Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus' New Twin-Turbo V8 Debut On Hold For Now

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-20, 02:41 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
There are plenty of cars with MORE Hp you can have for 65K.
If that's all that matters, buy a Hellcat, end of story.

Last edited by Frog98; 06-23-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 02:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
If that's all that matters, but a Hellcat, end of story.
Just looked in my library of books and mags....a 1998 GS400 according to Car & Driver listed the GS400 at $50.470 "as tested" A new GSF starts at $85K 22 years later.
Old 06-23-20, 03:08 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just looked in my library of books and mags....a 1998 GS400 according to Car & Driver listed the GS400 at $50.470 "as tested" A new GSF starts at $85K 22 years later.
I wish I could have afforded a GS 460, 430, 400 back in the days. I never even got to sit in one. I've looked and there are so very few used ones in good shape available. Jalopnik recently ran a story of the beauty of the 2nd gen GS. My neighbor had a GS and when I got the GS F, he came over to tell me how they wished they would have kept it or got another one. It's a shame they are going to be all gone. I guess I maybe one of the few that understood what the car is about judging from opinions on here. Sadly I ignored it myself until it was almost too late. If I had to keep one...the GS F or LC, I would keep the GS F. It's just so fun and useable everyday.
Old 06-23-20, 03:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I wish I could have afforded a GS 460, 430, 400 back in the days. I never even got to sit in one. I've looked and there are so very few used ones in good shape available. Jalopnik recently ran a story of the beauty of the 2nd gen GS. My neighbor had a GS and when I got the GS F, he came over to tell me how they wished they would have kept it or got another one. It's a shame they are going to be all gone. I guess I maybe one of the few that understood what the car is about judging from opinions on here. Sadly I ignored it myself until it was almost too late. If I had to keep one...the GS F or LC, I would keep the GS F. It's just so fun and useable everyday.
Good for you. Happy to love it. Interesting thing on how the GS is naturally aspirated....Just yesterday, I was listening to an interview with the chief designer of the Genesis G70, he used to work at BMW and explained how there was such a reluctance from the BMW M faithful when BMW went turbo for their M cars. It is interesting that Lexus is pretty much the last for naturally aspirated.....I think some criticism is valid for the GS, but at the same time, the GS-F has lots of positives merits as well. Personally I like the RC-F track edition, to think of what Lexus was in 1989 and now to what they created with the RC-F and the rediculous rear wing...it is interesting. LC is also a pretty amazing piece of work.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-23-20 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 03:33 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good for you. Happy to love it. Interesting thing on how the GS is naturally aspirated....I was listening to an interview with the chief designer of the Genesis G70, he used to work at BMW and explained how there was such a reluctance from the BMW M faithful when BMW went turbo for their M cars. It is interesting that Lexus is pretty much the last for naturally aspirated.....I think some criticism is valid for the GS, but at the same time, the GS-F has lots of positives merits as well. Personally I like the RC-F track edition, to think of what Lexus was in 1989 and now to what they created with the RC-F and the rediculous rear wing...it is interesting. LC is also a pretty amazing piece of work.
Even among Porsche fans there is criticism of the Turbo engine noise. Porsche listened and made the new 718 GTS, Spyder, and GT4 and naturally aspirated 6 cylinder unlike the 4 cylinder turbo I had. My 718 GTS with PDK auto transmission was faster than these new engines with manual transmission not to mention better balanced. People wanted the older driving experience back and Porsche gave in. People would like the new naturally aspirated motor in the new 992 911, but it won't fit and Porsche said development costs would be too high to rotate the engine to make it fit. I like the RC F Track Edition as well! I'd like a white one. I was told the grey flat paint requires extra work to clean it.
Old 06-23-20, 04:32 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I just bought a 98 GS400 with only 82k on the clock. When I saw it pop up, I couldn't resist. I love the Lexus V8's. It's a shame they're a thing of the past now.
Old 06-23-20, 04:44 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I just bought a 98 GS400 with only 82k on the clock. When I saw it pop up, I couldn't resist. I love the Lexus V8's. It's a shame they're a thing of the past now.
That's a nice ride! Congrats! I'd love to have an older low mileage V8 GS, SC 430 (Pebble Beach Edition), or IS F in good shape. I see SC 430's fairly often running around here ...and they still look good to me! The styling really held up and owners still seem to enjoy them.
Old 06-23-20, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The issue for me with the GSF is its too boy racerish. I don't like the look and feel of the F Cars. An M550i is not meant to compete with the GS-F, its basically just a regular 5 Series with an M Sport package and the V8. Think GS F Sport with the V8, and a GS-F think detuned M5. So it doesn't surprise me you found the M550i numb compared to your GS-F. I would buy the M550i in a heartbeat over a GS-F, much more appealing to me but we like different kinds of cars.
Old 06-23-20, 05:12 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The issue for me with the GSF is its too boy racerish. I don't like the look and feel of the F Cars. An M550i is not meant to compete with the GS-F, its basically just a regular 5 Series with an M Sport package and the V8. Think GS F Sport with the V8, and a GS-F think detuned M5. So it doesn't surprise me you found the M550i numb compared to your GS-F. I would buy the M550i in a heartbeat over a GS-F, much more appealing to me but we like different kinds of cars.
I feel a little of the opposite. The GS F vs the RC F and LC 500 looks more understated. Except for the larger vents quad exhaust, it looks like a GS to me. But more racerish than the LS I could see how you might like the way a M550i drives more. The steering would be more what you are used to. Automobile Magazine called it "bland". Car and Driver said it did not give the feedback of older BMW's and suspension is tuned for more cruising refinement. Automobile called it "Rocket Couch". I agree. Not a bad thing in cars meant to be more on the luxury side. And you are right about the GS F, an M5 without the Turbos and AWD. What the M5 use to be.
Old 06-23-20, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Understated?

