Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 LS500 arrives with new looks, self driving tech

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 01:50 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Going to quote what Carmaker1 said about the LS a while back, because it's very relevant to the 5LS and its future:

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
My intel is as good as dead after that, as some Toyota and Lexus related leaks in Q1 of 2020 came directly from me, but it was still secondhand knowledge, although quite informed. A lot of those sources of mine have stopped talking to me as a result, because they connected the dots.

One thing is for certain, LS-F is not happening, as this generation will be ending production in summer 2023. Toyota is in a rush to move onto 6LS apparently and rushed this weakly done facelift in late 2020 against a February 2018 launch.

That is quickest facelift any LS has gotten since 1997, when they rushed in the 1998 LS 400, in just 2 years and 9-10 months from November 1994 launch. Typically it's a full 3 years.

Who knows if that 6LS even goes into production at all?
Old 11-10-20, 01:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Apparently an LS full BEV sedan is slated for 2030!
I presume it is a typing error below with LC sedan meant to be LS sedan?

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-10-20 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-10-20, 02:46 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Who am I to believe- an engineer who's worked for Toyota and has strong industry connections, or an unsourced article with typos? Such a difficult choice.
Old 11-10-20, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Millenials have plenty of money Mike. Bear in mind the oldest millennials are in their late 30s now, and millennials absolutely do buy $80-100k cars, its just they dont buy a Lexus LS. Lexus was stupid to think they would.
Yes, I agree that those in their late 30s have sometimes been working long enough to have some money, but are they considered Millennials? They would have been born in the early 1980s...the early Reagan years. I may be wrong, but I have understood the term to define those born around the turn of the century...which would make them (roughly) college-age now.
Old 11-10-20, 03:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Congrats on the 4 Runner Jill! I hadn’t noticed.

Old 11-10-20, 03:29 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I agree that those in their late 30s have sometimes been working long enough to have some money, but are they considered Millennials? They would have been born in the early 1980s...the early Reagan years. I may be wrong, but I have understood the term to define those born around the turn of the century...which would make them (roughly) college-age now.
There is no international standard for age brackets.
However, I thought Baby Boomers were born 1940-60, Gen X to be 1960-80, Gen Y Millennials to be 1980-00, with Gen Z born 2000-20, while 2020-40 becomes Generation Alpha, with 2040-60 as Gen Beta.
Old 11-10-20, 03:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

According to this, Millennials were born from 1981 to 1996.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...tion-z-begins/
In order to keep the Millennial generation analytically meaningful, and to begin looking at what might be unique about the next cohort, Pew Research Center decided a year ago to use 1996 as the last birth year for Millennials for our future work. Anyone born between 1981 and 1996 (ages 23 to 38 in 2019) is considered a Millennial, and anyone born from 1997 onward is part of a new generation.
Old 11-10-20, 03:51 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

With Millennials, it may be more than just a sporting-vs.-luxury issue. New LS's don't come cheap, period, and many of these younger people, for a number of different reasons, don't have large bank accounts....even necessarily for leasing, which can often be less expensive. When I was in my 20s, for example, I would have loved to have gotten a brand-new big American Luxury car....but I simply couldn't afford it, and had to save money to get my own house.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Millenials have plenty of money Mike. Bear in mind the oldest millennials are in their late 30s now, and millennials absolutely do buy $80-100k cars, its just they dont buy a Lexus LS. Lexus was stupid to think they would.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/m...9-12?r=US&IR=T

Millennials only hold 3% of total US wealth, and that's a shockingly small sliver of what baby boomers had at their age

HILLARY HOFFOWER
DEC 6, 2019, 2:15 AM
Mauricio Santana/Getty ImagesWhen baby boomers were millennials’ age, they held seven times the wealth millennials do.The generational wealth gap continues to look bleak.

In 1989, baby boomers (defined in a recent Federal Reserve report as Americans born between 1946 and 1964) were roughly the same age millennials (born between 1981 and 1996) are today. But boomers held 21% of America’s total net worth in 1989 – seven times millennials’ paltry 3% share in 2019, wrote Alex Tabarrok in the blog Marginal Revolution.

