Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 (NA yr) Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 11:41 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Don't worry about individual subjective opinions.
Look at the facts.
In its first full year, 2014 Hyundai Genesis sold over 30k/year USA relative to its peers.
Even on its 6th year last year, the G80 continued to outsell the GS many times over.
We've been over this. It's true that the G80 did outsell the GS, but that says more about Lexus's neglect for it. Here are the "facts"- in 2018 and 2019, only 7K G80's were sold each year. In 2019 alone, with further declining sedan sales, 40K E-Classes and 39K 5-Series were sold. Even the once meager Audi A6 sold 17K units. The moment Genesis had the dealership fiasco, their sales dropped dramatically across the board, for every vehicle. That same fiasco is what delayed the G70 and took the wind out of its launch.

The success of Genesis in the States depends on how much they are willing to patch up their dealer network more than anything else. It has -nothing- to do with what you presume is a good exterior design, as you've repeated in many other threads.

Some people are better at judging than others.
Sales are facts.
Sales are not subjective opinions.
Your subjective opinions on exterior design do not equate to sales, and I'm not interested in comparing egos.

Last edited by Motorola; 06-27-20 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-27-20, 11:54 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 474 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
We've been over this. It's true that the G80 did outsell the GS, but that says more about Lexus's neglect for it. Here are the "facts"- in 2018 and 2019, only 7K G80's were sold each year. In 2019 alone, with further declining sedan sales, 40K E-Classes and 39K 5-Series were sold. Even the once meager Audi A6 sold 17K units. The moment Genesis had the dealership fiasco, their sales dropped dramatically across the board, for every vehicle. That same fiasco is what delayed the G70 and took the wind out of its launch.
The 3.5 year midlife refresh for IS wasn't any more major than the 3.5 year midlife refresh for GS.
More importantly, the Hyundai Genesis/Genesis G80 Mk 1 outsold the GS from the outset.
Meanwhile the the G70 has undersold the ageing IS from the outset.
These are facts.

That those sales figures are caused by styling or lack of dealerships are only opinions, hence not of much importance.
The manufacturers will have access to post-sales surveys, and they will more accurately know what actually affected the sales figures.

Your taste in exterior design equate to sales, and I'm not interested in comparing egos.
Your prediction for consumer response is your prediction for consumer response.
You're a very smart person Motorola.
I guess even you know that G70 Refresh is in trouble relative to the very long in the tooth IS Refresh, and IS Refresh is powered by a line of ageing engines.

How good are you at judging motor vehicles?
Make a prediction now on G70 Refresh vs IS Refresh.
In 18 months time come January 2022, the results will be released.
These sales results are pure facts; not opinions.

If you ask me to make a sales "prediction" on IS Refresh, or even Model 3 or Model S, I would say to all three.
Sure the IS has old engines, and sure Tesla's build quality and interiors need improvement.
However, this Genesis G70 and G70 Refresh needs to be a lot better; it is not the dealerships, nor the marketing, but the product needs to be a lot better.
It's like a Jaguar XE or Jaguar XF; XE and XF are not going anywhere - it is neither the dealerships, nor the marketing. It is the product itself!
In the first 3 months of 2020 before COVID-19 struck, 7 year old IS has sold 2,712, while new G70 only sold 2,074.
If an all new Genesis G70 can't take out a long in the tooth IS, then you know something is wrong.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-27-20 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-27-20, 12:27 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The 3.5 year midlife refresh for IS wasn't any more major than the 3.5 year midlife refresh for GS.
More importantly, the Hyundai Genesis/Genesis G80 Mk 1 outsold the GS from the outset.
Meanwhile the the G70 has undersold the ageing IS from the outset.
These are facts
The "facts" are that the Hyundai Genesis was sold from an established Hyundai dealership network while the G70, G80, and G90 were not (from 2018 onward), and all Genesis products had unimpressive sales figures the moment they moved dealership networks.

That those sales figures are caused by styling or lack of dealerships are only opinions, hence not of much importance.
Product not being available to buy absolutely has everything to do with sales, much more than subjective opinions on exterior designs.
The manufacturers will have access to post-sales surveys, and they will more accurately know what actually affected the sales figures.
And are you a manufacturer?

I guess even you know that G70 Refresh is in trouble relative to the very long in the tooth IS Refresh, and IS Refresh is powered by a line of ageing engines.
Based on what?

How good are you at judging motor vehicles?
These sales results are pure facts; not opinions.
Again, not interested in comparing egos.

