Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Car - 124 Spider Lusso - Warranty Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 01:45 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
glad you got the warranty and can now enjoy the car!

you do know what FIAT stands for right?
haha, yes, that was a bit before my generation, but i did know what it stood for. haha. i'm hoping that i won't have to use the warranty (much)!
Old 07-23-20, 02:35 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Dunno how I missed this thread, but congrats!

Is that hose with the green clip on it related to secondary air injection? Looks extremely similar to the SAI tube on my GTI. And also, it was disconnected when I looked at the car at the dealership for the first time, but it drove fine. Re-connected it as soon as I noticed obviously.
Old 07-23-20, 05:13 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
Dunno how I missed this thread, but congrats!

Is that hose with the green clip on it related to secondary air injection? Looks extremely similar to the SAI tube on my GTI. And also, it was disconnected when I looked at the car at the dealership for the first time, but it drove fine. Re-connected it as soon as I noticed obviously.
thanks!

i actually had no idea what the hose was for so i did a little digging and it's an evaporative tube and even then, i'm still not quite sure what the function is for, but it definitely makes a difference in the way the vehicle performs if it's not secured properly, so i do want that clip whether lexus carlsbad fixes it or whether i have to purchase it and install it myself, i'm going to because it idled really roughly - so vacuum leak i'm assuming by it being an evaporative tube/inlet? i dunno.

thanks, though! the car is a blast to drive! it's like an nd miata, which is to be expected, with softer suspension and much more sound insulation - so more of a touring roadster with a more refined driving experience compared to the mx-5. i did test drive the abarth version of the car and found that it drove too harshly. i also didn't care for the abarth's styling over the lusso's, so i went with the lusso! all in all a fun car with really nicely penned lines.
Old 07-23-20, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
haha, yes, that was a bit before my generation, but i did know what it stood for. haha. i'm hoping that i won't have to use the warranty (much)!
Fix it Again, Tony was an old saying from my school-days, like Ford's Fix or Repair Daily, Found on Road Dead, or (a compliment at that time).....First on Race Day. But the literal meaning of FIAT is Fabbrica Italiana Automobil Torino, which means "Italian Automobile Factory in Turin".
Old 07-24-20, 12:54 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Fix it Again, Tony was an old saying from my school-days, like Ford's Fix or Repair Daily, Found on Road Dead, or (a compliment at that time).....First on Race Day. But the literal meaning of FIAT is Fabbrica Italiana Automobil Torino, which means "Italian Automobile Factory in Turin".
@mmarshall yep! i knew/know of fiat's actual meaning. it's sorta similar to the spanish 'seat' or 'sociedad española de automoviles de turísmo' or 'spanish society of touring cars' which is family's home country's only remaining car marque although now it's owned by the volkswagen group but at least it still exists. spain's other most famous car brand is hispano suiza and they went under decades ago but are superrrrrr expensive collector's and museum cars. anyhow, i believe that the seat design and fabrication plant are located near barcelona in a town that's located in my family's home region of catalunya.

anyway, i'm getting on about a brand that i don't own but i wish i did out of ancestral pride's sake. that said, fiat's a southern european/mediterranean marque and that's close enough. initially when i was looking i wanted the alfa romeo 4c, although i didn't want to put down the amount necessary to bring down the car payment to what i thought was a reasonable figure, so i did a bit of research on what roadsters were available (there aren't many) and landed upon either the mx-5 or the 124 spider, and much preferred the design of the 124 spider and here i am today! people have NO idea what the hell the thing is as fiat sold so few of them, so that's a bonus as well - i'm unique on the road and the car is super attractive.

Last edited by davyjordi; 07-24-20 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-24-20, 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
initially when i was looking i wanted the alfa romeo 4c,
Did you actually sit in a 4C and try one out? If you were comfortable, you are probably not a very large or heavy person physically. Its interior, while not only stark, seems designed for small adults at most....even more cramped for tall people than the Miata /124 Spyder. And the sharp seat-bolsters cut into the backs of almost anyone not model-thin. To be fair, though, it was not as difficult to get in and out of as the Lotus Elise......remember the write-up I did on the Elise I sampled?
Old 07-24-20, 11:52 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you actually sit in a 4C and try one out? If you were comfortable, you are probably not a very large or heavy person physically. Its interior, while not only stark, seems designed for small adults at most....even more cramped for tall people than the Miata /124 Spyder. And the sharp seat-bolsters cut into the backs of almost anyone not model-thin. To be fair, though, it was not as difficult to get in and out of as the Lotus Elise......remember the write-up I did on the Elise I sampled?
I wouldn't expect any of those vehicles to be driven by larger folk. To say these cars are designed for "small adults at most" is a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? Most average-sized people can fit into these cars comfortably.
Old 07-24-20, 11:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I wouldn't expect any of those vehicles to be driven by larger folk. To say these cars are designed for "small adults at most" is a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? Most average-sized people can fit into these cars comfortably.
Yeah, there are obviously some body types who wouldn't fit into these type of cars but overall a good % of people would fit.
Old 07-24-20, 03:55 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

i did, actually, and i even forgave its harsh ride quality and spartan interior because of the amazing performance. and i'm indeed on the small side at 5'9" and 145lbs and fit perfectly fine. the lotus elise is a nightmare to drive and really is strictly a track machine and i don't track my cars. i do remember that review that you wrote and posted!
Old 07-24-20, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke

OK, I guess it depends on what one considers "average" in size. My point, though, is that the 4C is not built for what one would usually consider a larger American adult. Original 1Gen Miatas generally weren't, either, but they have moderated slightly in interior room in the 30 years since they were introduced.
Old 07-24-20, 06:35 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

OK, I guess it depends on what one considers "average" in size. My point, though, is that the 4C is not built for what one would usually consider a larger American adult. Original 1Gen Miatas generally weren't, either, but they have moderated slightly in interior room in the 30 years since they were introduced.
I know this is off-topic, but I recently watched a video about a 4C owner. The Youtuber who interviewed him is over 6 feet tall and seems to find it uncomfortable to sit in the passenger seat.

Old 07-24-20, 07:18 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
I know this is off-topic, but I recently watched a video about a 4C owner. The Youtuber who interviewed him is over 6 feet tall and seems to find it uncomfortable to sit in the passenger seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSXh...channel=EddieX
haha, yeah, that guy is not the right size for that car.