Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 (NA yr) Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 01:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So people who want brand image...Would rather have the Audi BMW or Mercedes
Of course, but the question is would those people buy a product they dont like as much to get that brand image?
Old 03-09-21, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Of course, but the question is would those people buy a product they dont like as much to get that brand image?
Most people will buy the lesser car if it has the better brand image. I don’t think most people will buy a car they don’t like just because of a brand-name. What makes a car better depends on the buyer IMO and what the buyer is looking for.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-09-21 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-09-21, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Most people will buy the lesser car if it has the better brand image. I don’t think most people will buy a car they don’t like just because of a brand-name. What makes a car better depends on the buyer IMO and what the buyer is looking for.
I don't disagree, but thats a shame. When it comes to the German brands, their entries into these segments are all very good and at the top of their segment. So if someone buys a 3 Series or a C Class or an A4 over an IS or G70 because of the brand, they are also getting a car thats as good or better.

Plenty of consumers will eschew brand for the right package, Lexus has proven that.
Old 03-09-21, 04:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

IWhen it comes to the German brands, their entries into these segments are all very good and at the top of their segment. So if someone buys a 3 Series or a C Class or an A4 over an IS or G70 because of the brand, they are also getting a car thats as good or better.
I agree that the German brands are better cars. There is a $6000 premium in the BMW over the Genesis. The 2 series four door FWD BMW starts at the same price as the G70. There is also a choice of two Mercedes FWD under the C class at the same price as the G70. I applaud the Germans for charging more. I think the G70 and the IS are really the competing cars. I also applaud Cadillac for their two sedans in the segments as well
Old 03-09-21, 04:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The 2 series four door FWD BMW starts at the same price as the G70. There is also a choice of two Mercedes FWD under the C class at the same price as the G70.
This is a great point, if that price point is all you can afford or want to pay, buying the 2 Series or A Class, CLA over a G70 just because of the badge is the point I'm making. Obviously people do that, but its a shame that they let their vanity override their desire to have the best car.

For instance when I had my two ES sedans, cars like the G80 didnt exist. If they did I absolutely would have bought them instead. Back in that day the only other option for a midsized sedan at that price point was something like a Buick or an Avalon.
Old 03-09-21, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

For instance when I had my two ES sedans, cars like the G80 didnt exist. If they did I absolutely would have bought them instead. Back in that day the only other option for a midsized sedan at that price point was something like a Buick or an Avalon.
Just a technicality, but Avalons, even back then, were considered full-size, not mid-size. Which perhaps is strange, considering that the ES, on the same platform, was considered mid-size. Go Figure.
Old 03-09-21, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just a technicality, but Avalons, even back then, were considered full-size, not mid-size. Which perhaps is strange, considering that the ES, on the same platform, was considered mid-size. Go Figure.
Im well aware lol. The ES at that time was on the Camry platform, and the Avalon was a stretched Camry platform.
Old 03-09-21, 05:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This is a great point, if that price point is all you can afford or want to pay, buying the 2 Series or A Class, CLA over a G70 just because of the badge is the point I'm making. Obviously people do that, but its a shame that they let their vanity override their desire to have the best car.

I guess Lexus has always sort of been in the very unique situation where they cover a specific set of buyers with their Avalon and ES. I don’t even think the EA qualifies for a true luxury car....it’s more like a premium sedan.

I don’t know if the BMW 2 or CLA Mercedes is better than the G70....but packaging and price probably are superior. Plus they are newer models. Your thoughts?
Old 03-09-21, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I guess Lexus has always sort of been in the very unique situation where they cover a specific set of buyers with their Avalon and ES. I don’t even think the EA qualifies for a true luxury car....it’s more like a premium sedan.
Its an entry level luxury sedan. The G80 is a step above and the pricing overlaps.

