Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 (NA yr) Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 02:31 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

for some, maybe for you, it will never be enough, or still not 'prestigious' enough, but the same can be said for lexus. i know bmw and mercedes owners who wouldn't be caught dead in a lexus, or an audi for that matter. those 2 brands are certainly very strong, especially in california!
oh, how well aware of this i am. and i owned a bmw for approximately half a year during which i test drove other bmws and i decided that i didn't like modern bmws. i also didn't, as mentioned, like the bloated look of mercedes' products. the point being is that if i truly were purchasing for others' perception, then i wouldn't have purchased an audi product.

as for europe, i spend approximately 40% of my time in a suburb of barcelona, catalunya, spain in the estate that belongs to my personal family and which was handed back to my grandparents (and then to my parents and then to me) by the spanish government after the fall of the franco dictatorship. life is undoubtedly better in the EU than it is in the US in every measurably way. the tariffs, for what they're worth, are a worthy price to pay for living in perhaps one of the best places on the planet.

Last edited by davyjordi; 03-11-21 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-11-21, 02:43 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not aware of any Genesis being sold in Europe other than the ancient Hyundai Genesis. Genesis as a brand hasn't even been launched yet in Europe.
Old 03-11-21, 02:53 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Motorola
I'm not aware of any Genesis being sold in Europe other than the ancient Hyundai Genesis. Genesis as a brand hasn't even been launched yet in Europe.
UK - it's being established in the UK. at least that's where i drove the vehicle in early 2020 before the world shut down.

genesis isn't available in spain nor neighboring france or portugal. as for the rest of europe? i dunno.
Old 03-11-21, 02:57 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by davyjordi
UK - it's being established in the UK. at least that's where i drove the vehicle in early 2020 before the world shut down.

genesis isn't available in spain nor neighboring france or portugal. as for the rest of europe? i dunno.
Are you sure it was the G70 and not it cousin, the Kia Stinger? The Kia Stinger has been released in the U.K. and Europe but not the G70. There are no Genesis vehicles in the U.K. other than some 50-odd models of the Hyundai Genesis from who knows when.
Old 03-11-21, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

you know what strikes me as odd about you? the lack of genuine characteristics you display which is quite fitting given what you do for a living. the congratulations that you offered curtly in the other thread seems worthless after this brief encounter that says so much about your personality than you would have ever cared to have shared. whether or not i bought an item because i wanted everyone else in my neighborhood to know that i can afford it is inconsequential to what i'd characterize as a personal attack, but one that's not personal enough because you have no idea who the hell i am or what goes on in my head than i care to deal with further.
Clearly I struck a nerve. I'm the most genuine person you will ever meet. I congratulated you on your purchase and I mean that, but that doesn't change my opinion that having brand prestige be such a driving factor when it comes to selecting something like a car is a shame. You offered this deep insight into your buying process in that thread and here, when you put something out there in a discussion like this you have to understand that its open to discussion. You're the one that brought both of these discussions around to the prestige of a brand not me.

As for my congratulations being "curt". I'm sorry I didn't heap more praise on lol.

that said, let me tell you that i think i made it quite clear that while yes, undeniably, i think that when purchasing a luxury item that the 'prestige' of the item comes into play, that the experience of the item is more important, although the two are intertwined quite heavily in the case of automobiles. whether or not i mentioned something desirable in my eyes as something prestigious has been misconstrued greatly by you as 'something that people who i don't know will command instant respect' which makes no sense in the case of an s4. you'd think that i would have purchased a pre-owned aston martin for the same amount. hell, you'd think that i would have purchased an lc500 for the same amount but i decided against it only because the thing drinks gasoline. a lot of the thought processes that go through my head weren't documented online because they didn't need to be. there was a time at which i posted that i thought this community was quite positive and accepting of members and their various stances on things to which i was told that this was not the case at all despite having not experienced it first hand. the past thread and now this one has had me experience it firsthand. if only you knew my family's background and how wealth has been distributed amongst my siblings and how i have chosen to spend it. if only. but back to the vehicle: i think i was pretty clear on the experience and if it i wasn't then, let me reiterate: i bought the s4 because i wanted a refined, high-end compact luxury sedan during which the ownership experience would be quite pleasant. that, i achieved.
You're taking this all way too personally, its not meant to be personal. I simply do not understand the focus on brand and the denigration of a company like Genesis that is working hard to churn out great products because they are a new brand. The community is very positive and accepting, but that doesn't mean everybody is going to agree with you.

