had a lot of professional training or end up arrested.
Anything over 65K is too much for a GSF. A new one should have been priced there and they would have sold a ton more. Anything over 65 K IMO is too much.

You're right they do sound great and are more reliable. Turbo engines get knocked for sound but I do like them when you have a Functional Blow Off Valve and go WOT the sound of the engine spooling sounds great to me. Still nothing like the sound of a NA V8. The goal is the reality. People will challenge you all the time and if you say you've never gave a quick run to somebody revving on you at a light I wouldn't believe you. There's always something faster but the point is for the price of the GSF and what it's supposed to be (Performance Oriented) you shouldn't be getting beat by cars half their price.
Old 06-23-20, 02:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Anything over 65K is too much for a GSF. A new one should have been priced there and they would have sold a ton more. Anything over 65 K IMO is too much.

You're right they do sound great and are more reliable. Turbo engines get knocked for sound but I do like them when you have a Functional Blow Off Valve and go WOT the sound of the engine spooling sounds great to me. Still nothing like the sound of a NA V8. The goal is the reality. People will challenge you all the time and if you say you've never gave a quick run to somebody revving on you at a light I wouldn't believe you. There's always something faster but the point is for the price of the GSF and what it's supposed to be (Performance Oriented) you shouldn't be getting beat by cars half their price.
I think a 467HP car selling for $65,000 (Japan import) is a bit too good to be true, also included are 14.9" brakes and a mechanical torque vectoring diff....just seems to be a little low for the price..... Just curious, when the GS460 was still around, how much was it selling for full loaded? Does anyone know and what would the price be with inflation? I think the error for Lexus was to not call the GS-F a GS500. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-23-20 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 02:36 PM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think a 467HP car selling for $65,000 (Japan import) is a bit too good to be true. Just curious, when the GS460 was still around, how much was it selling for full loaded? Does anyone know and what would the price be with inflation? I think the error for Lexus was to not call the GS-F a GS500. Just my thoughts.
There are plenty of cars with MORE Hp you can have for 65K.

Old 06-23-20, 02:36 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

The difference for me now is, I won't buy my car solely on trying to win against that one person at a stoplight...which I'm not likely to encounter many faster cars most of the time anyway. How often will I run into a car that does 0-60 in the 3's? I'll have some self control and not engage which the knowledge I've had that before. I'll buy the car for my enjoyment. I get that through steering feel, sound, handling, braking feel. Not to mention the LC and GS F are really comfortable! And I get awesome service at my Lexus Dealership vs. my local German dealers...(although I am sure there are some great German dealers). Trying to be the fastest is a losing endeavor. I've chased it before and it isn't fulfilling. My M550i did 0-60 in 3.8...my 718 GTS did 3.6. What did it get me? Maybe it's just the wisdom that comes with age having been there done that. My neighbor has a 1969 widebody Corvette Stingray. He loves to go for a drive! Do you think he worries if some kid in a Kia Stinger is going to beat him? Do you think a owner of 458 Speciale with a naturally aspirated V8 worries because the new 488 GTB with turbo engine is faster? Or is he thrilled he has one the last high revving normally aspirated V8 Ferrari Engines. Same could be said of 911 GT3 RS vs GT2 RS. Porsche recently said those naturally aspirate engines won't be around much longer in the 911....a shame. I was excited about the new twin turbo V8 because of what it could do for Lexus Race Teams. Could they make a twin turbo V8 be as reliable as a normally aspirated V8? Not for what it would do for me on the street. I've got two of the most powerful naturally aspirated V8's made with the reliability and sound only Toyota and Yamaha can provide...enough for me.

Last edited by Frog98; 06-23-20 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 02:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

There are plenty of cars with MORE Hp you can have for 65K.
I get that. But import cars, with a V8...I am not sure how many there are....but $65K sounds cheaper than the GS460 was

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-23-20 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus' New Twin-Turbo V8 Debut On Hold For Now