It's like a Jaguar XE or Jaguar XF; XE and XF are not going anywhere - it is neither the dealerships, nor the marketing. It is the product itself!
Except that Jaguar has an established badge, with an established dealership network, and has never been a volume seller since their Tata days. What does any of that have to do with Genesis?

However, this Genesis G70 and G70 Refresh needs to be a lot better; it is not the dealerships, nor the marketing, but the product needs to be a lot better.
Again, based on what?

It's amazing how you managed to type so much without addressing a single thing I've written while simultaneously validating everything I've said about your flawed analysis.

If you feel like you already know the outcome of a car based on two crappy leaked photos of its front and rear, who am I to argue with such sound logic? I realize this is a futile exercise not worth arguing.

Last edited by Motorola; 06-27-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-27-20, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the changes they're making now are to ESTABLISH a common look not change for the sake of change. there won't be an 'entirely new look for Genesis' in 2 years. It will be 2 years before they even finish the current roll out including the gv70.
I hope that is indeed the case...
Old 06-27-20, 01:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 474 Likes on 313 Posts

The "facts" are that the Hyundai Genesis was sold from an established Hyundai dealership network while the G70, G80, and G90 were not (from 2018 onward), and all Genesis products had unimpressive sales figures the moment they moved dealership networks.

Product not being available to buy absolutely has everything to do with sales, much more than subjective opinions on exterior designs.
And are you a manufacturer?

Based on what?

Again, not interested in comparing egos.

Except that Jaguar has an established badge, with an established dealership network, and has never been a volume seller since their Tata days. What does any of that have to do with Genesis?

Again, based on what?

It's amazing how you managed to type so much without addressing a single thing I've written while simultaneously validating everything I've said about your flawed analysis.

If you feel like you already know the outcome of a car based on two crappy leaked photos of its front and rear, who am I to argue with such sound logic? I realize this is a futile exercise not worth arguing.
Make a simple educated guess.
Do you think G70 Refresh will outsell the ageing IS Refresh with a stale line of engines in 2021?

Make an educated guess now to see how good a judge you are.
Results will be released in January 2022.
Old 07-27-20, 09:29 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Hope this isn't a repost somewhere on this forum - but I got excited when I read the G70 may have (in 2022) a wagon variant!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...aak?li=BBnb4R5
Old 07-27-20, 09:55 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I hope they do bring the wagon here. They brought the manual here despite knowing there was no chance in hell that would sell. A wagon may have a slightly better business case but still sell poorly. I say do it. Haha
Old 07-27-20, 12:40 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wandl
Hope this isn't a repost somewhere on this forum - but I got excited when I read the G70 may have (in 2022) a wagon variant!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...aak?li=BBnb4R5
Going from the silhouette with the fake boxes tacked on it's more like a sportback or shooting brake than a wagon. It seems Genesis is aiming their sites directly at the A5 and 4-Series Gran Coupe. It'll probably look good, but sportbacks don't sell nearly as well as wagons in Europe, so I'm not sure what the point is other than a styling flex. Maybe they feel confident that the GV70 would be more popular than any wagon variant of the G70.

If it is indeed a sportback, that would also mean that it treads right on the Stinger's territory, which would be pretty awkward. Maybe the Stinger will be phased out in Europe in favor of this G70 sportback? Then again, the Kia K900 exists alongside its Genesis G90 twin, so it wouldn't be a first for Hyundai.
Old 09-08-20, 05:50 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

It's here, and thankfully much better than that horrendous factory leak.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-g70-revealed/

Old 09-08-20, 05:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Wow. Looks nice. I think this looks way better than the Acura TLX coming out.
Old 09-08-20, 06:36 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's "much" better because it's an actual staged and edited set of photos. But it's very much the same car with the same design cues as the leak.
Old 09-08-20, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Looks much better in these pictures
Old 09-08-20, 06:49 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's "much" better because it's an actual staged and edited set of photos. But it's very much the same car with the same design cues as the leak.
It's not so much the editing as it is the perspective. The angles from the factory leak were a lot more bloated and bulbous than what we're seeing here.
Old 09-08-20, 06:58 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Finally a genesis whose corporate face looks stunning. The proportions finally fit. IF they can get this same look on the other family members home run inside and out.
Old 09-08-20, 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
IF they can get this same look on the other family members home run inside and out.
They already have on the G90, the new G80, and the new GV80, and also the coming GV70.

Quick Reply: 2022 (NA yr) Genesis G70