Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Carnival

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 08:56 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 780 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Moderators: I don't remember actually starting this thread. Was this a spin-off from another thread, and title-change?
Looks like a spin off of the Venza/Sienna thread
Old 08-18-20, 09:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Moderators: I don't remember actually starting this thread. Was this a spin-off from another thread, and title-change?
It was your thread, something about Design Sketches for Kia Carnival. The vehicle has debuted and no longer a sketch.
Old 08-18-20, 10:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
I have a feeling this is exactly what you would have bought/leased had it been available right now. The "SUV" look with the convenience of sliding doors.
Yep, without a doubt.
Old 08-18-20, 10:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This will likely replace our Odyssey come replacement time.
Old 08-18-20, 11:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Livestream details on this vehicle... wow.

Old 08-18-20, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
This will likely replace our Odyssey come replacement time.

While minivans are not for me (I am single, and don't need all that space and seating inside), I know, from your videos (I've watched a couple of them), that you are an auto reviewer. I'm glad to see that, unlike most reviewers in the auto press, you haven't joined that (senseless) stigma against minivans, and are at least open to having one. For larger families, they are probably the best thing since the big full-size American wagons of the 50s-70s....and those dinosaurs were a lot harder to maneuver and park at close quarters, not to mention the amount of gas that they guzzled, especially in stop-and-go driving.
Old 08-18-20, 01:05 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Still a major flaw not to offer AWD, which is what sells a lot of people on crossovers whether they need it or not.
Old 08-18-20, 01:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I think they did a great job on this!
Old 08-18-20, 03:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Wonder if these seating arrangements will make it here?!
Old 08-18-20, 04:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Looks great! Would have bought one for sure.

Originally Posted by Motorola
Still a major flaw not to offer AWD, which is what sells a lot of people on crossovers whether they need it or not.
I don't think thats the case. If it were then the best selling minivans wouldn't be the ones that only come in FWD. I think people feel they need AWD in a Crossover, but don't feel that way in a minivan. I would never buy a Crossover or SUV without AWD, but the minivan if it were available I would get it but it wouldn't be a major shopping point for me (and hasn't been in the 3 minivans I've bought).

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wonder if these seating arrangements will make it here?!
Highly doubtful.
Old 08-18-20, 05:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This is a terrific effort by KIA. Nicely styled interior and the exterior looks pretty good. The absence of AWD makes sense as they gas version will not be as fuel efficient compared to the new Sienna eAWD. If this is a new 3.5 V6, it is a major let down (like all new Hyundai/KIA engines) as it is not very competitive for a “new” to market engine. (The G80 3.5t is also 35 horses short of the Lexus 3.5t) I think the Toyota 3.5 V6 has made 295hp for years.

Anyhow, it looks like a crossover/suv to me, kinda Tahoe like in size. , The ergonomics look great.

Unfortunate we are in a pandemic as the economy will stay bad for a long timeframe which will just slow the potential for the sales volume of this model.
Old 08-18-20, 06:10 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't think thats the case. If it were then the best selling minivans wouldn't be the ones that only come in FWD. I think people feel they need AWD in a Crossover, but don't feel that way in a minivan. I would never buy a Crossover or SUV without AWD, but the minivan if it were available I would get it but it wouldn't be a major shopping point for me (and hasn't been in the 3 minivans I've bought).
That's what I was getting at. I don't believe Kia designed this to compete only with other minivans. This is obviously styled to look like a crossover and aimed at people who prefer the crossover look over that of a van. Unfortunately, it'll never be considered as a viable alternative to a crossover unless it has AWD.
Old 08-18-20, 06:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's what I was getting at. I don't believe Kia designed this to compete only with other minivans. This is obviously styled to look like a crossover and aimed at people who prefer the crossover look over that of a van. Unfortunately, it'll never be considered as a viable alternative to a crossover unless it has AWD.
They're gonna be disappointed lol. This isn't going to win over any crossover buyers, its clearly a van. As someone who would rather have a crossover, I would get this to appease my wife but I would never consider it over a crossover.
Old 08-18-20, 07:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

i agree, but i don't think it's a major impact for many minivan buyers except in really snowy/hilly areas or those who just want it.
Old 08-18-20, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, I have to admit....the Carnival does look like a crossover...a rather long-wheelbase crossover with sliding doors.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They're gonna be disappointed lol. This isn't going to win over any crossover buyers, its clearly a van.
Steve, I'm not sure I agree. Kia did a good job on the exterior styling......it's handsome enough that it just might appeal to those who formerly wouldn't been seen dead in a minivan. Inside, however, it's a little more of a mixed bag, though I can't comment on the actual materials used without sitting in it.

We'll see how sales go, but Motorola may have a point about it needing an AWD option.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-18-20 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Kia Carnival