Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Corolla Cross

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I was behind one of these last trip. From a distance I saw Toyota logo. I thought they updated the Rav4. I had to speed up to find out it was a Corolla Cross. First encounter. Nice little car for a specific group.
Yes, I agree....their profiles/outlines are quite similar. In fact, to be honest, I had some brief eye-mix-ups myself on the Toyota lot yesterday, trying to separate the RAV-4s from the Corolla Crosses. The Crosses were a little smaller (not much) and with slightly lower rooflines.
Old 02-10-22, 03:08 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Corolla Cross is softer looking like the Highlander. The RAV4 is more rugged looking like the 4Runner.
Old 02-10-22, 03:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Was it getting much crowd-attention at the show? Seems like people who aren't looking for a lot of frills, appreciate drivetrain-reliability (although these CVT transmissions may not last as long as conventional automatics), and want something reasonably-priced and versatile, would be taking a decent look at it. Although it (probably) lacks the kind of Buick sound-insulation that the Encore GX has, and definitely lacks the Buick trim and plushness inside, it is arguably the best competition I've seen yet to the Trailblazer/Encore GX, though a little larger than the GM products, and also probably not quite as nimble or easy-parking. I guessing on the road-manners because I did not actually test-drive it.
No, cars like that never get much attention.
Old 02-10-22, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, cars like that never get much attention.

Although it was some time ago, people went ape-**** over the first RAV-4 when it was introduced to the American market in 1996/97. Toyota dealerships were charging over list. Even today, it is easily in the Top Ten in sales. We saw a lot of the same attention when Subaru introduced the Outback and Honda the CR-V.
Old 02-10-22, 03:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Although it was some time ago, people went ape-**** over the first RAV-4 when it was introduced to the American market in 1996/97. Toyota dealerships were charging over list. Even today, it is easily in the Top Ten in sales. We saw a lot of the same attention when Subaru introduced the Outback and Honda the CR-V.
Rav-4 is different, thats a little SUV that was cool, this is just a Corolla with body cladding.
Old 02-10-22, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Rav-4 is different, thats a little SUV that was cool, this is just a Corolla with body cladding.

Underneath, the RAV-4 was still a car-based crossover, like the Corolla Cross. The only real difference is that the Corolla Cross sits a little lower, has only a 5-door version unlike the original RAV-4's 3-door / 5-door, stores the spare tire inside instead of the hatch-lid, and has a little more room inside for a small family.
Old 02-10-22, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Underneath, the RAV-4 was still a car-based crossover, like the Corolla Cross. The only real difference is that the Corolla Cross sits a little lower, has only a 5-door version unlike the original RAV-4's 3-door / 5-door, stores the spare tire inside instead of the hatch-lid, and has a little more room inside for a small family.
And? Perception is everything.
Old 02-11-22, 08:46 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
Corolla Cross is softer looking like the Highlander. The RAV4 is more rugged looking like the 4Runner.
Yeah you're right. The RAV4 has become more like 4Runner now. It used to be round and smooth. It was quite good looking when it first came out IMO. Speaking of this... I do feel a bit now when some say they like the old round smooth designs on some of Toyota/Lexus cars.
Old 02-11-22, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And? Perception is everything.
Not quite to the extent that you seem to be placing it. There are still a number people who appreciate function over form.

While one can't predict hard numbers, especially in this pandemic and the production/computer-chip shortage, personally, I think, in general, that this vehicle (the Corolla Cross) is going to do very well in the market pace, and will easily sell in whatever numbers it can be (reasonably) produced in to satisfy demand. It stands posed to make a noticeable dent in RAV-4, CR-V, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Compass, and possibly even Nissan Rogue / Rogue-Sport sales.
Old 02-12-22, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not quite to the extent that you seem to be placing it. There are still a number people who appreciate function over form.
My career serving the public tells me otherwise, but okay lol

While one can't predict hard numbers, especially in this pandemic and the production/computer-chip shortage, personally, I think, in general, that this vehicle (the Corolla Cross) is going to do very well in the market pace, and will easily sell in whatever numbers it can be (reasonably) produced in to satisfy demand. It stands posed to make a noticeable dent in RAV-4, CR-V, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Compass, and possibly even Nissan Rogue / Rogue-Sport sales.
It will do very well, but as basic transportation...its not going to have a cult following like the Rav-4 does. People aren't going to look at that and think "SUV", and an "SUV" is what they want while this is what they need. Want wins over need.
Old 02-12-22, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My career serving the public tells me otherwise, but okay lol
You help sell real estate, not cars, for a living. I worked in aviation and related subjects for a living. But, yes, you can (and do) give new-car-buying advice and help, just as I do.

