Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 (NA yr) Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 10:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
A Q50 Red Sport is about the same speed. On a roll, its probably faster as the horsepower would come into play. The G70 is built much nicer than both though and looks better too The Tesla would absolutely crush the G70 in acceleration though and the tech is much better so I can see why it appeals to more people. The Infiniti...not so much.
I think 3.3tt G70 is faster than the regular Tesla 3. Same with the 400hp Q50

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-11-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-11-21, 10:16 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
A Q50 Red Sport is about the same speed. On a roll, its probably faster as the horsepower would come into play. The G70 is built much nicer than both though and looks better too The Tesla would absolutely crush the G70 in acceleration though and the tech is much better so I can see why it appeals to more people. The Infiniti...not so much.
From C&D's test results, the G70 is marginally faster than the Q50, even on a roll race. Better on the skidpad too.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...0-genesis-g70/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...0-test-review/

The Tesla outperforms everything in the segment, but davyjordi emphasized wanting good build quality and pedigree in his post about what he was looking for, and neither of those are attributes that Tesla has.
Old 03-11-21, 10:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I thing 3.3tt G70 is faster than the regular Tesla 3. Same with the 400hp Q50
The base model regular Tesla model should be compared with the super slow G70 2.0t as they are comparatively priced. A Performance Model 3 does the 60 in 3s flat. The regular AWD version does the 0-60 in 4s or 3.5s with the optional acceleration boost. A fully loaded G70 3.3T is $53.4k. A Performance model without FSD is about $55. An AWD Model 3 is only $48k or $50k with the boost option. My comparison is good.
Old 03-11-21, 10:26 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
From C&D's test results, the G70 is marginally faster than the Q50, even on a roll race. Better on the skidpad too.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...0-genesis-g70/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...0-test-review/

The Tesla outperforms everything in the segment, but davyjordi emphasized wanting good build quality and pedigree in his post about what he was looking for, and neither of those are attributes that Tesla has.
On a roll, i still think the Q50 is faster. It traps 3mph higher in the quarter which is pretty definitive. From 5-60mph, they are about equal at 5s which is more indicative of actual speed on the street. In every other aspect though, the G70 is better and I would never pick a Q50 over a G70. I'd probably pick a G70 over the BMW 330 as they are comparatively priced.

Old 03-11-21, 10:30 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
On a roll, i still think the Q50 is faster. It traps 3mph higher in the quarter which is pretty definitive. From 5-60mph, they are about equal at 5s which is more indicative of actual speed on the street.
I mean, the G70 is faster from the 30-50 and 50-70, which are the speeds that most people will drive at on a daily basis. They even run the quarter mile at the same time. Speeds at over 100+ mph mean nothing when it isn't really all that usable. Even then, the G70 has a higher top speed.
Old 03-11-21, 10:31 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

These negative comments are mostly from people who have never been in or driven one. Isn't the "pedigree" for German cars is not to own them outside of their warranty period? When has Genesis priced their product alongside the Germans?

That comment just sounded like how some iPhone users automatically put Android users in a class below them.
Old 03-11-21, 10:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
I mean, the G70 is faster from the 30-50 and 50-70, which are the speeds that most people will drive at on a daily basis. They even run the quarter mile at the same time. Speeds at over 100+ mph mean nothing when it isn't really all that usable. Even then, the G70 has a higher top speed.
I don't like the mags way of measuring 30-50 and 50-70. They are done in top gear only (overdrive gear) and measures if you wanted to pass someone in the top gear which measures nothing of actually passing speeds. That's why trap is a much better indicator of rolling speeds. The 0-100mph also favors the Q50. In the end, these cars are so closely matched, whoever mashes the pedal first will win.
Old 03-11-21, 10:53 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I mean they compare well to the 3 Series and C Class.

The bottom line is, image and what other people think of you is really important to you. Its just not to me. Maybe it was at one point in my life, but I just couldnt care less today.

I find the inclusion of Lexus into your discussion of pedigree whats interesting. if you were to be as snobbish about MB or BMW or Audi I would see your point, but not Lexus. Lexus is a newcomer, and they have flopped around building cars that don't really compete for half their life at this point. Your perception of Lexus is not based on their products at all. There is zero reason to include Lexus into the tier 1 luxury carmaker group today.

1. Genesis does not charge BMW and Audi money for their products, equipped similarly they are MUCH cheaper. For what you paid for your S4 you could have a G90 lol. Lets be real.

2. I have sat in a G70 and an S4...not saying I would choose the G70 in that segment but I would not choose the A4 or S4. They dont appeal to me at all. Of course the S4 is a class above the Genesis, but the A4 is not.

3. I actually find Genesis interiors very high quality and solid build with great materials. Equal of the germans, and certainly better than Lexus.

4. Would you not have bought a Lexus in 1994/1995 because they were "a funky brand that just popped up 4 years ago"? That was when they were building their best cars

Have you driven a G70 or any Genesis?

