Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove S560, 740i & LS500 back to back to back on the same test loop

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-20, 08:47 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not surprising. Some BMW controls and systems are known for their complexity.
True, but nowdays you can simply ask the car "Hey BMW [Insert car status question]" and it will pull it up for you. Mercedes has a similar system (not sure on Audi).

Old 07-04-20, 08:49 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Great review as always from you. I like how you compared all three and gave an unbiased assessment even as a Lexus owner. My father in law has the S450 and it's an excellent car. As for the Idrive 7, it is very simple to use despite what some people say here. Next time just say " hey BMW, show me tire pressures display". Chances are the tires were overinflated which happens a-lot with BMW cars on the lot. Idrive 7 is easy to use and the virtual assistant is very intuitive and even understands my heavy foreign accent lol.

ps. just saw two posters above me saying the same thing lol regarding idrive 7. what's hard to use is the system in my spouse's RX350.

Last edited by EXE46; 07-04-20 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-04-20, 08:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Great review as always from you. I like how you compared all three and gave an unbiased assessment even as a Lexus owner. My father in law has the S450 and it's an excellent car. As for the Idrive 7, it is very simple to use despite what some people say here. Next time just say " hey BMW, show me tire pressures display". Chances are the tires were overinflated which happens a-lot with BMW cars on the lot. Idrive 7 is easy to use and the virtual assistant is very intuitive and even understands my heavy foreign accent lol.
Thanks!

I never even thought about using the "hey BMW" lol
Old 07-04-20, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Chances are the tires were overinflated which happens a-lot with BMW cars on the lot.
Trust me...that's not just a problem with BMWs. I look at a lot of new vehicles, and it is chronic with many of them, from many different manufacturers, across the board. In fact, more often than not, tire PSIs on random new vehicles, in stock, are in the 40-50 PSI range. I often have to bleed 8-10 PSI out of them before I can get even close to a reasonable test-drive.

I don't know all of the reasons for doing that at the factory before shipment, but two reasons, as I understand it, are, First, to guard against excessive air-leakage during transit if there is any kind of tire or sealing-problem that was not caught at the factory, and, Two, to keep the tires stiff and and round enough as the transporter truck / train/ ship sways or hits bumps, to keep an overly- soft tire from allowing the wheel-rim to hit the truck or trained and be damaged....particularly with today's low tire-profiles. At the dealership, the PDI people are supposed to adjust the tire pressures close to recommended after the vehicles are unloaded, but, more often than not, they simply fail to do so. But, Hey.....what do you expect for minimum wage, or close to it LOL?
Old 07-04-20, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

great reviews...

first world problems...

i know it might be more 'plebian' but i'd love you to go drive a 2020 G90 to compare to what you just did. sure, no air suspension, but would like to read your comments anyway, especially noise level as it now has the noise cancellation.

Old 07-04-20, 10:00 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They had an 840 GC in the showroom I sat in, I will take one for a spin. Beautiful, but too small for me inside.
Looking forward to your thoughts. I'll bet the new LS feels like a limo inside compared to the GC. If Lexus had marketed it as a direct competitor to that, imagine how much more positive reviewers would be about its "abundance of interior space for the class".

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i know it might be more 'plebian' but i'd love you to go drive a 2020 G90 to compare to what you just did. sure, no air suspension, but would like to read your comments anyway, especially noise level as it now has the noise cancellation.
I don't believe the refresh G90 has the active sound cancellation from the GV80, if that's what you're referring to. The new G80 doesn't have it either.
Old 07-04-20, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
I don't believe the refresh G90 has the active sound cancellation from the GV80, if that's what you're referring to. The new G80 doesn't have it either.
i think you're right it doesn't have their new "RANC" (terrible acronym lol), but it does have noise cancellation, which my ('18) doesn't. i'm also suspecting the RANC in the GV80 was done more so they could save WEIGHT by using less sound deadening materials, so may not be that impressive in terms of quietness.
Old 07-04-20, 10:10 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

i'm also suspecting the RANC in the GV80 was done more so they could save WEIGHT by using less sound deadening materials, so may not be that impressive in terms of quietness.
Not to get too off-topic, but RANC is only available in the highest trim GV80 I believe, so the car is still going to be full of sound deadening even in lower trims. The question is whether RANC will really make a difference in daily driving- even the commercials demonstrate it being used for noisy offroading.
Old 07-04-20, 10:22 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Thanks!

I never even thought about using the "hey BMW" lol
I’m not one to use voice commands but the “hey BMW” is really good and I use it more than I thought I would. With Lexus you have to use more specific commands to get it to work well.
Old 07-04-20, 11:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I definitely will! No Genesis dealers around there or I would have.

Originally Posted by Motorola
Looking forward to your thoughts. I'll bet the new LS feels like a limo inside compared to the GC. If Lexus had marketed it as a direct competitor to that, imagine how much more positive reviewers would be about its "abundance of interior space for the class".
True, its all about perspective lol
Old 07-04-20, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I definitely will! No Genesis dealers around there or I would have.
Chantilly Genesis currently has one 2020 G90 in stock....a 3.3 V6 AWD....same at Genesis of Rockville. But I assume you guys want to sample the V8.

(I see that the Rockville Genesis is part of the Fitz way now. Although there are some exceptions, I always liked most of that chain of dealerships, their staffs, and the way they do business).