I don’t know if the BMW 2 or CLA Mercedes is better than the G70....but packaging and price probably are superior. Plus they are newer models. Your thoughts?
They are nowhere near the same caliber of car as a G70 lol
Old 03-09-21, 05:37 PM
jbresalier
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the German brands are better cars. There is a $6000 premium in the BMW over the Genesis.l

The real question is how much of the premium is brand and how much is a better car?
Old 03-09-21, 06:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jbresalier

The real question is how much of the premium is brand and how much is a better car?
I would say the C class and the 3 are in a totally different league. The new C class is even more
Old 03-10-21, 06:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
haha. i would have totally bought the thing if it were the new lexus IS, but a genesis?! no, thanks.
Brand snob much?

People buy brands, not just products.
There's lots of different kinds of people. you yourself buy toyotas and lexus because you like vehicles made in japan that have bulletproof time-tested designs, so it's not about brand for you really.

As a product, an RX is a better value than a GV in every conceivable way...that is the appeal to an RX...there no denying the Lexus brand is superior to Genesis as well.....the GV is probably too expensive for what it is...a GV is closer to a MB or BMW which is where it should be compared.
You keep moving the goal posts. First it's brand, now it's 'value'. I saw a new RX the other day and my reaction to the hideous side profile proportions and giant front overhang was "ewww". We all know it's reliable, comfortable, and old, popular and a good 'value' to those it appeals to.

I doubt the GV will grow in sales in second year on the market. Genesis has been out for 6 model years now, the brand probably won't make it long term.
Your wishes for genesis/kia/hyundai are well known on CL.

so back to G70. Why would anyone want a Genesis G70 over the best selling 3 series’s?
Good question - the soon to be released 2022 G70 is still the same G70 only with new exterior and some minor interior trim changes. Personally i think it looks very good, and their launch edition looks great. The 3 series is great too, and there's often decent leases on them so that makes it tough for Genesis. As to your question, i guess it comes down to looks and value. Both cars will be extremely reliable, fun to drive, at least during the warranty period. The 3 series does feel a bit spartan inside too.

Probably all true, but it's rarely that simple because the car with the better brand image even if 'lesser' usually costs more because the brand believes consumers will pay. And as you know, sometimes prices are higher to provide the perception of higher brand, an approach very popular with stuff like women's purses and perfumes and the insane markups on those products.

The G80 is better in every way than an ES. I think of the new G80 as what a new Lexus GS should have been. It's awesome.

Originally Posted by jbresalier
What is this "8.6.1"?
Old 03-10-21, 06:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so back to G70. Why would anyone want a Genesis G70 over the best selling 3 series’s?
Just because you wouldn't make that choice, doesn't mean everyone feels the same.

If the G70 had a more livable back seat, I would absolutely want a G70 over a new 3-Series when I'm ready to replace my 328. I could get the TTV6 and more features for the same price as a 330, for a car that would have all the performance and handling I would ever need on suburban roads.

The 3-Series is legendary, but not because of the current G20 generation or the prior F30 generation. "Best selling" doesn't necessarily mean "best". I'm perfectly happy with my F30 328, but hard-core enthusiasts are not. The 3-Series sells the way it does because BMW has moved away from "The Ultimate Driving Machine" to capture a more broad non-enthusiast customer base. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but old-school BMW fans will certainly have a different opinion.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-10-21 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-10-21, 06:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What is this "8.6.1"?
I was just about to ask this too....
Old 03-10-21, 07:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would say the C class and the 3 are in a totally different league. The new C class is even more
I dont agree there at all. The 3 Series has always been the sportier entry and the C Class the more luxury focused car, but as far as caliber of car they are very well matched.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The G80 is better in every way than an ES. I think of the new G80 as what a new Lexus GS should have been. It's awesome.
Absolutely. I went and sat in a few, haven't driven one. Its the real deal, really a great car. ES is a nice car too, but its not a truly premium platform and car like the G80.

Quick Reply: 2022 (NA yr) Genesis G70