The prestige factor is really in your own mind. There is very little prestige to an entry level luxury car, you get into the big dog models and thats a different story. Nobody's looking at a 340 or an S4 or a C Class with longing. When I drove my LSs, very few people cared. My S Class gets a LOT more attention, and I wish it wouldnt. $70,000 is also not what it used to be, you can buy many $70,000 Fords, Chevys, Jeeps...

If I thought a Genesis was the best car I could get for the money in a specific segment, I would choose the Genesis without reservation.
clearly we have very different views, but let's be serious, you drive a top-end mercedes product and drove a top-end lexus product prior. you aren't too far off no matter how cognitively dissonant you may make your argument appear. you state that you would never buy an s4 but i would never buy an s-class and i could have purchased an s-class but the car is entirely too large and doesn't suit my needs. from the very start of this entire car journey during which we needed a second car the s4 was a contender and it wound up winning. different priorities for different folks.

i would not at all say that buying an s4 is projecting to the world that i have made it. most people do not know what the hell is being driven, particularly when it comes to audi's products where the delineation between the a4/s4/rs4 is so subtle. if my intent were to show off monetary success then i guess an amg c63 would be much more flashy, but that isn't what i'm all about and i think that's where you have it all wrong which isn't too surprising as you don't know me at all. i wanted specifically a vehicle for the experience and for the luxury - the quality, the materials, the drivetrain, the dealership experience. no one is going to experience these things but me and my SO. i also bought the car in daytona gray not bright red.

i have indeed driven the 3.3l g70 and it's an okay machine for the money but i wouldn't buy it for the price point and i honestly didn't know that i could have purchased a g90 for the money as the country in which i drove the genesis was in the european union and the car was priced super stupidly expensive there.

lexus, while not on par with mb/audi/bmw (note the very last paragraph of my rant in which it was NOT included) has earned some degree of pedigree over the past 30+ years in north america. not in europe, but certainly in north america. it is recognized as the only japanese manufacturer to have even crested the tier-one segment and while their product lineup today is terrible, it hasn't always been so. you'll note that i no longer own a lexus product and for that very reason - their lineup is terrible. it's dated, the tech is horrible, the drivetrains are decades old. toyota is doing much better than lexus but lexus has not always been relegated to the bottom of the barrel.

you've made a terrible amount of incorrect assumptions and i could easily make them about you given your vehicle choice alone, but i'm not going to because 1. i'd likely be wrong and 2. it'd be a waste of time.

as for prestige being my mind, that is the case with any luxury product. but let's be very clear here, i actively chose this segment. i could have chose a larger, more 'prestigious' vehicle. but i don't like the size of the s6 or the s8. i think i've made that very clear within the other thread during which i was actively looking for a vehicle. i wanted small, luxurious, refined. period. those were my wants and i got them.
Old 03-11-21, 11:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The base model regular Tesla model should be compared with the super slow G70 2.0t as they are comparatively priced. A Performance Model 3 does the 60 in 3s flat. The regular AWD version does the 0-60 in 4s or 3.5s with the optional acceleration boost. A fully loaded G70 3.3T is $53.4k. A Performance model without FSD is about $55. An AWD Model 3 is only $48k or $50k with the boost option. My comparison is good.
Just sounded like all Tesla's 3s were faster than all G70s
Old 03-11-21, 12:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Just sounded like all Tesla's 3s were faster than all G70s
No...the base Model 3 is pretty slow at 4.9s to 60. That 2nd motor in the Dual Motor versions really help with acceleration. The single motor versions serve the buyer just like 2L turbo version for the Genesis...for people that don't care about performance but just want a similar experience. I'd be surprised if the 3.3T volume is anywhere near the 2L turbo.
Old 03-11-21, 12:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
. I'd be surprised if the 3.3T volume is anywhere near the 2L turbo.
Why do you think the volume is not there for the 3.3?
Old 03-11-21, 12:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Why do you think the volume is not there for the 3.3?
I think it hits too close to the BMW 330 and most people go for brand. There are enthusiasts that will go for the 3.3T but enthusiasts are a small minority vs. those who want to lease a "BMW". Also, its not like the 3.3T is unique...it competes with the Q50RS, Kia Stinger, and Model 3 Performance at the same price range and if you go a little higher, you can get an excellent German car in the M340, S4, and C43 AMG.
Old 03-11-21, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
clearly we have very different views, but let's be serious, you drive a top-end mercedes product and drove a top-end lexus product prior. you aren't too far off no matter how cognitively dissonant you may make your argument appear. you state that you would never buy an s4 but i would never buy an s-class and i could have purchased an s-class but the car is entirely too large and doesn't suit my needs. from the very start of this entire car journey during which we needed a second car the s4 was a contender and it wound up winning. different priorities for different folks.
I didnt buy my S Class or my LSs because of prestige is my point. I bought them because I liked them as cars. For you it seems pretty clear that a big priority is prestige and what the car telegraphs about you to others, which is a shame IMO. Worrying about what other people think is something you gotta get away from in life.

