Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Minivan Render Based on Sienna Looks Fantastic

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 08:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the alphard-based LM is pretty different... narrow and tall (and hideous ). the 'fantasy rendering' in OP is just a sienna with lexus styling and completely impractical stance. lol oh and never happening either.
The render is clearly a 7ES chopped onto a 2021 Sienna.
Old 06-24-20, 08:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I would guess the SUVs and crossovers you're comparing to were designed less than 15 years ago. The current Caravan was introduced in 2008, and the Sienna in 2010, so both were designed in the mid-2000s. That's a LONG time ago. Most SUVs would have gone through 2 or 3 generations in the same period that these have stayed stagnant.

If you were to drive something designed in the past decade, it might feel a little better.
The Caravan and Sienna were 2019 models. Surprisingly, the 2nd gen Sienna was so much better than the 3rd gen in build and construction.
Old 06-24-20, 09:11 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The Caravan and Sienna were 2019 models. Surprisingly, the 2nd gen Sienna was so much better than the 3rd gen in build and construction.
You miss the point. The current Caravan (which includes the 2019 you drove) was introduced in 2008. The current Sienna (which includes the 2019 you drove) was introduced in 2010. Both were developed in the mid-2000s

By contrast, the current Kia Sedona was introduced in 2015, and is already being replaced next year. The current Chrysler Pacifica was introduced in 2017.
Old 06-24-20, 10:48 AM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
i just don't understand america

the minivan has so much more utility than an SUV, which 99.98% of people do not take offroad.

more cargo space, lower load height, slippery-er drag. Easier to get in and out, esp with sliding doors in tight parking spots.
I think it would be cool if they could making a sliding front door that slides forward instead of swinging open.
i agree with you. i prefer to have a van over an SUV for my family for these reasons. as previously stated, people are image conscious in the US, which is why SUVs sell = active lifestyle.

sadly since the masses gravitate to crossovers/SUVs the van selections are dwindling. i do see lots of these roaming around nowadays; best of both worlds perhaps?

Old 06-25-20, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Its not just an image thing. I have had two minivans, and I just don't like them. I don't like how they look, I don't like how they feel when you sit in them, I don't like the driving position, or the dash and control layout...I just much prefer SUVs and Crossovers.

Also even with AWD you don't have much ground clearance, all in all minivans don't have any appeal to me outside of being efficient family transport.

Originally Posted by situman
Minivans, the few that I have driven (Sienna and Caravan), just arent very well made. They feel flimsy, creaky, groany, shuddery and just overall unrefined. SUVs and Crossovers just feels that sturdier and better made.
My Pacifica is very sturdy, 30k miles in and no creaks, rattles, groaning etc.
Old 06-26-20, 11:32 AM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

i rented a pacifica when i went camping with my extended family and it was a very nice vehicle. i especially loved the stow-n-go feature and wonder why other makes didn't adopt this for extra storage. the van did well on the highway and was easy to drive for long stints; no noticeable build quality issues. my only complaint really was that it needed better headlights, but i had a rental version so likely the regular consumer versions have LED/HID available.
Old 06-26-20, 11:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i rented a pacifica when i went camping with my extended family and it was a very nice vehicle. i especially loved the stow-n-go feature and wonder why other makes didn't adopt this for extra storage. the van did well on the highway and was easy to drive for long stints; no noticeable build quality issues. my only complaint really was that it needed better headlights, but i had a rental version so likely the regular consumer versions have LED/HID available.
I believe the Stow'n Go feature is patented, so that's why it isn't on other vans.

We had a Pacifica rental in Florida at Christmas time. The utility is really second to none. But the example we had suffered from some pretty serious issues. If I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left, like while pulling into a garage, it made the most loud and appalling sound, drawing lots of attention. It had some other quirks that showed some real quality issues that would prevent me from buying one. The one I had only had 400 miles on the ODO.
Old 06-26-20, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
Ours has HIDs which are fine. Really the only issue has been reliability, something is always broken on it.

Originally Posted by JDR76
If I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left, like while pulling into a garage, it made the most loud and appalling sound, drawing lots of attention.
Upper strut mounts. Very common, mine were replaced about 3 months ago. It comes back.