No lol. To me it looks like it has a bunch of aftermarket kits and stuff on it, just doesnt appeal to me. LC500 is a different story, but then its not an F car and thats why.
Old 06-23-20, 05:26 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

The vents are larger on the front. It has the large vents on the side. Quad exhaust and a small non raising spoiler on the back end.
Old 06-23-20, 05:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just not my thing...
Old 06-23-20, 05:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Even among Porsche fans there is criticism of the Turbo engine noise. Porsche listened and made the new 718 GTS, Spyder, and GT4 and naturally aspirated 6 cylinder unlike the 4 cylinder turbo I had. My 718 GTS with PDK auto transmission was faster than these new engines with manual transmission not to mention better balanced. People wanted the older driving experience back and Porsche gave in. People would like the new naturally aspirated motor in the new 992 911, but it won't fit and Porsche said development costs would be too high to rotate the engine to make it fit. I like the RC F Track Edition as well! I'd like a white one. I was told the grey flat paint requires extra work to clean it.
Learn something new every day. Never knew Porsche offers NA. I just assumed they were all turbo.
Old 06-23-20, 06:02 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just not my thing...
That's ok. I like your LS! I wouldn't mind having one like yours, especially since you have modernized it with Carplay and a phone charger. It was a wise purchase in my eyes. For some reason lately, I like the older LS and GS interiors vs the newer ES and LS style...especially the dashboard. Maybe just me though. I'm also not a fan of cars that keep getting bigger every cycle. I thought about the new LS, but just a little large for me now. And I'd like to see how the turbo V6 engines do long term in reliability in the LS. So even if Lexus dropped a LC F with the new turbo engine, not sure I would run out and buy it vs. what I have now.
Old 06-23-20, 06:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's ok. I like your LS! I wouldn't mind having one like yours, especially since you have modernized it with Carplay and a phone charger. It was a wise purchase in my eyes. For some reason lately, I like the older LS and GS interiors vs the newer ES and LS style...especially the dashboard. Maybe just me though. I'm also not a fan of cars that keep getting bigger every cycle. I thought about the new LS, but just a little large for me now. And I'd like to see how the turbo V6 engines do long term in reliability in the LS. So even if Lexus dropped a LC F with the new turbo engine, not sure I would run out and buy it vs. what I have now.
Thanks! Yeah they are getting big, and without any payoff in space. I am still really enjoying my LS, I don't really feel much of a desire to replace it. I honestly am considering buying it out and using it for work and leasing an LC for the tax deduction.

Quick Reply: Lexus' New Twin-Turbo V8 Debut On Hold For Now