Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 LS500 arrives with new looks, self driving tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 09:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Looks like that heated seat button only pulls up the menu on the infotainment screen, and doesn't necessarily activate the seat heaters....
If true, that might be the dumbest use of a hard button ever.
Old 07-08-20, 09:53 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
If true, that might be the dumbest use of a hard button ever.
Agree. Stunned that lexus even made a video on how to use the seats. in 4 easy steps!! haha. Worst case scenario, this does as discussed, just brings up the seating menu. Best case scenario, it would turn the heated/ventilated seats on, with easily customizable temperature ranges on which to do, i.e. when above ____ temp, do ventilated, when below _____ temp, heat and turn on wheel. With added variability accessible through the original menu.

Old 07-08-20, 10:18 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im all for better self driving tech, but they couldn't have found a way to do it without creating that ugly black sensor on the side and front grill? Tesla camera sensors are well integrated, and Mercedes was able to get around it with out apparent modifications to body panels, ands till has a very comprehensive self driving car. Unless this is ready for full self driving, like level 4 when it comes out, this seems like they should have spent more money on integration aesthetics.
Apparently it's using LiDAR, which would be impressive if true since Lexus would be the first to put it in a commercial vehicle. However, I see no point when the press release is quick to kill any notion of this being an autonomous vehicle, nevermind level 4.
Old 07-08-20, 10:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
When it gets a V8tt, then you add the vents. As it is right now, just get a pop can tailpipe to compliment the side vents. If you can't get to 60 mph in under 6 seconds, then those vents must be for all the hot air that's being blown around here, lol.
Yeah about that 6 seconds 0-60....I know it's CR and they usually get slower numbers. But per them this LS500 is barely any faster than a 1998-00 LS400 or LS430, lol. I'll leave the .3-.4 seconds and be slower enjoying the smoothest V8 ever made, personally.
Old 07-08-20, 10:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
I agree - but I think hard for Lexus (or Toyota) to justify "scrapping" their $$$ already invested in this new LS when the market (if they get it right) won't justify the extra cost. Outside of the first LS400, many have not compared the S-class to the LS since so Lexus should know they are pretty far behind as it is. I believe Toyota/Lexus are putting their $$ and focus on EV's and Hybrids so a comprehensive revamp on a low-volume sedan may not be top of their list.

Maybe they could afford to get the LS500 wrong, but they certainly can't afford to mess up the new Land Cruiser/LX/LQ where consumers are buying SUV's...
They can always make the LS a technological showcase, even if it doesnt sell in volume. Nothing wrong with getting people to pay to test new tech for you. As is right now, its just a really cramped big sedan.
Old 07-09-20, 12:10 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the new headlights with the DRL integrated into the headlights though.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
......adding extra vents will not increase anyone’s desire for
this car. I said it before, this should have been a GS not an LS.
I agree. I also think this LS generation's fastback design would've been great for a GS.
Old 07-09-20, 07:10 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

"One feature of Lexus Teammate is Advanced Drive, which is designed for highway driving. According to Lexus, this feature can relieve the driver of having to use the accelerator, brakes, and steering on stretches of road without pedestrians and cyclists, including where there are lane splits and lane changes necessary, though the driver still needs to be alert and ready to take over in case of an emergency.

Another handy feature is Advanced Park. This feature handles the steering, acceleration, braking and gear changes required for parking, and presents the driver with a 360-degree view of the surroundings for easy monitoring."

These features sound a lot like Distronic Plus with Steering Assist, and Parktronic with Active Parking Assist that are on my 2015 S550.
Old 07-12-20, 12:29 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Guess we can throw out the "level 5 autonomy" speculation when Toyota has confirmed Teammate is only level 2. It does use LiDAR though, as predicted.

https://www.autonews.com/technology/...vel-automation

I don't understand why they put in all this effort into using LiDAR if all they were able to achieve is level 2. Level 2 is about where the Germans and now Genesis are at using more conventional sensors.
Old 07-12-20, 12:33 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Guess we can throw out the "level 5 autonomy" speculation when Toyota has confirmed Teammate is only level 2. It does use LiDAR though, as predicted.

https://www.autonews.com/technology/...vel-automation

I don't understand why they put in all this effort into using LiDAR if all they were able to achieve is level 2. Level 2 is about where the Germans and now Genesis are at using more conventional sensors.
My guess is that they are trying to future proof this vehicle in some way to push updates in the future when higher levels of autonomy are ready. In addition, many people believe that LiDAR is the only way to achieve full autonomy, so even using LiDAR now will help Toyota/Lexus better understand and develop self driving at Level 5. If they used solely cameras and proximity sensors for Levels 1-4, and then needed to switch to LiDAR just for level 5, they wouldn't be able to get the many many years of free beta testing in real world conditions.
Old 07-12-20, 01:26 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by sniip3r
most people will think that those are vents.

lol!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-20, 02:14 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

There are some positive changes in this very mild refresh. Unfortunately, the screen is one of the most visible, and they blew it on that one. Looks very dated with the thick bezel and weird shape. Also, unfortunately, they needed more than a step in the right direction. They needed something like this in the right direction.

Old 07-12-20, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

That screen....my god how hideous. The exterior changes are standard facelift fare, I think the pre-refresh looked better but they wouldn't keep me from getting one. That screen though, truly horrible.

Glad to hear about the quietness and ride updates. I think they can make this car ride and drive the way an LS should with suspension changes.
Old 07-12-20, 04:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That screen....my god how hideous. The exterior changes are standard facelift fare, I think the pre-refresh looked better but they wouldn't keep me from getting one. That screen though, truly horrible.

Glad to hear about the quietness and ride updates. I think they can make this car ride and drive the way an LS should with suspension changes.
I hope so, but I'm not so sure. The engineering went into it being a "sporty car," that whole platform its based on. Yes they can adjust and tinker with things which hopefully will help, but I doubt the 500 will ever be the plushmobiles old LSs were. Lipstick on a pig. It wasn't engineered to be a plushmobile; they're just modifying it now after 3 years because everyone hates it. Nothing will make that back seat any bigger, either.

I hope you're right though, you can let us know if you drive one.
Old 07-12-20, 04:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Have you actually driven one? Its not THAT dramatic. Softer dampers, revised adaptive tuning will have a big impact, ditching the run flats will have a big impact too. True, nothing can make the interior room bigger.

You have always been able to buy softer riding cars than the LS. Its never ridden like a Town Car or a Fleetwood or something like that, its always had a firmness to it, a more European ride. What set the LS apart was how super refined it has always been and how nothing you ran over ever seemed to really bother you. Its not that you ran over things and felt nothing. The 430 is the wallowiest version of the LS, but the 400 wasn't that way and nor was the 460. The 500 is just a little bit too firm and lacks a refinement that the previous LS sedans had. You can engineer that back in.
Old 07-12-20, 06:47 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

I think this refresh was a step in the right direction but the new screen looks awful.

Quick Reply: 2021 LS500 arrives with new looks, self driving tech