It will do very well, but as basic transportation...its not going to have a cult following like the Rav-4 does.
The (current-generation) RAV-4 may look slightly more rugged on the outside, with its more-scowling grille and two-tone roof, but underneath, they are very similar car-based crossovers....essentially raised-station-wagons with AWD. As far as I'm concerned, they are both all-weather basic transportation on dry pavement with some very mild off-roading. To get a true off-roadSUV in the Toyota American-market line, one needs to look at a 4Runner, or, (if they can afford one with its price tag) the Land Cruiser, until it is discontinued in favor of the Lexus LX.
Old 02-12-22, 10:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You help sell real estate, not cars, for a living. I worked in aviation and related subjects for a living. But, yes, you can (and do) give new-car-buying advice and help, just as I do.
Sales is sales. Peoples buying behavior when shopping for a home is very similar to when shopping for a car. People buy their wants WAY more than they buy their needs. That’s just sales 101. If you SOLD planes, then you would have some experience with sales.

The (current-generation) RAV-4 may look slightly more rugged on the outside, with its more-scowling grille and two-tone roof, but underneath, they are very similar car-based crossovers....essentially raised-station-wagons with AWD. As far as I'm concerned, they are both all-weather basic transportation on dry pavement with some very mild off-roading. To get a true off-roadSUV in the Toyota American-market line, one needs to look at a 4Runner, or, (if they can afford one with its price tag) the Land Cruiser, until it is discontinued in favor of the Lexus LX.
Doesnt matter. That look is all that matters to them, and that’s what they want.

They will continue to sell WAY more Rav 4s than Corolla Crosses…

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-12-22 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-12-22, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They will continue to sell WAY more Rav 4s than Corolla Crosses…
That remains to be seen, although I will agree that the RAV-4 is indeed a vehicle that a lot of people buy out of habit. But, until now, it has not faced the kind of competition, under the same Toyota nameplate, that the Corolla-Cross represents.

To some extent, it is similar to (but not exactly) like the situation you have at Jeep, with the Compass taking at least some of the sales that the (cult-like) Cherokee would otherwise be getting.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-12-22 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-12-22, 01:39 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

...the RAV-4 is indeed a vehicle that a lot of people buy out of habit. But, until now, it has not faced the kind of competition, under the same Toyota nameplate, that the Corolla-Cross represents.
With high inflation in food, fuel, shelter, and other fallout from the pandemic, lower income folks will be looking for the least expensive vehicle that meets their needs. Assuming we don't pull out of the economic doldrums we're in anytime soon, I could see the Cross outselling the RAV in the future. It's not a better choice, it's simply a more affordable choice.
Old 02-12-22, 01:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That remains to be seen, although I will agree that the RAV-4 is indeed a vehicle that a lot of people buy out of habit. But, until now, it has not faced the kind of competition, under the same Toyota nameplate, that the Corolla-Cross represents.

To some extent, it is similar to (but not exactly) like the situation you have at Jeep, with the Compass taking at least some of the sales that the (cult-like) Cherokee would otherwise be getting.
The the Corolla Cross outsells the Rav 4, I will buy you one. It wont even be close. (and you don't have to tell me you can buy one for yourself, I know that lol)

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
With high inflation in food, fuel, shelter, and other fallout from the pandemic, lower income folks will be looking for the least expensive vehicle that meets their needs. Assuming we don't pull out of the economic doldrums we're in anytime soon, I could see the Cross outselling the RAV in the future. It's not a better choice, it's simply a more affordable choice.
We have high inflation but we aren't anywhere near "economic doldrums", in fact the economy is doing extremely well. Lower income folks like you mention aren't buying new cars anyways.

Quick Reply: Toyota Corolla Cross