Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts/Opinions on extended warranties!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 05:02 PM
AznGunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts/Opinions on extended warranties!

I'm trying to get a Lexus within the 4yr/50k miles and extend with the Lexus Platinum warranty....but I'm coming across more vehicle options that are just outside the factory warranty. What are peoples thoughts on extended warranties with CarChex, CarShield and Endurance? I spoke with a rep by phone and only difference sounded like a deductible of $100 max.....anybody have experience or recommendations? TIA!
Old 07-09-20, 05:14 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

what model lexus are you looking to get? certain models will likely use a warranty where others you will likely be fine without one. being a lexus forum you have a plethora of resources to see if a particular model is susceptible to warranty claims (which should indicate if you should add an extended warranty).
Old 07-09-20, 05:15 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I personally would never consider anything other than a manufacturer extended warranty. I haven’t done the research recently, but typically among the 10 largest 3rd party warranty companies on date X, zero are still in business at date X + 10 years.
Old 07-09-20, 07:38 PM
AznGunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
what model lexus are you looking to get? certain models will likely use a warranty where others you will likely be fine without one. being a lexus forum you have a plethora of resources to see if a particular model is susceptible to warranty claims (which should indicate if you should add an extended warranty).

I'm looking for an RC350
Old 07-10-20, 01:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

No need for any extended warranty on any Lexus. Big waste of money. Lexus's and Toyotas are the most reliable vehicles on earth.
It's also been proven the majority of people who buy extended warranties never get their money out of them. They are design to be money makers, not help the general public. Do not fall for any sales pitch. They are security scare tactics.
Old 07-10-20, 07:10 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

As you have seen, extended warranties are a personal choice. While not Lexus, I have had extended AcuraCare warranties on two MDXs, principally for the technology. One (a 2005) I did not use, but got a prorated refund when I traded it, while the other (a 2011) more than paid for itself, but for mechanical issues, not tech (and I still got a prorated refund when I traded it as well). Last MDXs have been leases so no need for warranty, but if I buy out my current lease I can still buy an AcuraCare warranty later.

Last year when I bought my S550 in a private transaction, it was out of original warranty so no MB extended warranty available. While the vehicle only had 6,200 mi, I plan to keep it long term and wanted protection. I had three MB dealers recommend a Fidelity Platinum warranty, which is the type that covers everything except....., which are basically maintenance items. I have already used it to replace the Dynamic Seat pneumatic pump, and a software reload to get the Touchpad operating (about $2k in charges). Dealer handled processing of claim with no issues.

So in your case, I would look at Fidelity. Pricing is based principally on the car's miles, but these warranties can be sold by any dealer that has a relationship with Fidelity, so there should be some pricing competition.
Fidelity Warranty Services

Last edited by wasjr; 07-10-20 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-10-20, 08:25 AM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AznGunner
I'm looking for an RC350
I have an RC350 and purchased it CPO just because of the peace of mind that a warranty gives me. While I agree that a warranty is a personal decision, I can tell you that the CPO warranty has already paid for itself with just a *single* repair.
Old 07-11-20, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
No need for any extended warranty on any Lexus. Big waste of money. Lexus's and Toyotas are the most reliable vehicles on earth.
It's also been proven the majority of people who buy extended warranties never get their money out of them. They are design to be money makers, not help the general public. Do not fall for any sales pitch. They are security scare tactics.
An extended warranty is really a vehicle repair insurance policy. Whether or not you buy one depends on your ability to self insure. If you are someone who can't put their hands on $2,000 for a repair, then maybe you want to get one. If you can...then maybe you don't.

Whether they make sense depends on the person and the car, and some Lexus vehicles are more complex than others. I wouldn't buy one for an ES, or an RX, or probably not an RC either, but for my LS with air suspension? Our an LX with hydraulic suspension? Thats another story entirely.
Old 07-11-20, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I wouldn't buy one for an ES, or an RX, or probably not an RC either, but for my LS with air suspension? Our an LX with hydraulic suspension? Thats another story entirely.
Why would you need it for the LS, when the regular factory BTB warranty is 4/50, and your typical lease-contract is 2-3 years?...unless you buy it out and keep it long-term.
Old 07-11-20, 07:06 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i wouldn't purchase a third-party warranty and i would opt for a manufacturer-backed extended warranty. one wouldn't think that there would be extensive repairs outside of the warranty period, but i had a second-generation IS350 (2008) that was my very first car ever that had major transmission problems necessitating a transmission repair at, like, 60k miles and shortly thereafter the navigation/infotainment system failed and the lexus platinum vsa covered the entire thing, paying for itself a number of times over. i've purchased two additional third-generation IS sedans since and both have had platinum lexus extended warranties purchased just for peace of mind's sake.

the rc350 should be bulletproof, buttttt my 2IS350 should have as well, so...
Old 07-11-20, 07:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why would you need it for the LS, when the regular factory BTB warranty is 4/50, and your typical lease-contract is 2-3 years?...unless you buy it out and keep it long-term.
If I were to keep it outside the warranty.