The chart below shows what percentage of total US wealth each generation has held since 1990, according to Fed data that extends through 2019 Q2. Over time, the Silent Generation has seen a decline from 80% to 25% of total US wealth, presumably because they have begun to pass away and exhaust their retirement accounts and pensions.

As baby boomers age, their percentage of total US wealth has increased from 20% to nearly 60%.

Andy Kiersz/Business InsiderAs baby boomers age, their percentage of total US wealth has increased. Meanwhile, millennials have barely seen an increase in net worth.Gen X and millennials haven’t even reached these wealth levels. Thus far, Gen X only comprises about 16% of US wealth. And perhaps most strikingly, the line for millennials is almost completely flat: They have barely seen any increase in net worth, coming in at less than 5% of total US wealth in 2019.

It’s worth noting that these generations are younger, so comprising a smaller percentage of US wealth is expected. However, the chart below, which highlights the percentage of US wealth held by age, shows that the young are still financially behind: Their wealth levels are below where they should be.
Andy Kiersz/Business InsiderWealth for those above age 55 has increased, while wealth for those younger than 55 has decreased.Wealth for those above age 70 has increased, but it’s not as significant as the increase in wealth for those in the 55 to 69 age group. This indicates that boomers are outpacing Silent Gen in wealth accumulation as they enter retirement.

Meanwhile, wealth for those in the 40 to 54 age bracket and for those under age 40 has decreased, which indicates that millennials and Gen X are lagging behind boomers as they move into those age brackets.

Millennials are financially behind, but it’s possible they can catch up

These findings underscore a MagnifyMoney study of Fed data on household assets and liabilities from earlier this year.

The study (all values are adjusted for inflation) found that in 1998, the average household aged 20 to 35 had a net worth of $US103,400. Today, the average household in the same age range has an average net worth of $US100,800. Compare that to households aged 52 to 70, who had a net worth of $US747,600 in 1998; today, the same age cohort has a net worth of $US1.2 million.

That means the wealth gap between older households and younger households has nearly doubled in the past 20 years, climbing from seven to twelve times the net worth. In that time frame, the average net worth for households ages 20 to 35 has declined by $US2,600, while households ages 52 to 70 have seen a $US452,400 increase in net worth.

The generational wealth gap increase is ultimately an effect of The Great American Affordability Crisis, in which rising living costs such as housing, increasing student-loan debt, and the ongoing fallout of the recession are creating serious financial struggles for millennials, Business Insider previously reported.

But it’s not all bad news. Jason Dorsey, president of The Centre for Generational Kinetics, previously told Business Insider it’s possible for millennials to catch up financially thanks to a baby-boomer inheritance, low unemployment rates, and good savings habits.
Old 11-10-20, 04:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Born in early 1982, I do not consider myself a millennial. True millenials IMO don't really remember the analog world like people my age do.

I specifically remember both. And thank GOD I got to have a childhood and the internet wasn't the huge deal it is until about when I was 16-18. I would have probably gotten into trouble with it if it were around middle school age. My mother always says thank god the internet was not around then lol.
Old 11-10-20, 08:59 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Cars aren't as important to millenials. They value convenience and public transportation or uber to the nearest bar. All the millenials I know and work with, they literally will get evicted if we are late with their paychecks. They are perfectly happy living in a small NYC apt with 3 other people and pay 1500 each in rent. Just so they can have the prestige and convenience of living in the city. It is a completely different mindset and viewpoint when it comes to soending and saving money. Oh and entitled too and they all want to be a boss and be paid like one. Not all, but enough. So to them a Lexus is like living outside the city. I know I'm over generalizing and I'm sorry to whoever I offended. It's just what I observed. They will almost never view a Lexus or the LS as something they aspire to.
Old 11-11-20, 05:16 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

