Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Corolla Cross

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 01:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As for it being "underwhelming"...what vehicle in that segment is "overwhelming"?!
mazdas? ....
Old 02-14-22, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mazdas? ....
They're nice, but I wouldn't call them amazing.
Old 02-14-22, 01:13 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They're nice, but I wouldn't call them amazing.
I'm not looking to be "amazed" by a small economy cross over; but "That's a nice little car" is a start.

Admittedly, in this class, there may be a different reaction to seeing an entry-level model vs. a top of the line version.... I don't see any RAV4 LEs and think, "Oh that's nice", but I do when I see a Limited.
Old 02-14-22, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not looking to be "amazed" by a small economy cross over; but "That's a nice little car" is a start.

Admittedly, in this class, there may be a different reaction to seeing an entry-level model vs. a top of the line version.... I don't see any RAV4 LEs and think, "Oh that's nice", but I do when I see a Limited.
That was exactly what I said when I saw and sat in the new Corolla Cross, "thats a nice little car"
Old 02-15-22, 05:37 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Savagegeese has his review up, and his one major positive is that the Cross has an independent rear suspension which is unheard of in this class consisting primarily of torsion beams like what's found in the Kia Soul and Mazda CX-30. Ironic that one of the cheapest Toyota products gets independent rear suspension while the far more expensive LX and Sequoia have a solid axle.

Old 02-15-22, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Savagegeese has his review up, and his one major positive is that the Cross has an independent rear suspension which is unheard of in this class consisting primarily of torsion beams like what's found in the Kia Soul and Mazda CX-30. Ironic that one of the cheapest Toyota products gets independent rear suspension while the far more expensive LX and Sequoia have a solid axle.
Simple. The LX and Sequoia are designed to carry heavy loads and tow things. Live real axles are generally more durable under heavy-duty conditions.
Old 02-15-22, 08:07 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple. The LX and Sequoia are designed to carry heavy loads and tow things. Live real axles are generally more durable under heavy-duty conditions.
The last Sequoia had an independent rear suspension and both the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator, both BOF, also have IRS. Being BOF is no longer an excuse to not have an IRS. The LX and Sequoia simply don't have them because it's cheaper, and probably a limitation of the TNGA-F platform. We've had a long topic about this so I won't rehash that.
Old 02-15-22, 11:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

interesting, from savagegeese video, notes that only the awd version gets independent rear suspension, the fwd gets rear torsion beam.
Old 02-15-22, 12:32 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the power of the comma i read that as: "No cars like that ever get much attention."
Indeed. My personal favorite example of the importance of the comma is "Let's eat, Grandma"
Old 02-15-22, 01:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota themselves said the new Sequoia has a live axle specifically to save production costs.
Old 02-15-22, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota themselves said the new Sequoia has a live axle specifically to save production costs.
In some ways, yes, it is cheaper to produce. But it also has a somewhat better element of durability. That's one reason why Ford held on to Mustang live-axles for so long in the non-Cobra versions...they knew that the young kids that bought the GT Mustangs were addicted to Friday-Night burnouts, and having a live axle reduced the amount of rear ends that had to be rebuilt after failure. The Cobra, SVT, Boss, Mach 1, and some of the other upmarket Mustangs were generally bought by those who were a little older and more mature, and less-likely to get abused in drag-races....they got the IRS for better handling.
Old 02-16-22, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In some ways, yes, it is cheaper to produce. But it also has a somewhat better element of durability. That's one reason why Ford held on to Mustang live-axles for so long in the non-Cobra versions...they knew that the young kids that bought the GT Mustangs were addicted to Friday-Night burnouts, and having a live axle reduced the amount of rear ends that had to be rebuilt after failure. The Cobra, SVT, Boss, Mach 1, and some of the other upmarket Mustangs were generally bought by those who were a little older and more mature, and less-likely to get abused in drag-races....they got the IRS for better handling.
No....Toyota themselves said it was done in an effort to cut costs. This is not my opinion, the designer and manufacturer of the vehicle said this, that is why they went back to a live rear axle. They did it so they could more easily build Sequoias and Tundras on the same line at a reduced cost.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-16-22 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-16-22, 07:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Toyota is just being cheap. There is no real justification for the Lexus LX or the Sequoia to have a live axle and this point. None. Especially when you view the way Toyota is marketing the Lexus LX. You could definitely argue the merits for having a live axle on the Land Cruiser. The durability elements is incorrect and wrong as the outgoing Sequoia already had a IRS and the design was certainly up to the task as if you compare the outing Sequoia to the outgoing LX the performance of the IRS was the same..it would cost Toyota more to design an IRS for the Sequoia which further supports the cost cutting reasons. Ford, GM, as well as NISSAN all have IRS and Toyota used to, so Toyota definitely could have done it. what would I rather have? I'd prefer a solid axle. I love the way my 4Runners drive. They drive with a feel that is strong and firm yet they do not drive like a car which is what I do not wan. . This Sequoia will not be too successful as the price is gonna be too high partly because of the added costs of electrification as well as inflation in general, but Toyota will figure out a way for the short term. Toyota actually. said they were thinking of cancelling the Sequoia from the view point of Toyota Japan which pretty much tells you it is very likely a mistake. The right thing to do what have been to release a full line up of Land Crusiers in the United States. The styling of the Sequoia is quite lovely

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-16-22 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-16-22, 07:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota is just being cheap.

There is no real justification for the Lexus LX or the Sequoia to have a live axle and this point. None.
They are both designed to do work, like larger pick-up trucks. How many full-size pick-ups, even the smooth-riding Dodge Ram with its coil-springs, do you see with IRS? Answer: 0

In fact, some of the heavier-duty pick-ups have live axles on both front and rear.

And, as far as being cheap, IMO, Toyota generally shows a lot more of that in their interiors (including the thread-topic Corolla Cross) than in the underpinnings.

I love the way my 4Runners drive. They drive with a feel that is strong and firm yet they do not drive like a car which is what I do not want.
Look underneath a 4Runner, and that is exactly what you will see.....a traditional live-axle. That's one reason (among several) why they last for 300,000 miles...and why you probably won't be replacing yours anytime soon.

On a slightly different note, it's interesting to see that they still have the SR-5 trim-level on the 4Runner....that name goes back to the late 70s, and has been around for decades. Many other Toyota models have ditched that name .
Old 02-16-22, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not about being "cheap" its about being economical. Toyota said they were going to cancel the Sequoia, the move to a live axle in the rear so that they could reduce tooling costs and build it on the same suspension as the Tundra was part of how they were able to justify keeping it in the lineup. The live axle on the Tundra and even the Land Cruiser makes sense. The LX and Sequoia should be IRS, but that increases cost and neither car is a huge seller.

Quick Reply: Toyota Corolla Cross