Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Corolla Cross

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 02:48 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
What?! I have a BMW and I'm not a snob. Honest...
I'll throw my name in this pile. If I was a snob, I'd wash my car more than once a year so I could impress people with it. But I really don't care, so I don't.
Old 07-11-20, 03:23 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

you know how we look back at the station wagon era of the 60s-70s and shake our heads?

I wonder when the same will happen with these hideous jacked up "SUVs"

All these suvs are gross looking, and I'm honestly starting to get a sick feeling when I look at all these tiny small medium raised wagons with ugly proportions.

Last edited by pman6; 07-11-20 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-12-20, 09:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
That doesn't mean that people cross-shop Lexus and Toyota. That just means they all go buy another lux brand.
People will cross shop products in the same price range.
Old 07-12-20, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
you know how we look back at the station wagon era of the 60s-70s and shake our heads?
I shake my head because I miss them.

All these suvs are gross looking, and I'm honestly starting to get a sick feeling when I look at all these tiny small medium raised wagons with ugly proportions.
It's a rather extreme case, though, to use the Pontiac Aztek as an example. The Aztek was a clear case of Apples and Apples.......it was ugly even by the standards of the 1990s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-12-20 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-12-20, 02:29 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
With a Toyota or Lexus product, what are the chances of you visiting the dealer that often? Also, millions of people buy Toyota products vs a few hundred thousand of Lexus products. By your logic, everyone should just buy Lexus because of dealer experience.
By your logic, no one should buy a Lexus, because it's the same as a Toyota. More people buy Toyota so it must be better. So is everyone wrong for buying a Lexus? Is there no additional benefit? Turn out the lights Clublexus, Situman said it doesn't need to exist. Please migrate to the Toyota forum...LOL.

Last edited by Frog98; 07-13-20 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-18-21, 08:48 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Corolla Cross now expected to be offered in the U.S. To be built at the joint Mazda plant in Alabama

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concep...-corolla-cross
Old 05-18-21, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6

I wonder when the same will happen with these hideous jacked up "SUVs"

To some extent, though, apples and oranges. Part of what killed off big wagons 40 years ago was the fact that vehicles just as roomy inside were developed that were much smaller and more maneuverable on the outside.....AKA minivans. Drivers also liked the fact the at the higher seating positions also helped visibility. Traffic (and parking) conditions today are simply not suited any longer to the Country Squires, Estate Wagons, and Custom-Cruisers that Baby-Boomers like me grew up with. That is one reason why I felt that even my Lacrosse was simply too large and bulky for the conditions I had to regularly deal with, and got a small Encore GX instead.
Old 05-18-21, 11:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Corolla Cross now expected to be offered in the U.S. To be built at the joint Mazda plant in Alabama

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concep...-corolla-cross
paywall.
Old 05-19-21, 06:48 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Here's a public article

https://www.motor1.com/news/507923/t...ross-us-spied/
Old 05-19-21, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

is this is going to be called the corolla cross, then maybe the rav4 should be the camry cross?
Old 05-19-21, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
is this is going to be called the corolla cross, then maybe the rav4 should be the camry cross?
....and, name-speaking, don't forget the original "cross".....the VEHI-cross, from Isuzu.

Old 05-19-21, 11:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You sure are right. I think a Camry Cross will happen.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-19-21 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-21-21, 03:13 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Ummm...everyone who's too much of snob to own a mere Toyota. Which is lots of people.
I own two Toyotas and two Lexus vehicles. Does this make me half-a-snob, snobbish, or just bi-polar? I've sampled many other brands in my life, but found both of these easy to work on, and not needing much work. There's something the BMW and MB snobs can't say!

My son drives a Matrix and I could easily see him graduating to this Corolla Cross.
Old 06-02-21, 08:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Officially debuted. https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/02/...-cross-reveal/

No mention of a hybrid variant at the moment.

The seemingly inevitable has happened, the 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross is coming to the United States. The country's insatiable appetite for crossovers of all sizes, so it was only natural to slide this model underneath the RAV4 and above the C-HR into the niche we've come to call the "in-betweener" segment for lack of a better term. And as the name would imply, it is basically a Corolla underneath, but made bigger and more aggressive looking.

You can see the frowning front and more upright shape, but harder to see is the size increase compared to the Corolla it's based on. It's 3.6 inches longer, 1.4 inches wider and 7.7 inches taller than a Corolla Hatchback. It also boasts 3 more inches of ground clearance. This also translates to another inch or two of head, leg and shoulder room for passengers front and rear, as well as a bit more cargo space. Depending on whether you get your Corolla Cross with a sunroof, it will have either 24.3 cubic feet or 25.5 of cargo space, which is just a little less than the Kia Seltos. The Corolla Hatchback has 17.8 cubic feet as standard, and 23 when optioned with a tire inflation kit instead of a spare tire. Additionally, the Corolla Cross is rated for 1,500 pounds of towing.

As we touched on, the Corolla Cross makes use of the regular Corolla's platform, but with a few distinct changes. You can't get it with the Corolla's 1.8-liter engine. Rather, it is only available with the naturally aspirated 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine making 169 horsepower and 150 pound-feet of torque. It's also only paired with a CVT. That powertrain can be paired with either front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. The former gets a unique torsion beam rear suspension instead of the independent, multi-link setup of the all-wheel-drive variant. Fuel economy is a bit worse than a Corolla Hatchback. Toyota estimates 32 mpg combined for front-wheel drive, and 30 mpg for all-wheel drive. That's better than the Seltos and Mazda CX-30, but obviously worse than the 35 mpg achieved by the CVT-equipped Corolla Hatchback.

The 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross goes on sale this year. Pricing hasn't been announced, but we would expect it to land somewhere between the roughly $22,000 C-HR and the $27,000 RAV4. It will be available in three trim levels, L, LE and XLE, and come standard with a 7-inch infotainment screen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, lane-keep assist and departure warning, automatic high-beam headlights and road sign recognition. Various optional features include automatic climate control, sunroof, power seats, front seat heating, power liftgate, parking assist and blind-spot monitoring.
Old 06-02-21, 10:45 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Officially debuted. https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/02/...-cross-reveal/

No mention of a hybrid variant at the moment.
Pleasant and mild styling, but don't care for the black bumpers.
Overall a very solid offering that will appeal to the masses. However, not offering a hybrid or electric option out of the gate is a missed opportunity.

Quick Reply: Toyota Corolla Cross