Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus' New Twin-Turbo V8 Debut On Hold For Now

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 01:17 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I just wonder what comes next? We have no idea now the LC F is rumored to be dead. I learned some things about these cars from this video.
Old 06-26-20, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Can you blame them though is the question? The F brand hasnt moved numbers, the outgoing GS was better then the last 5 and still got outsold, and then global markets only love FWD products over their RWD architecture.

Rwd seems to only work with the big three germans (including global markets), but for some reason not for Lexus, nor the other luxury challengers
Absolutely I blame them. Its all about product and having good product. Lexus has let the RWD vehicles in their lineup die on the vine, and they haven't developed ANY proper GA-L platform RWD based crossovers that would sell very well.

If the products were compelling, they would move numbers. The GS-F and RC-F were/are too expensive and too outdated, underpowered. They punted on the IS not moving it to GA-L. There is no excuse for Lexus not using the hell out of that great platform...at least build sure thing crossovers on it.

As I've said before, developing FWD based rebadged Toyotas for world markets wouldn't be a big deal if they also provided proper luxury vehicles for those of us on the other end of the spectrum...they aren't. Which is why they aren't really a luxury carmaker anymore.
Old 06-26-20, 01:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
I just wonder what comes next?
Probably nothing. My guess is that worldwide regulations are gonna make V8s completely obsolete. So when that happens, the hybrid motors that Lexus offers begin to look more attractive. I also think that the pandemic is going to seriously change buying behaviour.
Old 06-26-20, 01:49 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
I would actually say that the problem is that Lexus didn't copy the Germans - while also failing to differentiate themselves from the Germans. A lot of the AMG/M/RS vehicles are bloated hp spec monsters, but the RC-F is a bloated car that doesn't even have the horsepower to overcome it. To top it off, it didn't handle well nor did it offer a compelling driving experience, so there was no competitive advantage other than being NA and a Lexus - but those were already implicit. The GS-F was just completely uncompetitively priced (remember the F10 M5 MSRP'd at just over $90k, had way more power, and somehow managed not to be much heavier, to boot). What reason would anyone have to pick these over the plethora of AMG/M/RS options? Even all the GS-F owners I know today bought them used, because none of them were crazy enough to pay anything close to MSRP.

It leaves me sad that Lexus/TMC has been proven to be such a boring and conservative company. Nowadays no one is surprised that a TT V8 is vaporware, or that they're taking iconic historical names like Supra and just slapping them on BMW powerplants. Any steps forward from the LFA or 86 are long gone and forgotten.
Call me crazy I also didn't pay close to MSRP. I wanted the improvements that were made for 2020. There were steering and suspension improvements and the rear toe control arm bracket is now made of die-cast aluminum to reduce weight and increase rigidity. What reason did I pick it? It's my 3rd car with Lexus 5.0 V8. It's a masterpiece. Sounds great, all the power I can use, and dead reliable. I also like a car with some good air conditioning in TX. I found the turbo awd cars boring for normal street driving. I know on the M5 and E63 S you can turn off awd, but what happens to your performance advantage when you do? The only car I would consider now would be a 718 GTS 4.0, Spyder, GT4. Much better than the turbo 4 cylinder 718 GTS I had even though it was faster with better balance. And for some reason the Challenger Scat Pack Widebody appeals to me. 6.4 liter naturally aspirated traditional muscle car in retro colors.

Last edited by Frog98; 06-26-20 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 02:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Absolutely I blame them. Its all about product and having good product. Lexus has let the RWD vehicles in their lineup die on the vine, and they haven't developed ANY proper GA-L platform RWD based crossovers that would sell very well.

If the products were compelling, they would move numbers. The GS-F and RC-F were/are too expensive and too outdated, underpowered. They punted on the IS not moving it to GA-L. There is no excuse for Lexus not using the hell out of that great platform...at least build sure thing crossovers on it.

As I've said before, developing FWD based rebadged Toyotas for world markets wouldn't be a big deal if they also provided proper luxury vehicles for those of us on the other end of the spectrum...they aren't. Which is why they aren't really a luxury carmaker anymore.
Strong possibility the upcoming LQ crossover will be worth the wait, or at least a pretty legit success. I can all but guarantee they will sell like hotcakes here.

