Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 (NA yr) Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 08:38 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

I like the side profile, not sure how I feel about that vent on the fender...looks tacked on. I like the rear except the exhaust tips looks huge. The front looks weird...i will reserve judgement because I think it may be the angle of that front pic making it look ...not so nice.
Old 06-25-20, 09:22 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Yes, I'm well aware of where the G70 is in its lifecycle. Just think they could have done with a milder refresh for the G70 and save the full new design language for the next gen. But it's moot since they're going whole hog on this "2 lines is us"
That would have been an unrealistic expectation after seeing them implement it first on the refresh G90, which was far more polarizing. Lexus themselves did the same extensive facelifts across their lineup with their spindle grille not long after the '15 RX.
Old 06-26-20, 07:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

This is one thing that concerns me about buying a Korean car...they change them so quickly, and dramatically that the model you have is outdated so quickly which just adds to their poor resale value. Like, I'm considering getting a Hyundai Palisade, its been out a year. Within the next 6 months I wouldn't be surprised to see a heavily reworked Palisade.

How long has the G70 been out? A year and a half? In that time Genesis has 180 changed their design aesthetic. So has Hyundai, look at the heavy redo they just did of the Santa Fe, the Palisade is now the old look and its brand new.
Old 06-26-20, 09:33 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

It's actually been out 6months after the Stinger, but the us launch botched it a bit which makes it seem like a very quick and sudden redesign. But point still stands, they update vehicles rather quickly as you see with the Santa Fe. That vehicle is VERY fresh and it's already getting updated.
Old 06-26-20, 12:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

damned if they do, damned if they don't
Old 06-26-20, 12:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 474 Likes on 313 Posts

G70 Refresh still not as attractive looking as the popular selling Hyundai Genesis/Genesis G80 Mark 1.
Sales of G70's will continue to suffer relative to its peers.
Old 06-26-20, 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
damned if they do, damned if they don't
I think they just need to have a longer term view of things. They're chasing the quick sale by changing track so quickly, while in the end they are just hurting themselves. They need to find a look and evolve vehicles along that look. Lexus did this very well early on, they came out with cars and resisted the urge to radically change them up and that built a specific look for each model
Old 06-26-20, 01:48 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think they just need to have a longer term view of things. They're chasing the quick sale by changing track so quickly, while in the end they are just hurting themselves. They need to find a look and evolve vehicles along that look. Lexus did this very well early on, they came out with cars and resisted the urge to radically change them up and that built a specific look for each model
Not sure that's what happened. Like I said before, Lexus was quick to implement their modern spindle grille design language across most of their lineup not long after the debut of the NX. ES and GS in particular got facelifted with the full spindle only 3 years after they came out in '13. G70 and G90 are the same, with both receiving the new design language exactly 3 years after they came out. G90 came out in MY 2017 and G70 in 2018, though the dealership fiasco delayed the U.S. launch by a year.

There are rumors now that the new G70 might not even get the new Smartstream 2.5/3.5 turbo engines, so the refresh may more or less be the same as what Lexus did to the GS. Personally, the mechanical changes are more important to me than the pure cosmetic ones, so I hope those rumors are false.
Old 06-26-20, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Not sure that's what happened. Like I said before, Lexus was quick to implement their modern spindle grille design language across most of their lineup not long after the debut of the NX. ES and GS in particular got facelifted with the full spindle only 3 years after they came out in '13. G70 and G90 are the same, with both receiving the new design language exactly 3 years after they came out.
But Lexus wasn't brand new at that time. This is more than just refreshing a half spindle with a full spindle, this is a total design look change. Lexus adopted into the spindle grille quite gradually.
Old 06-26-20, 02:00 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

But Lexus wasn't brand new at that time. This is more than just refreshing a half spindle with a full spindle, this is a total design look change. Lexus adopted into the spindle grille quite gradually.
If it was a gradual change, you wouldn't be seeing so many people complain about it appearing tacked on...

The shift from the current Genesis design language is also based on the existing designs with the diamond motif. The grille shape has become larger and more triangular, and there are now those dual head/tail lights. That's about it. Anyone can see the new Genesis vehicles and recognize them as an evolution of the old ones.

Old 06-26-20, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If it was a gradual change, you wouldn't be seeing so many people complain about it appearing tacked on...
People are always going to complain about the spindle grille here. We have a ton of people who are no longer Lexus owners or who own older cars and consistently complain about it here in Car Chat. If you go into the model specific forums, people aren't complaining about the grilles on their own cars.

And again, Lexus wasn't new. They had been around for 22 years before the first spindle car came out, Genesis is still trying to establish a basis for acquiring a clientele.

The shift from the current Genesis design language is also based on the existing designs with the diamond motif. The grille shape has become larger and more triangular, and there are now those dual head/tail lights. That's about it. Anyone can see the new Genesis vehicles and recognize them as an evolution of the old ones.
The net result is a pretty huge change. If I had a G70 I wouldn't be pleased. Like I said, its something that I think about when considering a Hyundai/Genesis.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-26-20 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 02:29 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

People are always going to complain about the spindle grille here. We have a ton of people who are no longer Lexus owners or who own older cars and consistently complain about it here in Car Chat. If you go into the model specific forums, people aren't complaining about the grilles on their own cars.
And how is this dynamic different from Genesis, BMW, or any other manufacturer on any other car forum? Those who actually buy the cars aren't the ones complaining because they've actually put their money on it.

The net result is a pretty huge change. If I had a G70 I wouldn't be pleased. Like I said, its something that I think about when considering a Hyundai/Genesis.
Why not? Some people will like the refreshed grille, and others won't. Those who like it will buy it. Again, it's the exact same dynamic we've seen from any discussion about the Lexus spindle grille or BMW's ever-growing nostrils. I can imagine some current G70 owners might be mad if Genesis swapped out the old engines to the new Smartstream ones, but that has nothing to do with the design language. Even with the facelift and potential updated powetrains, the G70 is still fundamentally the same car as before with minor tweaks. This isn't an LS 460 to LS 500 situation where the entire character of the car is changed.
Old 06-26-20, 02:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why not? Some people will like the refreshed grille, and others won't. Those who like it will buy it.
You're missing my point. I wouldn't be happy because the car I just bought now looks really outdated compared to the current car. That hurts resale values and keeps the brand from having a cohisive lineage. Thats the mistake Hyundai is making by changing these designs so dramatically so quickly.

If you look at other luxury carmakers, in general they don't make dramatic changes that quickly, even mainstream carmakers don't.
Old 06-26-20, 02:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The pressure is on Hyundai Group especially the Genesis brand because they are still trying to carve out a piece of the market share with all the other established automakers. If they were to hit a few homeruns, I can see them taking longer between refreshes and redesigns. Its not easy when they are up against badges that sell themselves, and they just want to be Judged for their vehicles and not where they come from. As it stands they are being proactive so I won't fault them for that
Old 06-26-20, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think ultimately its self defeating for them

Quick Reply: 2022 (NA yr) Genesis G70