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-04-20 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-04-20, 12:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not a fan at all of Fitzgerald. Met a lot of really rude salespeople there over the years, I know a guy too that works for them now. Their salespeople make very little, that may be a reason why. I have also never found their "no haggle" prices very compelling, and they actually WILL haggle.

Finding a V8 G90 is going to be tough. A V6 one would be fine for sampling the ride and drive.
Old 07-04-20, 08:26 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

is it possible that the 7 series never really got to properly stretch its legs? i'm one of the last people to jump to the defense of BMW, but as a fan of flagship sedans i guess i feel some need to come to the defense of the 7 series because it is supposed to be the driver's big sedan and in my experience BMWs really aren't that great until they start getting pushed a bit

either way i'd definitely go S560 out of those 3
Old 07-05-20, 10:42 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Ride and Drive 1. S560, 2. 740, 3. LS500

The S560 Is the champ here for sure. What surprised me is that despite the reviews and all lauding the 7 Series as having a very soft ride, I didn't think it rode especially well, certainly not as well as the S560 and in fact, I didn't think it rode that much better than the LS500. There was a graininess to its ride, it never felt like it was gliding along the pavement the way the S Class does, never felt that detachment from the road. Likely thats by design, as the 7 is notably nimbler than the S, but I didn't really get where the reviewers who made that claim were coming from. The LS is the sportiest of the bunch, but I gotta say I do think it gets a bad rap. This is not a poorly riding car, it just doesnt feel like a big luxury sedan on the road. It feels more like an evolution of the GS, which was a very nice riding car just firmly damped. Notable too, the S and 7 I drove were on 19s, the LS was on 20s. All three cars were very quiet, along the same course S was 58 db, 7 58 db, LS 60 db (my LS460L measured 58 dB after). The LS500 has some wind noise at speed I noticed also when I drove it before, and some tire noise made it through. 7 Series has no wind noise, but did have some tire noise. S Class did a better job of quieting that (Both had the same Pirelli P7 Runflats) although that difference didn't show up in the dB readings. All 3 of these cars are on runflats, and I would replace them on all of them with regular tires which will undoubtedly improve the ride and noise.
From the specs and (under-sized for its class)interior dimensions of the new LS500, I always thought it more the direct successor of the 4GS rather than the traditional Lexus LS torchbearer.

It's only the large external dimensions and elevated price tag that fools people into believing it's the typical Lexus flagship cushmobile when actually it's a midsize sports sedan in disguise. From a few reviews I've read, it's agility and nimbleness belies its perceived size. I believe Lexus targeted the LS500 against the Porsche Panamera rather than the traditional flagship sedans like 7 series,S-class or even the old LS460.

Reading your hands-on review only confirms my suspicions. A traditional LS460 owner like yourself looking to continue the same would no doubt be disappointed in the new LS500. 4GS aficionados mourning the loss of the GS should probably look to the LS500 to get their GS fix, if they could get past the higher price tag and external size of the LS500.

The final piece of evidence that drives home my contention that the LS500 is a midsize sports sedan in Flagship sedan livery : Interior passenger volume of the 2020 5 series = 98.9 cubic feet. Interior passenger volume of the 2020 LS500 = 99.4 cubic feet

No wonder Lexus got rid of the GS. Toyota saw the writing on the wall and realized that with the trends in public tastes, GS and LS sales would tank no matter what. Their solution? Lexus didn't just get rid of the GS, they also effectively killed off the traditional LS, combined the GS and LS into one mid-sizer and slapped the LS badge on it. You want the sporty GS experience but want more luxury and space then the IS? Get the new LS500.

The 2021 IS nor the 2020 ES aren't the GS replacements in the Lexus line-up, it's the 2020 and up LS.

reference :
https://www.thecarconnection.com/spe..._5-series_2020
https://www.thecarconnection.com/spe.../lexus_ls_2020

Last edited by natnut; 07-05-20 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-05-20, 11:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
... I believe Lexus targeted the LS500 against the Porsche Panamera rather than the traditional flagship sedans like 7 series,S-class or even the old LS460.
excellent post and i 100% agree. problem is, the panamera is AMAZING and yeah, it's a PORSCHE. that's some target to compete with!

No wonder Lexus got rid of the GS. Toyota saw the writing on the wall and realized that with the trends in public tastes, GS and LS sales would tank no matter what. Their solution? Lexus didn't just get rid of the GS, they also effectively killed off the traditional LS, combined the GS and LS into one mid-sizer and slapped the LS badge on it. You want the sporty GS experience but want more luxury and space then the IS? Get the new LS500.
maybe but that 'strategy' makes no sense.
1) a $60K GS buyer is unlikely to more to a $100K LS and probably doesn't want a vehicle that long.
2) midsize luxury sedans are still selling, lexus just chose not to bring competitive offerings. MB E, 5 series, G80, A6, etc.
3) if they saw the GS/LS market shrinking (right overall, in favor of cuv/suvs) why not REALLY upgrade the whole cuv/suv line? the only thing new in years is the UX which is selling quite well worldwide (it's the new cheap lexus and way better than the CT200h)
4) lexus chose to drop the GS, change the LS into a long GS as you said, and the rest is mostly tweaks, repackaging, and repricing old models except the ES which is great for what it is.

Quick Reply: Drove S560, 740i & LS500 back to back to back on the same test loop