i would not at all say that buying an s4 is projecting to the world that i have made it. most people do not know what the hell is being driven, particularly when it comes to audi's products where the delineation between the a4/s4/rs4 is so subtle. if my intent were to show off monetary success then i guess an amg c63 would be much more flashy, but that isn't what i'm all about and i think that's where you have it all wrong which isn't too surprising as you don't know me at all. i wanted specifically a vehicle for the experience and for the luxury - the quality, the materials, the drivetrain, the dealership experience. no one is going to experience these things but me and my SO. i also bought the car in daytona gray not bright red.
We're just going off of what you've posted here, because of course we don't know you. What you post makes it really clear to us that brand is one of if not the top factors for you when selecting a car.

i have indeed driven the 3.3l g70 and it's an okay machine for the money but i wouldn't buy it for the price point and i honestly didn't know that i could have purchased a g90 for the money as the country in which i drove the genesis was in the european union and the car was priced super stupidly expensive there.
So what other than a 3.3T G70 would you select for the money? The G70 starts at $36,000. A fully loaded with every option G70 Sport is $53,000. Thats $3,000 less than base M340 with zero options. You're running around denigrating Genesis for pricing the cars too high when you don't have any idea what they cost. A TTV6 Genesis G90 is $73k.

Genesis cars are way cheaper than their German competition.

i wanted small, luxurious, refined. period. those were my wants and i got them.
And largely a prestigious brand, that was all over your posts in that thread.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-11-21 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-11-21, 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

And largely a prestigious brand, that was all over your posts in that thread.
i noticed he even adds the "Prestige" trim level in his sig.

but davyjordi, it's all good... can completely understand why you don't like genesis... dealers aren't nice, although service to me is pretty irrelevant since i never had to go there with my genesis (concierge pick up / drop off with loaner left) and the car was so reliable all they did was oil changes and wheel rotations for 3 years! cars definitely don't have the prestige of bmw/mb/audi/lexus because as you say they just haven't been around very long.

the vehicles themselves though are excellent and rapidly getting better. having said that, i agree the g70 interior isn't THAT special - it was launched as the entry level genesis a few years ago and even the 2022 refresh isn't really any different except a lower profile infotainment screen that does look better.

the g80 though is SPECTACULAR - anyone getting into one of those who isn't impressed, well don't know what to say.

the g90 is now in its refresh final years about the be replaced by something i suspect will be another big step up.

gv80 has won awards and high praise from much media/reviewers. it's really great too.

the gv70 is coming here soon and to me looks like an instant hit.

genesis apparently has 3 EVs coming in the next few years.

so it will take time, between product and dealers (or sales / service experience - i personally think genesis should give up on dealers) but i think the world is slowly going to take notice.

for some, maybe for you, it will never be enough, or still not 'prestigious' enough, but the same can be said for lexus. i know bmw and mercedes owners who wouldn't be caught dead in a lexus, or an audi for that matter. those 2 brands are certainly very strong, especially in california!

you mentioned seeing a stupid price for a genesis in the EU, well there's one good reason for that, TARRIFFS. the eu stiffs any cars not made there.

i no longer have a genesis so i don't really care.

i have my lowly LC500 and my humble santa fe.
Old 03-11-21, 02:25 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

I didnt buy my S Class or my LSs because of prestige is my point. I bought them because I liked them as cars. For you it seems pretty clear that a big priority is prestige and what the car telegraphs about you to others, which is a shame IMO. Worrying about what other people think is something you gotta get away from in life.
you know what strikes me as odd about you? the lack of genuine characteristics you display which is quite fitting given what you do for a living. the congratulations that you offered curtly in the other thread seems worthless after this brief encounter that says so much about your personality than you would have ever cared to have shared. whether or not i bought an item because i wanted everyone else in my neighborhood to know that i can afford it is inconsequential to what i'd characterize as a personal attack, but one that's not personal enough because you have no idea who the hell i am or what goes on in my head than i care to deal with further.

that said, let me tell you that i think i made it quite clear that while yes, undeniably, i think that when purchasing a luxury item that the 'prestige' of the item comes into play, that the experience of the item is more important, although the two are intertwined quite heavily in the case of automobiles. whether or not i mentioned something desirable in my eyes as something prestigious has been misconstrued greatly by you as 'something that people who i don't know will command instant respect' which makes no sense in the case of an s4. you'd think that i would have purchased a pre-owned aston martin for the same amount. hell, you'd think that i would have purchased an lc500 for the same amount but i decided against it only because the thing drinks gasoline. a lot of the thought processes that go through my head weren't documented online because they didn't need to be. there was a time at which i posted that i thought this community was quite positive and accepting of members and their various stances on things to which i was told that this was not the case at all despite having not experienced it first hand. the past thread and now this one has had me experience it firsthand. if only you knew my family's background and how wealth has been distributed amongst my siblings and how i have chosen to spend it. if only. but back to the vehicle: i think i was pretty clear on the experience and if it i wasn't then, let me reiterate: i bought the s4 because i wanted a refined, high-end compact luxury sedan during which the ownership experience would be quite pleasant. that, i achieved.

Quick Reply: 2022 (NA yr) Genesis G70