You have said repeatedly that you refuse to consider any Genesis solely because of the "prestige" of the brand, I think that's really silly.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-11-21 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-11-21, 03:33 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

i have respected or rather have been indifferent to your vehicle purchases and commentary in almost all cases and i feel like you have no basis upon which to stand on whilst you criticize me. yeah, you did strike a nerve because while you claim to be the most genuine person, i claim to not have others' perception of me as the first and foremost facet by which my purchases are made. i don't believe you by any means, and i know you don't believe me but it makes no sense in this instance. i was considering a volvo s60! let's be serious, i am not about impressing the neighbors. very few people are car people and more people know bmw as a high-end manufacturer of vehicles than audi as paul pointed out, so if image were all i were after, it would have logically made sense to have just kept the x2 m35i. whether or not you believe me is inconsequential because i'm a faceless entity who you'll never know personally and likely would never cross my social circles even if we lived in the same locale.

that said, i won't buy a genesis...yet. you may continue to consider this silly, i give you permission.

end of discussion. my contributions here have finished.
Old 03-11-21, 03:44 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Are you sure it was the G70 and not it cousin, the Kia Stinger? The Kia Stinger has been released in the U.K. and Europe but not the G70. There are no Genesis vehicles in the U.K. other than some 50-odd models of the Hyundai Genesis from who knows when.
no, it was a g70 without legal plates at an event near the border of wales i think as i was with my father who was attending some event with aston martin as he has been a purchaser of their products for years and years. the g70 was odd being there, and it was some friend of a friend of friend of my father's who owned a hyundai dealership somewhere there and was preparing to open a genesis dealership and thought it would be neat to bring a vehicle no one had seen before -- and no one there had seen it before. anyhow, i drove it for about ten minutes around the area because he asked me, possibly the youngest one there, if i'd like to drive it and i couldn't say no because, well, manners and so that's how i've driven a vehicle i wouldn't otherwise have driven.

i don't know when they are slated to begin sales of genesis vehicles in the UK as i don't follow genesis news within the US, spain nor the UK. it was definitely not a stinger, however. it was for sure a g70.
Old 03-11-21, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i have respected or rather have been indifferent to your vehicle purchases and commentary in almost all cases and i feel like you have no basis upon which to stand on whilst you criticize me. yeah, you did strike a nerve because while you claim to be the most genuine person, i claim to not have others' perception of me as the first and foremost facet by which my purchases are made. i don't believe you by any means, and i know you don't believe me but it makes no sense in this instance. i was considering a volvo s60! let's be serious, i am not about impressing the neighbors. very few people are car people and more people know bmw as a high-end manufacturer of vehicles than audi as paul pointed out, so if image were all i were after, it would have logically made sense to have just kept the x2 m35i. whether or not you believe me is inconsequential because i'm a faceless entity who you'll never know personally and likely would never cross my social circles even if we lived in the same locale.

that said, i won't buy a genesis...yet. you may continue to consider this silly, i give you permission.

end of discussion. my contributions here have finished.
You think I’m attacking your car choice, I’m not. I’m disagreeing with the concept that you would refuse to consider a car simply because of its brand prestige.
Old 03-11-21, 03:57 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

no, it was a g70 without legal plates at an event near the border of wales i think as i was with my father who was attending some event with aston martin as he has been a purchaser of their products for years and years. the g70 was odd being there, and it was some friend of a friend of friend of my father's who owned a hyundai dealership somewhere there and was preparing to open a genesis dealership and thought it would be neat to bring a vehicle no one had seen before -- and no one there had seen it before. anyhow, i drove it for about ten minutes around the area because he asked me, possibly the youngest one there, if i'd like to drive it and i couldn't say no because, well, manners and so that's how i've driven a vehicle i wouldn't otherwise have driven.

i don't know when they are slated to begin sales of genesis vehicles in the UK as i don't follow genesis news within the US, spain nor the UK. it was definitely not a stinger, however. it was for sure a g70.
If that's the case then it definitely wasn't for sale, and definitely not an option for you to even consider to begin with, at least not yet in Europe.

I think if this was clearly established, we could have avoided a lot of drama.
Old 03-11-21, 04:10 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

If that's the case then it definitely wasn't for sale, and definitely not an option for you to even consider to begin with, at least not yet in Europe.

I think if this was clearly established, we could have avoided a lot of drama.
if you think whether or not the vehicle was for sale in europe is the source of the drama within this thread, you are gravely mistaken.
Old 03-11-21, 07:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

if you think whether or not the vehicle was for sale in europe is the source of the drama within this thread, you are gravely mistaken.
I would have thought Genesis has been on sale in Europe for quite some time. I can’t imagine sales are that much. But they should be in Europe.
Old 03-11-21, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Let's hope that, in Europe, we don't see a repeat of the Hyundai/Genesis turf-war between the dealerships that we saw here, in the U.S., a couple of years ago. It will potentially be much better for Genesis if its European launch goes smoothly.
Old 03-11-21, 07:14 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Let's hope that, in Europe, we don't see a repeat of the Hyundai/Genesis turf-war between the dealerships that we saw here, in the U.S., a couple of years ago. It will potentially be much better for Genesis if its European launch goes smoothly.
So long as they don't start selling Genesis at Hyundai dealers in Europe, it should go much more smoothly.
Old 03-11-21, 07:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is the presence of Hyundai strong in Europe? I think they could get off the ground in Europe with out dedicated dealers.
Old 03-11-21, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hyundai actually has a pretty strong presence in Europe

Quick Reply: 2022 (NA yr) Genesis G70