Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove S560, 740i & LS500 back to back to back on the same test loop

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That said, I buy very nice used cars and wouldn't trust a G90 like an used LS reliability wise, so I'd never own one.
Have you looked at or driven a G90?

I'll take Steve's car if he sells it!!
It's currently under a lease-contract. I don't think he can sell it to you directly. You'd probably have to either buy out the contract from the dealership, at the car's residual-value (or whatever the dealership asks for it), or simply buy it as a regular used-car (Probably a Lexus-Certified one) from the dealership, after it has been returned at the end of the contract.

(Steve.....you obviously know the fine-print in the lease-contract better than I do....correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 07-10-20, 03:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I most certainly could sell it to him directly. I always trade my cars in vs selling them, you can trade or sell a leased car same as a owned car, there's a payoff amount you just need to hit.
Old 07-10-20, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I most certainly could sell it to him directly. I always trade my cars in vs selling them, you can trade or sell a leased car same as a owned car, there's a payoff amount you just need to hit.
OK....I have not personally been through that process (or seen it done)......but I take your word for it. I don't deal a lot with leased vehicles......most of those people I shop with, including myself, end up purchasing, though I did help a friend of mine (a restaurant manager) through a Chrysler 300 lease. I guess it depends on the fine print in the contract.
Old 07-10-20, 03:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its just financing with a balloon payment at the end, think of it that way.
Old 07-10-20, 04:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

People don’t understand this about leasing. I shudder when I read anything that states that you will walk away with nothing at the end of a lease. In all my leases, that’s only happened once.
Old 07-10-20, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
People don’t understand this about leasing. I shudder when I read anything that states that you will walk away with nothing at the end of a lease. In all my leases, that’s only happened once.

I can't speak as an expert on the subject, but that is probably because most people, at the end of a lease-contract, simply lease another new vehicle....so that's what they go home with. But, if they don't, than on those rare occasions, as you noted, at the end of a lease, all else equal, no, you won't have anything....except some used license-plates LOL, which probably go back to DMV for recycling if you don't re-register them on another vehicle.
Old 07-10-20, 08:41 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
If that were true, they wouldn't have put in the effort to soften the suspension for this refresh, which they've put quite a bit of emphasis on in the press release. I don't buy for a second your claim that Lexus deliberately wanted the LS to be a low-volume selling vehicle.

Like I and others have said before, if Lexus truly wanted this to be a Panamera or Gran Coupe competitor, they would have offered much more performance options instead of executive seating packages. I respect them for taking the LS in a different direction, but they didn't take it far enough, and the end result is a compromise that doesn't truly satisfy anyone.
I think the F-Sport package of the LS500 with rear wheel steering, adjustable stabilizer bars, and huge 2 piece rotors/big brake kit are quite significant performance options.

Improving ride is always part and parcel of Toyota's continuous improvement philosophy to ownership experience and not some abrupt about-turn in strategy on the LS. For example, the ISF face-lifts improved the ride of the very harsh riding first year.

Incidentally that conversely actually improved the track times of the ISF.

Last edited by natnut; 07-10-20 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 08:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That said, I buy very nice used cars and wouldn't trust a G90 like an used LS reliability wise, so I'd never own one.
that's kinda funny... my 2018 g90 will be 3 years old mar '21 and will likely have less than 30k mi. on it the way things are going. the lease buyout price is $31K i believe. i'm considering whether to buy it because it feels completely bulletproof to me. i've not read of ANY issues, either. mine has the 3.3TTv6 but you can get them with the 5.0v8 - an engine that's been around a good while and which i've also not read of ANY issues with. i'm also considering replacing this g90 with a new one, this time with the v8 because v8's are going the way of the dinosaur in the next few years.

G90 just looks like a plushmobile, and that's the reviews it gets, too.
And an LS460L isn't? also, my car handles corners surprisingly well.

I get times have changed but there are plenty of people who still want to drive an isolation chamber, myself included. Lexus clearly doesn't get that and it's pitiful because they basically invented it.
my car is very quiet, and the new ones are apparently even quieter.
Old 07-10-20, 11:08 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I think the F-Sport package of the LS500 with rear wheel steering, adjustable stabilizer bars, and huge 2 piece rotors/big brake kit are quite significant performance options.

