Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 VW Arteon

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 08:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2021 VW Arteon

Volkswagen updated the Arteon, its halo model in the United States, with a sharper-looking front end and a significantly improved interior packed with more tech. It also expanded the range with a wagon named Shooting Brake, though it quickly confirmed the long-roof model was not developed with the American market in mind.

Although the Arteon is not a high-volume car, Volkswagen stressed it's an important part of its range. It acknowledged crossovers rule the market, and it's planning on adding more high-riding models to its portfolio, but it remains fully committed to sedans. And, with the Touareg out of the picture here, the Arteon is its flagship.

"We've made it well clear, contrary to potentially some of our competitors, that we still want to be very well vested in the sedan segment," said Hein Schafer, Volkswagen's senior vice president of product marketing and strategy, in a call with Autoblog. He added it complements the driver-friendly Jetta GLI and Golf GTI well.

Designers took the Arteon's front end in a sportier direction without making it less elegant or overly aggressive. It receives a grille with fewer horizontal slats and reshaped air intakes connected by a strip of bright trim, while variants equipped with the R-Line package (shown in our gallery) get an LED light strip that connects the headlights and underlines the Volkswagen logo. New 18- and 20-inch alloy wheel designs and three additions to the color palette called Oryx White, Kings Red Metallic, and Lapiz Blue, respectively, round out the list of exterior updates, though eagle-eyed car-spotters will also notice stylists changed the Arteon lettering's font on the hatch.

We labeled the Arteon's interior "conservative to a fault" the last time we drove one, and Volkswagen has seemingly addressed this shortcoming. The driver now faces a redesigned steering wheel with touch-sensitive controls on the horizontal spokes, and every model regardless of trim level comes standard with a digital instrument cluster called Digital Cockpit in Volkswagen-speak. Look right, and you'll spot an 8.0-inch touchscreen that displays the MIB3 infotainment system, which is compatible with wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, plus a more premium-looking climate control panel with touch-sensitive sliders instead of buttons.

Wireless charging is available, the air vents receive a sleeker look, the analog clock is gone, and we're told the cabin benefits from much-improved materials. Space for people and gear is one of the Arteon's strong points, and that hasn't changed. It offers 27 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats, and 55 cubes with the rear seats folded flat. The storage area stretches up to 82.4 inches long, so it's more practical than its proportions suggest.

There are no major mechanical modifications to report. Power still comes from a turbocharged, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine rated at 268 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Front-wheel drive and an automatic transmission come standard, and 4Motion all-wheel drive is offered as an option on some trim levels. European markets will receive a 215-horsepower plug-in hybrid option, but there's no indication it will be made available here. And, the 315-horse R-badged model hasn't received permission to cross the pond, either.

Volkswagen's updated 2021 Arteon will go on sale across the United States in November. Its trim level hierarchy has been simplified, and buyers will have three models named SE, SEL R-Line, and SEL Premium R-Line, respectively, to choose from. The last two come standard with the R-Line package, and they can be configured with 4Motion at an extra cost. Pricing information hasn't been announced yet, but the updated Arteon is not expected to cost significantly more than the 2020 model, which starts at $37,015 and maxes out at $48,715 before options enter the equation. Both figures included a mandatory $1,020 destination charge.
Source
Old 06-24-20, 10:28 AM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

cyclops DRLs! reminds me of the new camaros but more elegant.

love the profile, very spotback, audi a7 vibe, like most in its class.
Old 06-24-20, 10:50 AM
Hoovey689

I do like this car, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one on the road
Old 06-24-20, 12:14 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I do like this car, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one on the road
Same here. I think it looks nice, but I also didn't know it existed before today.
Old 06-24-20, 12:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

They look good in real life. I was doing about 85mph in the left lane (that was the flow of traffic where I live) and one blew past me like I was standing still. He must have been doing 120mph+ so at least we know they go that fast It does kinda look like an Audi so its like a poor man's S5.

Last edited by EZZ; 06-24-20 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 12:36 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I have seen only 1. They look great, but my goodness it gets expensive as you pack on the options. Probably would be over 60k if it got the stronger engine which we don't get here.

Update here is great! Much better front end!
Old 06-24-20, 12:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Motorweek has an Arteon in their long term test fleet. I saw an update last night and it was generally favorable. They said the tester is being driven a lot which is a positive sign.
Old 06-24-20, 02:21 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
They look good in real life. I was doing about 85mph in the left lane (that was the flow of traffic where I live) and one blew past me like I was standing still. He must have been doing 120mph+ so at least we know they go that fast It does kinda look like an Audi so its like a poor man's S5.
in my experience most VWs are designed for the autobahn. small little golf GTIs are pretty stable at those speeds too.
Old 06-24-20, 04:12 PM
Hoovey689

Default Volkswagen announces 315-hp Arteon R for the rest of the world except U.S.

Volkswagen quietly introduced a high-performance, R-badged variant of the Arteon developed for global markets. It will not be sold in the United States, a spokesperson told Autoblog, so we'll need to admire it from afar.

Engineers considered putting a six-cylinder engine into the R, according to Top Gear, but they ultimately chose a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbocharged to 315 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque. Closely related to the Golf R's engine, the turbo four spins the four wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. It reduces the Arteon's 0-60-mph time to approximately five seconds, and it unlocks a top speed that's electronically capped at 155 mph. For context, our Arteon is exclusively available with a 268-horsepower turbo four.
Source
Old 06-24-20, 04:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Car looks great except for the 90s shifter inside.
Old 06-24-20, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
except for the 90s shifter inside.
IMO, that's one of the best features still on it. Sure beats those idiotic push/pull-buttons and those quirky E-shifters.
Old 06-24-20, 05:48 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealers are practically giving these things away. If you want a posh VW Sportback, just get a used Audi A5...
Old 06-24-20, 06:20 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
Dealers are practically giving these things away. If you want a posh VW Sportback, just get a used Audi A5...
A5 is way more cramped. Arteon is somewhere between an A5 and A7 in size, and cheaper than both.

I think the Arteon is just one of those cars that makes more sense in Europe (along with the Opel Insignia/Buick Regal) than it does here in the States.
Old 06-24-20, 06:42 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Never seen one in person, but I think it’s nice ...
Old 06-24-20, 06:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

The station wagon is even better

Quick Reply: 2021 VW Arteon