Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove S560, 740i & LS500 back to back to back on the same test loop

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 06:13 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I spent a couple hours driving the LS500 on Monday from Playa Vista through Venice & Santa Monica and then took a nice cruise down PCH to Malibu and back. Here are some photos of the LS I drove:

That's one of the better-looking LS500's I've seen. Beautiful car, appreciate you posting.

Last edited by jrmckinley; 07-09-20 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 09:25 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Taken from this angle, the LS500 F-Sport looks very similar to the GS350 F-Sport. It looks like an evolution of the 4GS.

The closest parallel is the BMW F10 5 series to the 6 series Grancoupe. The 6 series Grancoupe also had 4 doors but was much more stylish and sat one level up in the BMW pecking order, was significantly pricier but had same amount of interior space and was also significantly longer externally. Basically BMW buyers were buying the same car but paying more for the styling and prestige of a higher model.

I'm convinced Lexus is pulling the same bait and switch. Offer a similar driving experience to the 4GS but at a premium. At least Lexus is offering more features and toys as standard, a much stronger and thus safer body shell and at least a significantly more powerful base engine.

In short think of the LS500 as the GS500 Grancoupe.

The GS is dead, long live the GS(Grancoupe).
This is a very interesting angle and thought process. I had never thought of the BMW 6 series like that - you may be right in both cases. It doesn't make sense for Lexus to intentionally do that to their flagship sedan, but I see your point-of-view.
Old 07-09-20, 12:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

LS500 looks even better when next to other car makes or models. Love the white. Just wish they added fog lights.
Old 07-09-20, 12:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I REALLY wish Lexus had raised the grille to the hood line like on the GS. I despise that little strip

Old 07-09-20, 02:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I REALLY wish Lexus had raised the grille to the hood line like on the GS. I despise that little strip
Yes. I agree. ES started it in 13 I think.
Old 07-10-20, 12:13 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Unpopular opinion : having come to the realisation that the current generation LS500 is a GS500 Grancoupe in Lexus' conception and branding strategy ie a niche model, I think Lexus expected the LS to sell in niche numbers just like the niche BMW 6 series Grancoupe sold and Lexus is quite satisfied with its sales figures and probably factored that in even before launching the current LS.

The car that will effectively take the place of the traditional Flagship soft riding, noiseless LS400/430/460 in the Lexus lineup won't even be a sedan at all but will be some uberluxury version of the LX SUV.

The LS nameplate as it exists will never die since it started and defines Lexus as a brand but it is now effectively a Flagship Sports Sedan/Grancoupe in the mould of the Panamera, 6/8 series 4 door coupes, CLS and Jaguar XJ.

Lexus probably thinks a cushy riding RWD Flagship sedan is an oxymoron and doesn't make sense since the SUV/Minivan/MPV form factor provides much more space, headroom, legroom and luxury for the CEO types who like to be chauffeured.

Those who love their LS460/600hL better hold on to them or prepare to jump ship to another brand if they are not prepared to move to a Lexus Flagship SUV/Minivan/MPV.

Another possibility is that Lexus will upgrade the ES to AWD and a more powerful engine to satisfy those who love absolute silence and isolation but want to stay with Lexus and the sedan form factor. As it is the ES already rivals the S-class and 7 series in interior volume and rear seat leg room.

Seems like Lexus immediate road map is :
IS to be the compact/tweener RWD sports sedan,
LS to be the prestige stylish midsized RWD sports Grancoupe,
ES to be the mainstream bread and butter, spacious, isolation chamber cushmobile
Super LX/future Lexus Minivan or MPV to be the CEO carrier.
LC/RC and other SUVs will fall somewhere in between this framework.
​​​
​​​​​

Last edited by natnut; 07-10-20 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-10-20, 08:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

^^^ probably should start a separate thread with this, but great post.
Old 07-10-20, 01:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Oh I think Lexus will go back and get softer, at least if they have the slightest clue what they're doing.

LS needs to be like G90. G90 is seriously impressive, I loved watching the Motorweek on the brand new one. That is exactly what I want in a luxury car.
Old 07-10-20, 01:32 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Oh I think Lexus will go back and get softer, at least if they have the slightest clue what they're doing.

LS needs to be like G90. G90 is seriously impressive, I loved watching the Motorweek on the brand new one. That is exactly what I want in a luxury car.
Like I said, Lexus is prepared to lose you to another brand as it has done its math and worked out it is not worth it to retain such customers due to market trends as this segment( soft riding flagship sedans) is rapidly shrinking.

That's my take anyway. Time will tell who is right.
Old 07-10-20, 02:05 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Like I said, Lexus is prepared to lose you to another brand as it has done its math and worked out it is not worth it to retain such customers due to market trends as this segment( soft riding flagship sedans) is rapidly shrinking.
If that were true, they wouldn't have put in the effort to soften the suspension for this refresh, which they've put quite a bit of emphasis on in the press release. I don't buy for a second your claim that Lexus deliberately wanted the LS to be a low-volume selling vehicle.

