Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 LS500 arrives with new looks, self driving tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20 | 09:29 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

This is such a mild refresh at a time that LS needs to be Completely overhauled.
New Sclass is months away and new G90 is already at dealers.

LS needed a dramatic styling update and V8 availability.....
Old 07-07-20 | 09:30 AM
Kense
Instructor

Dated and boring.
Old 07-07-20 | 09:52 AM
Hoovey689

Engineers turned their attention to parts of the fifth-generation LS that a majority of owners never think about in order to achieve a ride that's markedly quieter and smoother. They notably fitted a new solenoid to the adaptive suspension that reduces damping force, redesigned the motor mounts to prevent mechanical vibrations from entering the cabin, and changed the stiffness of the run-flat tires as well as the rigidity of the stabilizer bars. These changes come together to cement the sedan's positioning as the cushiest model in its category.
Quieter is always good
Old 07-07-20 | 10:07 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Too little too late. There's nothing they can do to make that car the plushmobile the old ones were, it's just in its design.
Old 07-07-20 | 10:16 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

......adding extra vents will not increase anyone’s desire for
this car. I said it before, this should have been a GS not an LS.
Old 07-07-20 | 10:38 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This is such a mild refresh at a time that LS needs to be Completely overhauled.
New Sclass is months away and new G90 is already at dealers.

LS needed a dramatic styling update and V8 availability.....
I agree - but I think hard for Lexus (or Toyota) to justify "scrapping" their $$$ already invested in this new LS when the market (if they get it right) won't justify the extra cost. Outside of the first LS400, many have not compared the S-class to the LS since so Lexus should know they are pretty far behind as it is. I believe Toyota/Lexus are putting their $$ and focus on EV's and Hybrids so a comprehensive revamp on a low-volume sedan may not be top of their list.

Maybe they could afford to get the LS500 wrong, but they certainly can't afford to mess up the new Land Cruiser/LX/LQ where consumers are buying SUV's...
Old 07-07-20 | 10:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

And yes, that touch screen looks horrendous and tacked on.

WAKE UP, LEXUS!
Old 07-07-20 | 11:09 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like the changes with the suspension are geared more for comfort than performance. It's almost as if Lexus is admitting they made a mistake and want the LS to go back to its floaty boaty roots.

Agreed with everyone else that new infotainment looks really out-of-place. They ought to have just pushed the screen a few inches forward rather than tacking on a giant piece of plastic.

Any reason why the radar for the adaptive cruise was moved to the bottom of the grille on the hybrid? It's also only the hybrid in these pics that gets the weird side vents.

Old 07-07-20 | 11:09 AM
signdetres
Racer

If one more person calls it a vent.... People, those are not "vents" for the sake of adding vents. Those are sensors for the self-driving features and it's only on the cars that have that option. It will not be standard on all of them, hence why some cars are shown with it and some are shown without it. As @JDR76 mentioned, Lexus has had a similar looking prototype running around with similar sensors, here's that car:

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2019/10/...d-in-new-york/
Old 07-07-20 | 11:16 AM
signdetres
Racer

Is anyone actually reading the articles and looking at the photos? There are a lot of great things being done here that shows Lexus is moving in the right direction, yet all I'm seeing is, "meh, boring, lazy, this thing sucks." Yikes.

The self-driving tech that they're adding will be able to take over for you on freeways, similar to Super Cruise it sounds. In addition, Lexus' system which they're dubbing "Teammate" will be upgradeable via software updates. So the self-driving tech in this car will improve over time and will gain features as they come up with them, ala Tesla. This is a step in the right direction for the brand, not just the LS.

Then, everyone complains about not having a touchscreen, not having direct access to heated seats/steering, the ride is too stiff, it's not quick enough, etc. They are attempting to address all of those complaints.

I'm glad the styling has remained relatively similar to the previous model. It was already a beautiful car. Can't wait to check this new LS out in person.
Old 07-07-20 | 11:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
They ought to have just pushed the screen a few inches forward rather than tacking on a giant piece of plastic.
they did move it forward, but unfortunately they put it in a horrendously ugly case/bezel.
Old 07-07-20 | 11:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Sounds like the changes with the suspension are geared more for comfort than performance. It's almost as if Lexus is admitting they made a mistake and want the LS to go back to its floaty boaty roots.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Quieter is always good
i'm fine with making it a more cushy and quieter ride!
Old 07-07-20 | 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm fine with making it a more cushy and quieter ride!
............which it should have kept in the first place. Comfort is what the LS made its name on....and what kept its sales going, until the 5th-generation version.
Old 07-07-20 | 11:43 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
............which it should have kept in the first place. Comfort is what the LS made its name on....and what kept its sales going, until the 5th-generation version.
I'm not saying that the LS is completely wrong and needs to go back to being an isolation chamber. But what got a company to this point isn't what will get it to the next point. Companies can't just keep churning out the exact same thing. They're responding to changes in preferences and/or decisive actions to target a different demographic/psychographic.

Changing dynamics didn't need to be combined with a not quite A7 look while severely impacting rear seat space. I think they just tried to make the LS do too many different things at once.
Old 07-07-20 | 11:46 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

I understand they are going back to touchscreens, that's OK but why put the freaking clock on the left hand side of the tablet? Driver needs to extend the hand even further because of that damn clock. Lexus has failed analogue clock way too many times in their vehicles with weird positioning, not saying they should revert to green LCD clock but obviously it's not working.

Headlights are trash, don't know what that is underneath the swoosh but it looks like some workaround for matrix headlight for US market. Headlights have lost the flagship premium and finesse look of the initial LS500.

Quick Reply: 2021 LS500 arrives with new looks, self driving tech