Otherwise, yes, agreed. WTF is Lexus doing? GS gone, LS no V8., new V8 probably cancelled. What happened to Lexus high end vehicles?

LC and LX are only desirable Lexus models currently on sale to me, and the LX is ancient...I'm just the small minority that doesn't care.
Old 06-26-20, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're assuming Lexus even makes this "LQ" there is no evidence that they will, and I have no faith that they will given their prior rollouts.
Old 06-26-20, 02:47 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I don't think it has much to do RWD, but that Lexus as a whole is moving downmarket with their offerings, RWD or not. Development of the GS and IS has been halted in favor of cheaper vehicles like the ES, UX, NX, and now the BX. The Germans themselves are moving downmarket with cars and SUVS like the GLA and X1, but they still continue to make crazy redundant expensive cars with little mass market appeal like the GT63 4-door. Heck, Audi technically has only a single RWD vehicle in their entire lineup (the R8). And Volvo, which is still primarily FWD with a simple Haldex AWD system is selling better than ever before with their premium offerings even at the same price point as the German trio.

I don't mind if Lexus moves to a totally FWD lineup, but what we've seen so far from their FWD lineup is that they aren't interested in making them more upscale like Audi or Volvo. The current ES had the opportunity, but it can't even be given AWD with the V6. And as Toyota gradually moves upmarket with their vehicles and prices, where does that leave Lexus as it moves further downmarket?
The RWD bit is important since, the models that are moving are typically FWD. RWD lineup is kind of not moving period (in relation to others in it class and segment). LS, LC (vehicles that are new from the ground up. Yet we see the opposite spectrum of FWD models, both new and old, some riding on improved Toyota K platforms being gobbled up by the truckload everywhere.

That last bit is what has been on mind as well, Venza interior at least from the pics looks gunning for Lexus.

I would actually say that the problem is that Lexus didn't copy the Germans - while also failing to differentiate themselves from the Germans. A lot of the AMG/M/RS vehicles are bloated hp spec monsters, but the RC-F is a bloated car that doesn't even have the horsepower to overcome it. To top it off, it didn't handle well nor did it offer a compelling driving experience, so there was no competitive advantage other than being NA and a Lexus - but those were already implicit. The GS-F was just completely uncompetitively priced (remember the F10 M5 MSRP'd at just over $90k, had way more power, and somehow managed not to be much heavier, to boot). What reason would anyone have to pick these over the plethora of AMG/M/RS options? Even all the GS-F owners I know today bought them used, because none of them were crazy enough to pay anything close to MSRP.

It leaves me sad that Lexus/TMC has been proven to be such a boring and conservative company. Nowadays no one is surprised that a TT V8 is vaporware, or that they're taking iconic historical names like Supra and just slapping them on BMW powerplants. Any steps forward from the LFA or 86 are long gone and forgotten.
The truth on what happened on the development stages is with the team involved, once those folks reach retirement or managerial positions in a decade or more maybe we`ll here more to this story. Was it budget, was it the teams intent etc? Who knows

Originally Posted by peteharvey
F and F Sport will never sell in much volume; M/AMG/S Line doesn't sell in much volume either.
V8 TT will not sell in much volume.

Traditionally, LS did outsell S Class, and LS did outsell the pants off 7 Series - for four generations over nearly 30 years.
2GS and 3GS have sold over 30k/year USA on their first full year, while IS sells over 50k on their first full year - despite the FWD-based ES Series taking sales from both IS and GS.

More recently, 4GS and particularly 5LS sales suffered relative to their peers due to President Akio's "No more boring cars" sporty niching which failed to attract Millennial buyers as originally planned.

Right now, GS is cancelled, while IS is only a major refresh, with little in the way of new engines, because Ezz & Lexus2000 will agree that ICEV's have reached a dead end.

Toyota Motor Corp is now channeling all their resources and manpower into BEV's and particularly solid state batteries to catch up to Tesla and the Europeans on BEV's - or at least let's hope so anyway, otherwise TMC is dead...

I look forward to the BEVs and stuff. I just hope they invest wisely and have strict deadlines rather then "5 year plan +/- a decade"

While enthusiasts sentiment is of course important, numbers are what theyre in for right? Luxury CUV is owned by a FWD RX, not a strong business case to change layout. The NX is a strong contender in that segment. I do agree they bowed out of the 55-60K+ segments and its sad to see them abandon folks who want more from the company that promised more sport in their vehicles. The LF-1 is the supposed rentry into that higher tier segment but thats for another day.

