Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I dumped the Pacifica... for another Pacifica...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 06:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
I really like that Palisade! I'd prefer what it has feature wise vs. Telluride...including where it is made. I like the styling better also. I wouldn't go with that light color interior with your kids though. Heck, my blue jeans would turn them blue in no time.
Other than a digital instrument panel with the video monitor of the blind spot, what "feature" does the Palisade have that Telluride doesn't?
Old 07-13-20, 06:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
If you can't persuade on an SUV, is there any way to get a reasonable 2-year lease on one of these "less than ideal" minivans? So if you could suck up a current Sienna for only 2 years, by then the new models of the Sienna and Sedona would be out.
Possibly, that’s not a bad idea. Sienna leases aren’t great, but might be able to do that with an Odyssey, I will run the numbers.
Old 07-13-20, 06:47 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Other than a digital instrument panel with the video monitor of the blind spot, what "feature" does the Palisade have that Telluride doesn't?
PBM317 listed the differences of features on page 4 of this thread. Power third row seat, more adjustable lumbar support for driver on Limited model, key fob remote start (until the telluride gets it next year) were some he mentioned. He said the Palisade lacks folding power mirrors.

Last edited by Frog98; 07-13-20 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 11:01 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Possibly, that’s not a bad idea. Sienna leases aren’t great, but might be able to do that with an Odyssey, I will run the numbers.
What does she usually drive when the Pacifica is in for repairs? Another Pacifica as a loaner?

Maybe that's a good time to rent something else and let her drive it for a few days(or weeks) to see if she can live without a Pacifica.
Old 07-14-20, 08:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

She drives my LS.

I drive whatever Enterprise has. I've had Ram trucks, Nissan Versas... sometimes they have a Grand Caravan minivan.
Old 07-14-20, 11:56 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I am a bit partial but go try the top of the line Atlas (SEL 4motion Premium) , you may be pleasantly surprised! Now, I know the newer Paliside/ Telluride look to seem nicer, however they were't available when I leased my Atlas. I was also looking for similar space as you are, however tried my best to avoid jumping into a minivan. Don't judge me, but I was seriously considering the Subaru Ascent, and the test drive seemed to go okay but the service at the dealership was absolutely terrible!

I'm so glad it was because the same day I went over to checkout the Atlas and was treated very well by the dealership. They had a loaded model in the exact color and specs I wanted, so I took that car on the spot after test driving it. Thus far, it has been flawless, absolutely loves road trips and is built for it. There is so much great tech in mine, I was already dreading what to get after my lease is up.

Some of the things that stands out for me like I said is the tech.
  • You said your wife loves the auto parking feature, well this car has a pretty good one.
  • The top of the line Fender Audio has around 500watts and sounds excellent.
  • Decent surround sound camera system
  • Huge pano roof
  • A little under powered even for the 6 cylinder, but the tradeoff is good fuel economy. It also takes 87!
  • Full digital cockpit, kind of like a lower version of the Audi one
  • Solid feel, higher seating like a truck, doors close with a thump.
  • Handles "German" , pretty well imo for a large vehicle
  • Led headlights put out great lighting output
  • You also mentioned reliability- not one single issue so far.
  • You can opt for the captains chair or the bench 2nd row... I went for the captains as you can even go in and out of the third row in between the captains chair in the second row. Also makes for storage, and double as a seperator for kids so they dont fight lol.
  • Second row tilts forward, to let the occupants into the third row. I cannot tell you how import this is in a SUV! When you have car seats engaged, there is no need to remove it. It is one of our favorite features as many SUV's don't have it. It also allows for massive space to enter and exit the third row from.
  • Lastly and best part is that the space inside is HUGE! Even with the second row up, when I load things into the trunk and things may slide forward, I can barely reach inside to get it. There is simply no substitute for this massive amount of space, and once you get used to it, its hard to do without. I've hauled some massive things in our Atlas with ease. Fold all the seats down and the space is just ridiculous. Adults in the third row will also sit comfortable, especially with the second row captains, easily can stretch out legs on a long trip. Also the most decent room I've seen in an Suv with all seats up behind the third row in the trunk.
  • The 2021 got a slight refresh and it looks better imo.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-14-20, 12:18 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,275 Likes on 985 Posts

Looks nice. I wasn't aware of this model.
Old 07-14-20, 12:19 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Steve not to beat this up to death given you've stated Palisade has more inventory anyway, but a friend who bought the Telluride said:

Palisade
- Better looks
- Better brand/dealer experience

Telluride
- Better ride
- More room especially in the back (3rd row I assume?)

