Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 LS500 arrives with new looks, self driving tech

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-20, 12:22 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

One of the problems with the LS is that the interior only looks good in very few trim color choices. For instance, that white F sport looks so plain on the inside with its black leather, with piano black center console, plain metallic trim and black suede door panels. I thought the LS really had something with the herringbone wood, but its rarely ever seen or given to the press. Coupled with a lack of true ambient lighting, the LS interior looks really far behind the German counterparts. I know this is the F sport and trims choices are reduced, but it shouldnt be for a flagship.
Old 12-17-20, 01:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What he has on the screen is the Apple CarPlay home screen. You can definately display the OEM map, Google Maps, a home screen, etc. Whats displayed on the screen isn't my issue, its the screen itself. IMO it makes the interior look nothing like a $90,000 car.

I never got over 26-27 best case scenario with my LS460s. Thats a 20% improvement in mileage.
My issue is also the screen itself. The clock looks so half assed. I went and looked back at the older ones, at least the screen itself looks nice and clean.

I never have owned one but I’ve seen people report close to 30 mpg on older 460s. Granted, light foot at 60 MPH but yes.
Old 12-17-20, 05:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Not sure I've ever seen him take that high of on-ramp speeds before.
He probably has no idea He should have picked up on it.
Old 12-17-20, 05:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
My issue is also the screen itself. The clock looks so half assed. I went and looked back at the older ones, at least the screen itself looks nice and clean.

I never have owned one but I’ve seen people report close to 30 mpg on older 460s. Granted, light foot at 60 MPH but yes.
The non touchscreen LS500 was a better design. All Lexus had to do from day one is just add a few more redundant controls.
Old 12-17-20, 06:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Why is having more options a bad thing? If you like the touchpad fine, if you like the touch screen no problemo. Nothing really here to complain about minus that bezel.
Old 12-18-20, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Why is having more options a bad thing? If you like the touchpad fine, if you like the touch screen no problemo. Nothing really here to complain about minus that bezel.
The bezel is a huge thing though. No issue with the touchscreen, but the half assed way they designed it into the dash is terrible. They should have totally redesigned the dash to accommodate it instead of just filling in the old screen and tacking that on.

This is a very expensive car, and I just can't spend that much money on a car and be confronted with something all the time that I find so ugly, not when every other car in the segment is beautiful inside with no such tacked on nonsense.
Old 12-18-20, 07:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I think they made some nice improvements to the LS, but honestly, that screen is such a negative to me that if I were looking right now, I'd most likely go for a pre-refreshed model. I really like the way the screen is integrated into the pre-refresh, and I've never really understood the angst over the touchpad, so I'd be fine with that. I don't like touchscreens anyway.
Old 12-18-20, 07:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think they made some nice improvements to the LS, but honestly, that screen is such a negative to me that if I were looking right now, I'd most likely go for a pre-refreshed model. I really like the way the screen is integrated into the pre-refresh, and I've never really understood the angst over the touchpad, so I'd be fine with that. I don't like touchscreens anyway.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I actually like the pre refresh styling, but that alone wouldn't drive me to the pre-refresh, that tablet is just a deal killer for me. They took a beautiful interior and just killed it with that IMO

Pre refresh:

Refresh:

Just yack.
Old 12-18-20, 08:09 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The bezel is a huge thing though. No issue with the touchscreen, but the half assed way they designed it into the dash is terrible. They should have totally redesigned the dash to accommodate it instead of just filling in the old screen and tacking that on.

This is a very expensive car, and I just can't spend that much money on a car and be confronted with something all the time that I find so ugly, not when every other car in the segment is beautiful inside with no such tacked on nonsense.
Don`t why they felt the need to incorporate the bezel all the way to the clock and not embed the clock somewhere else. But again I guess the trunk money will take car of that.
Old 12-18-20, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Don`t why they felt the need to incorporate the bezel all the way to the clock and not embed the clock somewhere else. But again I guess the trunk money will take car of that.
Me either. It truly does just look phoned in.
Old 12-18-20, 09:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Yeah, I feel the same way. I actually like the pre refresh styling, but that alone wouldn't drive me to the pre-refresh, that tablet is just a deal killer for me. They took a beautiful interior and just killed it with that IMO

Pre refresh:

Refresh:

Just yack.
I think the pre and post just look terrible, dull, not very luxurious, cost cut, and are annoying to use at least with the pre refresh. I have never heard anyone really call that interior beautiful, it is just such a disappointment to me and a total deal killer, when I sat in it, it just felt cold and plain, no way would I want to spend time in it. I think the LS460 looks so much better, warmer, more intuitive to use, more luxurious looking. I am more old school, a Bentley interior is beautiful to me. Just give me physical buttons, dials, switches instead of all this annoying touchscreen crap.
Old 12-18-20, 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I prefer the interior of the LS460 but I still have always thought the design of the 500s interior was beautiful, excellent materials. Like someone else posted above, a lot of it depends on colors and trim.
Old 12-18-20, 09:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I think the (pre-refresh) LS500 interior is beautiful too. I was very impressed when I checked it out in person. Materials were fantastic, design was modern, and seats were wonderful.
Old 12-18-20, 10:37 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
, a Bentley interior is beautiful to me. Just give me physical buttons, dials, switches instead of all this annoying touchscreen crap.
Yep 100%......and wood. LS500 has a little but not nearly enough. I want lots of wood in my car.

Old 12-18-20, 11:25 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

It's not just the bezel that makes it look less thought-out, but also the removal of the backlit pattern on the passenger's side. It may have been gimmicky, but it contributed a lot to the overall character of the interior, like the Rolls Royce starlight headliner. And since this car has no interior ambient lighting, this pattern was the one lighting aspect that made it stand out from the Germans.

Quick Reply: 2021 LS500 arrives with new looks, self driving tech