Like I and others have said before, if Lexus truly wanted this to be a Panamera or Gran Coupe competitor, they would have offered much more performance options instead of executive seating packages. I respect them for taking the LS in a different direction, but they didn't take it far enough, and the end result is a compromise that doesn't truly satisfy anyone.
Old 07-10-20, 02:29 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Originally Posted by Motorola
If that were true, they wouldn't have put in the effort to soften the suspension for this refresh, which they've put quite a bit of emphasis on in the press release. I don't buy for a second your claim that Lexus deliberately wanted the LS to be a low-volume selling vehicle.

Like I and others have said before, if Lexus truly wanted this to be a Panamera or Gran Coupe competitor, they would have offered much more performance options instead of executive seating packages. I respect them for taking the LS in a different direction, but they didn't take it far enough, and the end result is a compromise that doesn't truly satisfy anyone.
Interesting.

TMC had their no more boring cars concept, where all their models became sporty.
The 5LS was the last to receive the no more boring cars concept.
The 5LS was lowered, such that its interior fell from 103 to just 99 cu ft, while the trunk fell from 14 to 13 cu ft. Keep in mind that LS430 had 107 + 16 cu ft!
Along with no more boring cars, 5LS received firmer suspension with a noisier ride.

Meanwhile TMC seemed to do an about-face [or at least a partial about-face] with their no more boring cars concept.
The 2016-20 mid-life refreshed GS was softened and quieter.
The 2017-23 Camry was also softened and quieter, though lower and smaller inside @ 100 vs 103 cu ft & 14 vs 15 cu ft trunk.
The 2018-24 Corolla was also softer and quieter, though lower and smaller inside @ 89 vs 98 cu ft.
The 2018-24 Lexus ES was also softer, quieter and lower inside, but maintained its 100 cu ft passenger compartment, while the trunk with pinched-tail styling fell from 15 to just 13 cu ft.

One of my staff just got a brand new RAV4 Hybrid, while another staff has the recently superseded RAV4.
I test drove it a few days ago.

It seems to have a slightly lower and smaller passenger compartment, with lower rear seat bases - uncomfortably excessively raked rear seat back rests to make the cabin feel longer, however the trunk is longer and larger; the EPA does not seem to measure cu ft volume for SUV tall wagons.

The new RAV is much softer riding [much more pleasant riding] than the other staffer's old RAV4, while the Camries of the same era ride better than RAV4.
The RAV4 is much superior noise suppression over the old RAV4, however the Camries of the same era are much quieter than RAV4.

Hence, Toyota Motor Corp's current crop of vehicles are generally smoother and quieter, but lower and smaller inside...

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-10-20 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 02:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

That's my take anyway. Time will tell who is right.
We have a rule, we don't spend over 40k give or take for a vehicle. So technically I'm not in the market. But yeah I know what you mean.

That said, I buy very nice used cars and wouldn't trust a G90 like an used LS reliability wise, so I'd never own one.

Next immediate vehicle will be a truck, however I may look for a 2017 LS460 down the line in a couple years. The last of the Lexus we all love. They're gorgeous, look amazing and nice and modern, have that V8. It will age extremely well; it already has! I'll take Steve's car if he sells it!!

G90 just looks like a plushmobile, and that's the reviews it gets, too. I get times have changed but there are plenty of people who still want to drive an isolation chamber, myself included. Lexus clearly doesn't get that and it's pitiful because they basically invented it.
Old 07-10-20, 02:38 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow! The new LS is waaaaaayyy bigger than the GS. They both look great!
Old 07-10-20, 02:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
One of my staff just got a brand new RAV4 Hybrid, while another staff has the recently superseded RAV4.
I test drove it a few days ago.

It seems to have a slightly lower and smaller passenger compartment, with lower rear seat bases - uncomfortably excessively raked rear seat back rests to make the cabin feel longer, however the trunk is longer and larger; the EPA does not seem to measure cu ft volume for SUV tall wagons..
The rear seatback in the new RAV4 is reclining/adjustable. You can set it to lay back or bolt upright if you want.
Old 07-10-20, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Looks like my thread has been a hit LOL. I was at the beach for the past 5 days, just got back.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the shifter in a $160,000+ M760i feels like it'll fall off after several dozen uses... such cheap plastic throughout that entire interior
Not sure what 7 Series you've seen, but I couldn't detect any cheap plastic in the interior of the 740 I drove, let alone a M760i with full merino leather. Its got the best materials in the segment, IMHO...better than the S Class.

Unpopular opinion : having come to the realisation that the current generation LS500 is a GS500 Grancoupe in Lexus' conception and branding strategy ie a niche model, I think Lexus expected the LS to sell in niche numbers just like the niche BMW 6 series Grancoupe sold and Lexus is quite satisfied with its sales figures and probably factored that in even before launching the current LS.
I think this is very accurate.

Quick Reply: Drove S560, 740i & LS500 back to back to back on the same test loop