I'm sure you've considered these as points....looking on Edmunds, leasehckr and Odyforum, a 3 year lease on an Odyssey EX-L runs ~$400ish/month and that may not be an inexpensive way to go to "wait" for more viable options....or at least inventory to catch up with the Telluride/Palisade twins.
Old 07-14-20, 01:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Another Telluride option

2021 Kia Telluride Nightfall Edition

Source
Old 07-14-20, 01:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Steve not to beat this up to death given you've stated Palisade has more inventory anyway, but a friend who bought the Telluride said:

Palisade
- Better looks
- Better brand/dealer experience

Telluride
- Better ride
- More room especially in the back (3rd row I assume?)

I'm sure you've considered these as points....looking on Edmunds, leasehckr and Odyforum, a 3 year lease on an Odyssey EX-L runs ~$400ish/month and that may not be an inexpensive way to go to "wait" for more viable options....or at least inventory to catch up with the Telluride/Palisade twins.
FWIW, "better ride" is, of course subjective. I have not had the chance to drive either of these vehicles, but from what I read, the Palisade has a softer/more "luxurious" ride, while the Telluride is more sporty. So if I were in the market, I'd probably lean toward the Hyundai, because my wife would be the primary driver, and my guess (again without her driving the vehicles either) is that she'd prefer the softer ride.
Old 07-14-20, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I find they ride very similarly, which isn't a surprise.

I definitely will check out the Atlas too,
Old 07-14-20, 01:40 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

She drives my LS.

I drive whatever Enterprise has. I've had Ram trucks, Nissan Versas... sometimes they have a Grand Caravan minivan.
Versa lol? really. I had the misfortune to drive a 2018 Nissan Altima last year while my car was at the dealer for an update. BMW claimed all loaners were out so gave me that POS.
Horrible car, I curse the two days I had it in my possession. A 90's accord from memory drove superior than the Nissan. I can't believe so many people buys them as a primary transportation. I am not even talking about tech, just the driving dynamics and that abomination that is the CVT, we sure are spoiled to drive nice cars. Mainstream cars are garbage, well at least the Altima.
Old 07-14-20, 02:40 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I find they ride very similarly, which isn't a surprise.

I definitely will check out the Atlas too,
I really liked the Atlas rental I had last year.

That said, not sure how good VW's quality is these days.
Old 07-14-20, 03:05 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Like I said, I prefer the Palisade inside and out. So its not settling.
MotorTrend begs to differ in their side-by-side comparison... "First, we concede to the better styling of the Telluride—it's crisper, cleaner, and will remain a looker years down the line. The Palisade's exterior aesthetics are questionable today, which doesn't bode well for its long-term outlook." This echos my sentiment, but to each his own when it comes to styling.
Old 07-14-20, 03:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EXE46
Versa lol? really. I had the misfortune to drive a 2018 Nissan Altima last year while my car was at the dealer for an update. BMW claimed all loaners were out so gave me that POS.
Horrible car, I curse the two days I had it in my possession. A 90's accord from memory drove superior than the Nissan. I can't believe so many people buys them as a primary transportation. I am not even talking about tech, just the driving dynamics and that abomination that is the CVT, we sure are spoiled to drive nice cars. Mainstream cars are garbage, well at least the Altima.
Yeah Chrysler springs for a whole $35 a day lol. Sometimes they will have a loaner there, I got a god awful Jeep Compass last time.

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
MotorTrend begs to differ in their side-by-side comparison... "First, we concede to the better styling of the Telluride—it's crisper, cleaner, and will remain a looker years down the line. The Palisade's exterior aesthetics are questionable today, which doesn't bode well for its long-term outlook." This echos my sentiment, but to each his own when it comes to styling.
MotorTrend's opinion doesnt change my opinion, I prefer the Palisade. The Telluride just doesnt look quite right to me, the hood looks too low, don't like the front end, just don't care for it.

Quick Reply: I dumped the Pacifica... for another Pacifica...