Old 06-26-20, 02:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You're assuming Lexus even makes this "LQ" there is no evidence that they will, and I have no faith that they will given their prior rollouts.
It's been mentioned in the mags, they're usually mostly accurate. At least I hope this LQ is coming. For the love of god.

https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/lq
Old 06-26-20, 02:49 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Strong possibility the upcoming LQ crossover will be worth the wait, or at least a pretty legit success. I can all but guarantee they will sell like hotcakes here.

Otherwise, yes, agreed. WTF is Lexus doing? GS gone, LS no V8., new V8 probably cancelled. What happened to Lexus high end vehicles?

LC and LX are only desirable Lexus models currently on sale to me, and the LX is ancient...I'm just the small minority that doesn't care.
LQ doesnt exist, apparently LF-1
Old 06-26-20, 02:55 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

LQ doesnt exist, apparently LF-1
FWIW

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-lexus-lq-suv/

That was a month ago give or take.
Old 06-26-20, 03:01 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
Call me crazy I also didn't pay close to MSRP. I wanted the improvements that were made for 2020. There were steering and suspension improvements and the rear toe control arm bracket is now made of die-cast aluminum to reduce weight and increase rigidity. What reason did I pick it? It's my 3rd car with Lexus 5.0 V8. It's a masterpiece. Sounds great, all the power I can use, and dead reliable. I also like a car with some good air conditioning in TX. I found the turbo awd cars boring for normal street driving. I know on the M5 and E63 S you can turn off awd, but what happens to your performance advantage when you do? The only car I would consider now would be a 718 GTS 4.0, Spyder, GT4. Much better than the turbo 4 cylinder 718 GTS I had even though it was faster with better balance. And for some reason the Challenger Scat Pack Widebody appeals to me. 6.4 liter naturally aspirated traditional muscle car in retro colors.
I suppose the GS-F pricepoint today makes a lot more sense than in 2016, especially if you got a good discount.

Let me know if you get the GTS 4.0 / Spyder / GT4. My dealer is holding an allocation for a manual GT4 for me but my plan is to switch to PDK when the allocations come out.
Old 06-26-20, 03:13 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
FWIW

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-lexus-lq-suv/

That was a month ago give or take.
That's not really an announcement as it is C&D's own speculation based on existing information. We haven't heard of any updates to the "LQ" (which isn't even what it's called) from Lexus themselves in years.
Old 06-26-20, 03:31 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

I suppose the GS-F pricepoint today makes a lot more sense than in 2016, especially if you got a good discount.

Let me know if you get the GTS 4.0 / Spyder / GT4. My dealer is holding an allocation for a manual GT4 for me but my plan is to switch to PDK when the allocations come out.
Very nice choice! That will be a great car and a future classic! I'm curious how much faster the PDK will make it. To me they are everything a Porsche should be...light and small...and sounds proper. I haven't decided on that yet. I loved my 718, but living in a busy area I found I like to be in something just a bit bigger for safety. Even with the GTS, the front end had such little clearance for pulling in and out of driveways and parking lots. A lift sure would have been nice . But I sure love the 718 and wouldn't mind having the 4.0 as a weekend toy.
Old 06-26-20, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

While enthusiasts sentiment is of course important, numbers are what theyre in for right? Luxury CUV is owned by a FWD RX, not a strong business case to change layout. The NX is a strong contender in that segment. I do agree they bowed out of the 55-60K+ segments and its sad to see them abandon folks who want more from the company that promised more sport in their vehicles. The LF-1 is the supposed rentry into that higher tier segment but thats for another day.
This is a luxury car company, if what they want are high selling low priced cars thats fine...they are just no longer a luxury car company.

Luxury CUV is owned by a FWD RX, not a strong business case to change layout.
Only because its so cheap compared to its competitors, basically price wise the other options for that size are say a Buick Enclave...
Old 06-28-20, 05:41 AM
SkyPara82
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've seen a ton of LC500s here in so-cal and they remind of Vette drivers. Right hand lane at 70mph. Never seen one going fast...
Let me know the next time you're in San Antonio. I'll show you one going fast.

Quick Reply: Lexus' New Twin-Turbo V8 Debut On Hold For Now