Improving ride is always part and parcel of Toyota's continuous improvement philosophy to ownership experience and not some abrupt about-turn in strategy on the LS. For example, the ISF face-lifts improved the ride of the very harsh riding first year.

Incidentally that conversely actually improved the track times of the ISF.
The F-Sport package can hardly be considered a real performance upgrade. Compare it to something like an Audi S8, which comes with a twin turbo V8, ceramic brakes, a rear differential, in addition to the all-wheel-steering and adaptive dampers. And the S8 has the least amount of performance upgrades compared to its two German counterparts. Worse yet, AWD LS F-Sports don't get the rear steer. Like most F-Sport packages, the changes are mostly cosmetic and don't dramatically change the performance of the vehicle.

The IS-F comparison is irrelevant when the degree of harshness of ride in any F product is far higher than the LS 500. The IS-F was a car that's simply hard to live with. Nobody has complained that the new LS is hard to live with or harsh at all, but that it's too harsh compared to the flagship sedans that it's supposed to compete against. If the LS truly did compete with the Panamera and Gran Coupe, then the supposedly harsher suspension would be a non-issue, because that segment of vehicles is not aimed at being floaty boaty. And I'm not sure how "continuous improvement" applies here when the entire character of the LS 500 is a 180 from the LS 460 to begin with.

It's okay to admit that Lexus makes mistakes, and the LS was one of them. No matter how you want to spin it, its lacking sales performance was not what Toyota anticipated. Personally, I wanted the LS to succeed. I would much rather Lexus make more bold attempts that went against the grain like the 5LS and LC than continue their current trend of cancelling or ignoring performance and rear-wheel-drive cars while putting more emphasis on their FWD CUV lineup. But ultimately, they are a corporation and they have to make money, whether we as enthusiasts like it or not.
Old 07-10-20, 11:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Didn't read the whole thread, but honestly modern cars are not that much different when it comes purely to the driving experience - as long as they are in the same class/category, they will drive almost the same. It really comes down to personal preferences on interior/exterior styling and preference of infotainment system. I personally would go with a 750 as I don't like MB interiors and can't stand the infotainment system in the Lexus.
Old 07-10-20, 11:44 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 257 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
So, what did you walk away with in those other leases?
Old 07-11-20, 12:48 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not sure what 7 Series you've seen, but I couldn't detect any cheap plastic in the interior of the 740 I drove, let alone a M760i with full merino leather. Its got the best materials in the segment, IMHO...better than the S Class.
a 2019 M760i lol

ok maybe throughout the interior is a bit hyperbolic but the shifter is quite chintzy feeling... i suppose the amount of plastic throughout the interior is more accurate
Old 07-11-20, 07:13 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
a 2019 M760i lol

ok maybe throughout the interior is a bit hyperbolic but the shifter is quite chintzy feeling... i suppose the amount of plastic throughout the interior is more accurate
BMW interiors are nice with very good materials - they improved tenfold in the recent years. One thing with BMWs however, their audio systems are absolute garbage, even the most expensive systems are nothing but a good looking covers with high end badge on cheapest paper cones.
Old 07-11-20, 07:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Didn't read the whole thread, but honestly modern cars are not that much different when it comes purely to the driving experience - as long as they are in the same class/category, they will drive almost the same. It really comes down to personal preferences on interior/exterior styling and preference of infotainment system. I personally would go with a 750 as I don't like MB interiors and can't stand the infotainment system in the Lexus.
They drive similarly, but not the same at all. There are differences for sure, especially with the LS500 which doesnt feel anything like the other cars.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
a 2019 M760i lol

I don't see how we could be sitting in the same two interiors. The only plastic I could find on the interior of the 740i I drove was the lower B pillar and the door thresholds and the grab handles at the ceiling. And the M760i has the full extended merino leather which has MORE leather and those door handles are wood, even the seatbelt surrounds are wood. Everything else is stitched leather, metal or wood. All the switchgear is even metal. The shifter is the same shifter BMW has used for years, it is what it is. I don't think it feels cheap.

7 Series has the best materials in the class, if anything.
Old 07-11-20, 08:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
So, what did you walk away with in those other leases?
Money.

If the value of the vehicle is higher than your lease-end buyout, you can sell it or trade it and pocket the cash. On my last Tacoma lease that was about $7k. Most other leases have been about $1-4k back.

Quick Reply: Drove S560, 740i & LS500 back to back to back on the same test loop