Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Corolla Cross

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I see zero resemblance to a Corolla. This looks like a miniaturized Highlander. Just capitalizing on a name is all
No different from what Mitsubishi did with the Eclipse Cross...there is certainly no resemblance to the old Eclipse sport-coupes.

Starting to get crowded in this little segment
Agreed, but, right now, that's where the money and demand is....especially in the U.S., though it is less-clear in Thailand, where this vehicle is going to be introduced.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-20 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 04:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I was expecting the Corolla Wagon with black plastic cladding and a raised suspension. This is very lame.

It doesn't even offer AWD? Smh.
Old 07-09-20, 04:40 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Who's going to buy the UX if this thing comes to the States?
Do you think the dealer experience and service at the Toyota dealer is the same as the Lexus dealer? If they are the same for you, I want to go to your Toyota dealer! LOL.
Old 07-09-20, 04:53 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
When will we be moving away from massive front overhangs? Isn't it apparent to manufacturers by now that people find such a feature wholly unattractive? Maybe I spend too much time in these blog sites.
I think you vastly overestimate how much normal people care. It is a vocal minority of enthusiasts who dislike large front overhangs. The average Corolla buyer (or potential Corolla Cross buyer) doesn’t care at all.
Old 07-10-20, 07:36 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
Do you think the dealer experience and service at the Toyota dealer is the same as the Lexus dealer? If they are the same for you, I want to go to your Toyota dealer! LOL.
I assume at the higher end of Cross and a base UX buyer might have a tough time. However a base cross buyer or a higher spec UX buyer wont ever cross paths. Is the dealership experience that high for the majority of folks is anyones guess?

This cross competition exists in almost every TGNA cross platform competition exists in TMC nowdays. Rav4/NX Highlander/RX Avalon/ES.
Old 07-10-20, 08:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
When will we be moving away from massive front overhangs? Isn't it apparent to manufacturers by now that people find such a feature wholly unattractive?
perhaps it's a necessary outcome of the TNGA platform and components?

like you, i hate large front overhangs with the tiny distance from back of front wheel opening to front door.

Who's going to buy the UX if this thing comes to the States?
Originally Posted by tex2670
Ummm...everyone in california who's too much of snob to own a mere Toyota. Which is lots of people.
fixed that for you

Originally Posted by geko29
I think you vastly overestimate how much normal people care. It is a vocal minority of enthusiasts who dislike large front overhangs. The average Corolla buyer (or potential Corolla Cross buyer) doesn’t care at all.
agreed. i honestly think at this point toyota could make a square box with wheels and it would sell like hotcakes.

Old 07-10-20, 10:17 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No different from what Mitsubishi did with the Eclipse Cross...there is certainly no resemblance to the old Eclipse sport-coupes.
Is that where Toyota would want to be? Comparing themselves to Mitsubishi?
Old 07-10-20, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Is that where Toyota would want to be? Comparing themselves to Mitsubishi?
Well, to answer that question, you'd have to ask the Toyota marketers, not me. They were the ones that came up with more the same practice, here, that Mitsubishi did wth the Eclipse Cross. Of course, Mitsubishi wasn't the first company to do it, either....there are a number of previous examples as well. And look what Ford just did by naming an all-electric crossover monstrosity the Mustang Mach-E LOL.
Old 07-10-20, 06:41 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

okay, so i was watching a video on this vehicle earlier and i REALLY like the way this thing looks. i like it more than i like the way the rav-4 looks and that's saying something because i really like the rav-4. also, the ux is an embarrassment of a car and something styled like this should have entered the lexus entry-level lineup. that said, the new venza should have also been a lexus model. toyota is letting lexus stagnate way too long.
Old 07-10-20, 09:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Between this, the rav4, and the venza, talk about an avalanche of similar product to try to bury the competition.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 07-10-20 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 09:22 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Between this, the rav4, and the venza, talk about an avalanche of similar product to try to bury the competition.
(sorry, I meant to quote you)

just like bmw's x0, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7, x8, x9
Old 07-11-20, 11:32 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
With a Toyota or Lexus product, what are the chances of you visiting the dealer that often? Also, millions of people buy Toyota products vs a few hundred thousand of Lexus products. By your logic, everyone should just buy Lexus because of dealer experience.
Old 07-11-20, 11:36 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Ummm...everyone who's too much of snob to own a mere Toyota. Which is lots of people.
Sorry the UX is just mediocre and practically no one buys it, so I guess there arent as many snobs as you think there are. BMW and MB owners, yes bunch of snobs.
Old 07-11-20, 11:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Sorry the UX is just mediocre and practically no one buys it, so I guess there arent as many snobs as you think there are. BMW and MB owners, yes bunch of snobs.
What?! I have a BMW and I'm not a snob. Honest...
Old 07-11-20, 11:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That doesn't mean that people cross-shop Lexus and Toyota. That just means they all go buy another lux brand.

Quick Reply: Toyota Corolla Cross