2021 Lexus LS500 Starts at $77,025

Lexus
  • The 2021 Lexus LS500 starts at $77,025 and touts a smoother ride and quieter engine.
  • The interior updates include a 12.3-inch touchscreen that supplements the touchpad in the center console.
  • The 2021 Lexus LS500 will be in showrooms in late November, with the LS500h hybrid arriving in early 2021.
If the terms "quiet" and "smooth" come to mind when you think luxury, then Lexus has some good news for you. The automaker says the 2021 Lexus LS500 improves on the current-gen model in both respects, and it comes with a starting price of $77,025 for the base rear-wheel-drive trim level, a $550 increase over the 2020 model's $76,475 base price.In addition to a new headlight and taillight design, the next-gen LS500 is also getting a technology bump with a 12.3-inch touchscreen display that's Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible. The Remote Touch Interface (RTI) touchpad is still there, but the larger screen, which is located closer to the driver, should alleviate some of the ergonomic issues we faced in the 2018 LS500.
View Photos

Lexus says it has tuned the suspension and chassis, including revised spring and damper rates, for that improvement in ride quality. The 2021 LS500 also gets larger-diameter front and rear anti-roll bars and larger front and rear liquid-filled bushings.

While the powerplant has remained the same as far as power is concerned, with a 416-hp twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6 in the LS500 and a 354-hp 3.5-liter V-6 gasoline engine with two electric motors in the LS500h hybrid, the automaker says the latest vehicles will have engine tweaks for better efficiency and quieter operation. Lexus says that the 10-speed transmission has gotten some love; its shift logic has been updated to keep the engine in a more responsive section of the powerband.

Rounding out the pricing, while the rear-wheel-drive LS500 starts at $77,025, the AWD LS500 will have a starting price of $80,275. Meanwhile, for the sportier trim levels, the LS500 F Sport will start at $80,625 while the AWD LS500 will set you back $83,875. All will land in dealerships in late November. Pricing for the LS500h will be announced closer to that vehicle's delivery, which should be in early 2021.
Old 11-11-20, 05:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Can't believe I'm saying this, but in this day and age, $77k for a flagship doesn't even sound like it's "too" expensive. When I test drove the new (prev gen) Suburban when it came out, it was already 64k. The last gen Audi A6 I drove was 68k and it was a stripper. Have our salaries kept pace, unfortunately, yes. It's just that common sense piece that says at least with me, "should I be spending that much?" It's like 3 HVAC systems, and some of you guys have 2 in your homes lol

edit p.s. had this conversation with my mom, how come people are so ***** nilly spending 100k on a car, but when their AC breaks and they're facing $30k to replace it, they're crying like babies? 2 of my coworkers are in that boat, 7 y.o. mcmansions and both systems need replacement--contractor grade stuff
Old 11-11-20, 06:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Can't believe I'm saying this, but in this day and age, $77k for a flagship doesn't even sound like it's "too" expensive. When I test drove the new (prev gen) Suburban when it came out, it was already 64k. The last gen Audi A6 I drove was 68k and it was a stripper. Have our salaries kept pace, unfortunately, yes. It's just that common sense piece that says at least with me, "should I be spending that much?" It's like 3 HVAC systems, and some of you guys have 2 in your homes lol

edit p.s. had this conversation with my mom, how come people are so ***** nilly spending 100k on a car, but when their AC breaks and they're facing $30k to replace it, they're crying like babies? 2 of my coworkers are in that boat, 7 y.o. mcmansions and both systems need replacement--contractor grade stuff
$68k for a stripper '16 A6 seems high. When I was shopping for our '16 A6 I seem to remember that you could get a nicely equipped Premium Plus for well under that, maybe in the mid to high $50's.
Old 11-11-20, 07:04 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

It really comes down to what people value spending their money on. Some are shoes, watches, bags, cars and whatever else brings joy. Replacing a HVAC system does not exactly bring joy but buying an Omega does.
Old 11-11-20, 07:15 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Can't believe I'm saying this, but in this day and age, $77k for a flagship doesn't even sound like it's "too" expensive.
Of course not, tack on all the option packages and you'll reach $125K. The only flagship that gives you all the nice toys for under $80K is the Genesis G90.

Quick Reply: 2021 LS500 arrives with new looks, self driving tech